PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Well… it’s happening again. I already miss my MD that I’ve sold to buy the Pulsar. It’s a perfect instrument but I think I’m gonna try to use my Pulsar to find a MD-UW :slight_smile:

Where do you live?

Germany/Berlin

As in sell/trade the Pulsar? Wow! You’ve been absolutely killing it on the Pulsar! Hard to say no to a MDUW tho…

2 Likes

I’m still undecided on that. I should find my workflow with the P23. I can use the ND2 as a main drum synth just like before and the Pulsar as a modular synth and a food for the OT. It’s my fault that I see the Pulsar as a drum synth even though it’s basically a modular synth.

2 Likes

After 15 minutes of patching I’m in love again. I actually like using the same patch and building it further for a while but now it was quite refreshing taking all the cables off and starting again.

7 Likes

Since I got it I try to patch a loop every morning before going to work and I find this exercise very rewarding.

3 Likes

What would you all say the learning curve is on this? The most complicated drum machines I used were the tanzbar 2 and digitakt. I couldn’t understand the octatrack or jomox alpha base if that helps, is this that level of confusing?

1 Like

Coming from a modular background I find it not confusing at all, It may be different if you are only used to more traditional drum machines. I wouldn’t talk of a steep learning curve from a technical standpoint but more about exploring its behavior and the less usual routings (audio as CV, feedback loops…).

1 Like

…if u mention a takt as one of the most complicated drum machines u used, don’t get wasted on something like the pulsar…on a takt, which is the most esiast swedish box in their productrange, u know at least what ur missing out on, if it’s not sparkeling for u…
but with a pulsar u’ll never know all those sonic terretories ur constantly just fly by without ever landing…no chance…

1 Like

I should’ve said analog rytm 2. That and the Tanzbar 2 were a little complicated but both fairly straightforward. But yeah I hear your point.

i honestly feel like on the surface it’s very easy to get drum voices & fx without any patching. and the clock generator/trig converter/midi implementation is simple to understand so you can get basic rhythms going day 1. it does take a little time to learn the looper and what patches up nicely together. but of course learning what you’re patching and why it’s behaving the way it is will take the most time. so i’d say the learning curve on this depends on how much you want to know about synthesis, but learning how to use it as a basic drum machine is fast.

2 Likes

The FX processor will require reading the manual.

1 Like

I needed to read up on some electronic concepts for me to fully tackle the diode pins and it’s neighbors…

I think there are multiple layers to this device. It’s semi modular with midi learn function, so it’s incredibly easy to get things going. But then you have the deeper concepts of modular ( VCA, Inverters, attenuators etc.)

And the.n You have the even deeper layers of circuit bending (ground, diode, 10uf etc.)

It’s a playground, if you enjoy the process of learning and exploring the. It doesn’t get better then this.

3 Likes

I hate this drum machine. Every few weeks, just when I think I’ve avoided the GAS, it comes back with a vengeance.

7 Likes

I was in the same place a few months ago, it kept popping up everywhere until I gave up and ordered one. No regrets so far, it’s an amzing machine that really wants to be played.
I’m trying to make a patch every day since I got it and it’s been a lot of fun:

16 Likes

Same, though I just spent a grand and a half on a DFAM + SSL Six and various accessories to “complete” my current semi modular setup. It’s like I know it’s coming but I’ve got enough to work with in the meantime.

I was even considering letting my Elektron silver boxes go to fund a Pulsar, but that one passed…

Nice patches :grin: the right way how should be played :sunglasses:

1 Like

Man those three examples are all really good, thank you for sharing. They could all be the basis for tracks.

1 Like

Thanks! Great music on your bandcamp, you made me look at the model:cycles again!

Thanks man, I’m listening to your soundcloud and I really like your breakbeat stuff!

2 Likes