PSU-3 vs PSU-3b vs PSU-3c

Hi!
Right now at the Elektron web shop you can buy the PSU-3c power supply. This exact model was included with my Syntakt. In Elektron web is said that this model can be used with all the Digi boxes (DT/DN/SY) and with A4 MKI and MKII. Months before, my Digitone and Digitakt came with the PSU-3b model, that has the same specs printed as PSU-3c. I guess I can use any of these 3 power supplies with any of my machines, Digi or Analog series.

On the other hand, the power supply that came with my A4 MKI is model PSU-3 and have different specs printed in the rear panel. My question is: Can I use the PSU-3 with my Digi boxes safely? Can it fry my small machines?

They should all be essentially interchangable. The PSU-3 can provide a bit more amperage, but the amperage delivered is determined by the load, so all of these should work fine.

1 Like

There was a previous post of a similar nature which mentioned one has more audible noise, not in the signal path, but in the ambient environment. It could be referred to as “coil whine” of the transformer. I’ll see if I can locate the thread.

edit:

You’ll have to browse the thread and see if any information is relevant to you.

1 Like

Since my original (Analog Four) PSU-3 died, I have been looking into options for replacement power supply units. Based in China, it wouldn’t make much sense to order an original Elektron PSU (it’s overpriced anyway), so I went on Taobao and found the power supplies from the original manufacturers of the PSU-3 and PSU-3b, with the difference, that both plugs are 2.1mm instead of 2.5mm (bought adapters) — specs and model numbers are identical otherwise.

As for the PSU-3c, I couldn’t find that one. I can confirm that the two PSU-3c units I have for my Digitakt and Analog Heat MKII are indeed making an audible noise. (Didn’t notice before). So I wasn’t eager to look for those.

As an alternative, I bought a cheaper Delta power supply with matching specs, more or less for the fun of comparing their built quality and noise emittance.

Costs were around 13€

Links to products and specs (for reference, and seems possible to find the 2.1mm plug versions for purchase outside China as well):

PSU 3b = GPE024D-120200D
Golden Profit Electronics
https://en.gpetec.com/

PSU 3 = Sunny YSY1319-3012
Sunny Group

Delta ADP-36EHC
Delta
https://www.deltapsu.com/en

3 Likes

For anyone coming across this topic in the future, here are some photos to compare the original Elektron PSUs with the non-Elektron branded PSUs of the original manufacturers (+Delta) mentioned:

They solely differ in the cable and the 2.1mm plug out of the PSU (an adapter to 2.5mm helps)

1 PSU-3b

2 PSU-3

!

3 Delta PSU

Other than the PSU-3c, all are dead silent — I tested these three PSUs with the Analog Four MKI, Analog Heat MKII, Digitone, and Digitakt. All working well, had them on for a few hours.

The Delta PSU is smaller, yet delivers 4A, and the built quality seems fairly well. Costs were 3€ for this one.

Cost-efficient alternatives.

5 Likes

Add-on:

I’d highly recommend using a cable adapter over just a plug since it’s gonna put less stress on the power plug on your Elektron machines. It’s a pretty neat solution.

Now back on the Analog Four & thus having spare PSUs for live gigs — worth the research.

2 Likes

great post. thanks @MMS

So am I getting it right? You can use the PSU from the Syntakt even for the ARMK2 or the OTMK2 and vice Versa? Basically all PSU are interchangeable?

It’s summarized here by Elektron:

PSUs are interchangeable, yet with exceptions:

ANALOG RYTM MKI/MKII, ANALOG FOUR MKI/MKII, OCTATRACK MKII, ANALOG DRIVE, ANALOG HEAT MKI/MKII, DIGITAKT, DIGITONE, DIGITONE KEYS, SYNTAKT

Current Elektron power supply: PSU-3c. These devices were originally shipped with PSU-3, PSU-3b, or PSU-3c. All these devices work with PSU-3 and PSU-3b (With the exception of Analog Drive which doesn’t work with PSU-3). The PSU-3c power supply handles voltages of 100-240 VAC, 50/60Hz.

The power supply you want to use must meet the following specifications:

• Voltage: 12 VDC
  • Minimum Current Rating: 2 A
  • Barrel Connector Size: 5.5 mm outer diameter, 2.5 mm inner diameter
  • Polarity: Positive center
1 Like

Welcome & glad if this is helpful for anyone here in the forum.

1 Like

I found this one - not 100% sure about the connector:

• 【Size】Plug Polarity: Outer - (Minus); Inner + (Plus). Connector diameter outside/inside: 5.5 mm x 2.5 mm, compatible with 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/LEICKE-Universal-Power-Supply-Plug-12-V-4-48-W/dp/B001W3W12E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

This one shall work fine & specified 4A/48w, it might not even get warm.

And to add to my previous posts:

There was an errata, the Delta PSU delivers 3A, not 4A, yet works without a 2.1 to 2.5mm adapter, is dead silent, and doesn’t get as warm as the other PSUs listed.

My RYTM psu got a 50Hz noise, so it was time, i will report if its good after exchange.