PSA: Don't update to macOS Big Sur

Must be a shitty job for the devs of OB - I hope they don‘t stumble upon big problems.

1 Like

I’m a full time software architect. Updating libraries and frameworks is a normal part of the job. It’s more fun to build features, sure, but this part isn’t that bad.

Often the really nasty surprises are actually mistakes and shortcuts taken on the previous path. Using APIs that were marked as going away soon. Taking advantage of under specified behavior that is subject to change. Accidentally or intentionally relying on bugs in the system to achieve your goals.

Apple does a good job of maintaining apis as they were described or intended to be used for the most part. Not as good as Microsoft (there are jank apis from the 90s you can still use today) but the cruft that someone like Microsoft accumulates results in a far more complicated and harder to develop system, limiting longer term plans.

The place where apple is unapologizing is relating to things of user privacy. For example, once upon a time any app could just get the webcam. They intentionally broke that at some point because it’s good for the consumer, even if it was bad for app developers.

Drivers is another place where things can break, but it doesn’t have to be that bad. The more companies use common standards, the less their software will break and the better things are for consumers. I don’t feel bad for Roland or Akai needing to fix their bullshit usb audio implementation when they could have just used class compliance.

I also don’t feel bad for users who upgrade mission critical systems (like your music making rig) to beta software. Everyone knows what beta means and even if you didn’t there are tons of disclaimers when you install a beta os.

When the new OS is done, you can get mad at your equipment providers for not being ready. Getting a developer beta for macos is dirt cheap. You get 3+ months to work through issues in your code and it happens at the same time every year so you can plan for it. It is part of the cost of doing business in this space.

10 Likes

…catalina becomes big sur next…!?

if steve could see what happened to his fruit…

…and well, that’s just another chapter in another neverending story…
while every generation step in upgrades is getting shorter and shorter and shorter…
likealltherest…

and there are still users out there that never heard of the oldest rule in digital history…
never change a running system…

i’m becoming old enough for linux, finally…

some bitwig and some harrisson mixbus will do…

Confirmed, none of my Elektron devices are recognized by Overbridge in Big Sur beta

Luckily the OP stated it was his test Mac so you don’t have to not feel bad for him. I’d assume he was doing exactly what Betas are designed for, testing.

2 Likes

Latest Overbridge version 2.0.41.11 that came with the A4 update this week, still doesn’t see the devices (after rebooting 2x) in Big Sur beta.

1 Like

I was hopeful but same here, latest update to OB doesn’t connect to DT or DN. :frowning: :neutral_face:

I feel very frustrated that I can no longer use Elektron devices in the most optimal way. Elektron is still fixing macOS Catalina issues from a year ago and there is no solution for Big Sur that will be released very soon. Why do they expect anyone to stick with old OSs?? Other devices are all up to date, why not Elektron? We wanna move on!!

There have been some pretty significant changes in the mac ecosystem.

No more 32bit applications/new shell/system library locations/security models/etc…

With Apple, security updates are still provided to recent versions of their OS.

I use Catalina without an issue but obviously YMMV.

Then once the ARM/x86 machines come out in tandem, things will get even more interesting.

Unless you have a specific “business” case for upgrading to the new OS, I would suggest only doing so once security updates/support are no longer provided or whenever the new OS is supported by your software of choice.

1 Like

Nah… I know it‘s tough for programmers these days to keep up with Apple‘s product cycles. Still … everybody knew that there won‘t be 32 bit in future releases for years. Guess they are just a bit short on well versed (Apple) coders to keep up.

I personally don‘t want to miss out for all the new drivers and features new OS‘ offer. If you are a professional it‘s of course better to stay with macOS 10.12 or something :smile:

Has Someone the new beta installed? Maybe the Plugin works with disabled security features?

All good points, but my point is that I can’t stay with an old macOS just because of Elektron. On Big Sur beta, Studio One 5 is running, Ableton One (beta) is stable (and of course there’s Logic), all Arturia and NI gear works, and I use macOS a lot for other productivity. Elektron gear doesn’t determine whether I upgrade or not, but it is still a big pity that they are not ready. The world is moving on Elektron!
So I want an Overbridge that recognizes my devices in macOS Big Sur (including an updated Octatrack ;))

That’s fair, I was just giving some information.

I guess working in an enterprise style corp I just got used to sticking with a stable OS vs. new features :joy:

Glad your other software works!

1 Like

Tx for your kind replies and interest, and coping with a bit of my frustration :sweat_smile: :fist_left:

1 Like

This is a problem with Apple being so dominant. They can release OS updates that break everything, and the cost of fixing that is outsourced to every other development company in the world. Apple releases an OS update that allows snazzier animations or something, and every software company has to dedicate half their staff to fixing compatibility for the next six months. It’s what you call “externalising costs”.

2 Likes

Dont ever update to an Apple beta unless you know that Apple hasn’t broken the software and hardware integrations you have.

You’re on an advance copy, it’ll be “new” when it actually gets released. Now you’re tinkering with something in an early stage. That’s what “beta” means. The current OS won’t be “old” until it’s surpassed.

Perhaps i’ve missed where you mentioned any reason why advance software is necessary beyond wanting a shiny.

1 Like

Deliberately bought a new Macbook Air before Big Sur drops. Didn’t want everything breaking… and that’s not even my main music-making machine.

Still on High Sierra on the late 2012 Mac Mini that sits in the studio. After using Catalina for a while on the Air, I can’t see any reason to update the Mini to anything newer besides being able to use software in the future that no longer supports the older OS. I think I’ve always been at least a version behind on every Apple OS for the past 10 years and that seems to have served me well.

3 Likes

Having this BigSur/OB problem as well , a bit ordinary there’s no access to old downloads of OB.

Anyone know if there’s a Beta for Big Sur yet?

Yes; read this topic:

Yea, I saw that…in fact I’m the latest post there as well. I still don’t see a Beta anywhere. So I guess the “we are working on a solution” bit means there isn’t anything public for testing.