Elektron PSU-3c

Just a curiosity thing mainly. Do the newer PSUs ship with new products nowadays? They look really sleek and ‘Apple-like’:

And yes, it’s just a power supply unit and it doesn’t do anything magical. Just wondering if it’s now the standard for new Elektron boxes?

2 Likes

Agreed. But it’s also the least fun part to cart around of otherwise very-lap-friendly boxes. So I tend to have one by each comfy chair about my house and studio. A sleeker, slimmer design isn’t nothing.

2 Likes

I bought an AR and OT as soon as the black OTs were available to pre-order at Andertons (in the UK). The AR came with a PSU-3b, and when the OT arrived a couple of weeks later, it came with a 3c. However, the OT developed a fault with one of the LEDs, so I asked for a replacement. The 2nd one came with a 3b. I thought it was odd at the time.

The 3c’s do seem “nicer” in the way you describe. I think I prefer that my two Elektron PSUs match, now, tho’. Before I kept thinking about which one to plug into which device (I unplug them most days because I shuffle my desk a lot).

2 Likes

You can thank me for that. They were fucking clueless until I pointed out the new black versions were not the AE versions haha. Thanks for the info. So I imagine all new Elektrons now ship with the updated PSU.

3 Likes

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

When did the 3c come out? I purchased a new AR about two months ago and it came with the 3b. It’s probably hit or miss based on build date.

1 Like

No idea actually. Just noticed it when looking at the accessories on the Elektron site.

1 Like

The AE octatrack came with the 3b

Got to admit that new power supply is pretty slick though, and I do wish my AR came with that instead.

1 Like

I bought a black OT and it came with a PSU-3c, had to send that back and replacement came with a PSU-3b. Bought AR and A4 a months or so later and both came with PSU-3b

1 Like

I have a perfect unfaulty OT black that came with 3c. I never noticed what is written on it. Like the “made in Polland” things. You guys have hawk eyes.

1 Like

Tell that to people who are thinking to themselves whether they should bid on this 400€ Elektron midi interface. After all, it’s one of the silver Elektrons. Mind, it’s in mint condition. :rofl:

3 Likes

I love the warm vintage sound I get when I transfer samples to my UW through the TM1, I’ll never sell it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I bought my DT and DN about two years ago and they both came with the PSU-3b.
A few weeks ago I bought my Syntakt and came with the PSU-3c.

PSU-3c is way more compact but spec wise they both seem to have the same numbers.
That means they are interchangeable and I can power any of the 3 Digi-sized machines with any of the PSUs. That’s right?

Syntakt come with the 3c

Yes. Same numbers, and both centre positive. They’re interchangeable.

1 Like

So even though I’m 99.9% sure, I want to be 100….

It’s ok to plug a psu 3b into a Syntakt right?

My ST came with a 3c but I have an extra 3b kicking around which is convenient when taking the takts from their homes.

interchangable, so all good.
if not sure look at supported devices on the official website.

also could you tell me if your 3c has coil whine compared to older 3b? (when device is on)

1 Like

A whine like a high pitched noise? Will check tomorrow and report back! Thanks for the reply

1 Like

my 3b’s are quiet, usually if I get noise it’s coming from a power strip. do you have a noisy psu currently? or are you wondering if the newer unit is noisier than the old design