PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Yeah, the snare module is making some block/woody type of sound here. Maybe I should try to use the kick module to make a snare. Well, it’s turned a bit upside down but nevermind.

1 Like

well done! really love the sporadic rhythms, that’s where pulsar really shines

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s sequenced by the Ornament by the way which provides many more cross-modulation capabilities for sure.

1 Like

I just looked up the Plumbutter and found a quote which I felt was ridiculous and bizarre enough to share:

‘Brown bananas are androgynous pulse nodes’.

Back on track though, I am a gnat’s bollock away from buying a Pulsar-23. I’ve been sampling YouTube demos of it via Soundflower and can’t get enough. Would love to hear one in person. Don’t think I can be without one much longer.

2 Likes

Yeah, the world in which Peter Blasser resides is certainly… unique. He’s either a genius or a little unhinged, or maybe both? His instruments are beautiful though, and can be a lot of fun, if they fit your needs. I had a cocoquantus for a while last year. I somewhat regret selling it and somewhat don’t, if that makes any sense.

1 Like

Feeding my Mood and Particle pedals with DFAM and M:S beats has channeled my “sporadic” beats GAS for the moment but the aforementioned gnat’s bollock also exists in the moment.

I think the Pulsar is just residing in a heavenly realm waiting for the right moment to descend into my productive world. It’s nice to acknowledge and feel it’s potential energy without feeling overly compelled to pull the proverbial trigger until it gets pulled.

Such is the misty reality of how some machines come to join the throng and some don’t, whilst some arrive in an instant whilst others bide their time. I am not in control, and that’s just fine :slightly_smiling_face:.

Edit: a pleasant background vibrational GAS also exists for the Coco…but to a lesser extent.

3 Likes

You made GAS sound like an act of love. ”Nobody pulls the trigger until it’s pulled”. Beautiful. :grinning:

My feelings towards the P23 are actually EXACTLY the same.

1 Like

This is really good!
You raised my interest again for the Pulsar!
Damn :yum:

3 Likes

That is actually really nice… I’m hearing potential for lo-fi hip hop in the Pulsar now, damn it I want it even more!

2 Likes

Curious what color everyone went for and why? I would immediately choose black but I tried the white demo one at perfect circuit and I must say it looks gorgeous and is really easy to read. Now I’m torn between white Lyra and white pulsar or white Lyra and black pulsar :scream:

1 Like

It definitely has some, one of the video that made me get mine was this one by Kypski.

I really wanted an orange one but when I found one available it was black. Retrospectively I’m happy about it as it looks good with the other stuff i have.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be a drum machine…

10 Likes

OMG…I just bought a white one…why did I do this …I dont make music, just mess around with these things for fun…look on Reverb in a month or so after I realize I wasted 2K.

7 Likes

There is something special about this instrument when it’s used with more subtle settings. I don’t know why but I just love this kind of stuff.

with the Ornament and Lyra together:

8 Likes

I think many sounds I hear from the Pulsar really suck
I don’t understand why people are so positive. Maybe they have to justify their 2K spent on it.
I don’t want to say Pulsar sucks, I think it can be amazing! But it can also be difficult.

Maybe I will buy one. I sold 2 K equipment, now I have the money to buy one. But I do hesitate.

2 Likes

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If you need a drum machine, then it’s not a good choice, but as a standalone modular synth it’s quite special and which makes it so special is not only the sound, even though the sound palette is really broad, it’s the interface and the general user experience.

5 Likes

Well, today the stars aligned and the moment came.

Captain Pulsar appears to be lined up for delivery later on this month.

Time to clear a bit of space on my wee desk, ready to welcome a bit of Yang to complement Lyra’s Yin… :yin_yang: (I think the DFAM might be looking forward to having a drum bro’ to spar with too).

5 Likes

mind blowing stuff. that crunchy explosion sound is insane

1 Like

A techno patch using the Pulsar only :

3 Likes

The 10v trig input has always kind of bugged me. Till today when I used MI Grids and combined the trig and accent outputs into one track on the Pulsar… lots of variation to be had, a small boost is still needed to active the pitch envelope on BD track but there’s a lot more velocity variation with each hit now… which is nice…

1 Like