PSA: Don't update to macOS Big Sur

Unsurprisingly, things stop working after a new major version update. I installed the developer beta on a test Mac, and it seems Overbridge is no exception. My Digitone is no longer identified by the software after the update. Just to be sure, I reinstalled Overbridge and double checked the configuration on my hardware. I haven’t seen any other forum posts about this so I thought I’d just put out a warning for any trigger happy beta rockers like me. The Elektron support has been informed.

TL;DR
Don’t update to macOS Big Sur yet.

10 Likes

The latest Catalina update gives already a Legacy System Extension warning, so I guess in Big Sur it’s “time over”.

1 Like

Oh right, that’s it. I’ve had another software that used System Extensions that has been updated with a different architecture since the Big Sur beta was released. Sounds like it’ll keep the Overbridge dev team busy enough over the summer :smile:

I still haven’t upgraded to Mojave :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I don’t actually know what the point is of constantly making new OSes any more. They seem to just do it for the hell of it.

What the hell is the point. I was doing the same shit on my computer 10 years ago. Nothing has changed except 10 pointless new OSes for everyone to battle with.

14 Likes

True. Their updating intervals are way too high. It is problematic for developers and just time consuming for users as you always want a clean install. I used Snow Leopard until 2017 without problems. I use Mojave now which I will probably use for the next 10 years.

2 Likes

And interesting fact: Snow Leopard was less buggy and overal faster. The osx now just feels faster because the system has an SSD. Finder especially has become a slow turtle with lot’s of glitches

1 Like

A few thoughts.

Obviously you shouldn’t run a beta os and expect shit to work out of the gate. This isn’t your first rodeo is it?

The software does provide some quality of life improvements. And I appreciate that we only have to deal with things breaking yearly instead of every month. The changes are pretty minor on the surface for sure. Thank god we don’t pay for them any more.

The “it used to be faster” argument is so flawed. Windows 3.1 would be insanely fast today. My first pc had 33mhz cpu and we could play some (simple) games and write documents and shit. But that doesn’t mean I want to run that mess today.

5 Likes

Sure, only I was using a 2007 laptop. Never really upgraded. Finder currently is a turtle. Sorry to disappoint you.
You can not downgrade a 2010 laptop to snow leopard. You can only downgrade to the osx the unit shipped with and osx’s that came after that.
Even Finder in Tiger was faster.
And it goes even further, my current laptop has some exotic thunderbolt port that is pretty much useless. I have to pay hundreds of dollars to connect a drive or whatever. (To pay for adapters. Or pay 500 for a compatible drive, because no one uses it. Because it was abandoned after 2 weeks). They just keep updating and changing for the sake of updating and changing: “Think Different”. Hello.

1 Like

it is even anoying with the mac new os frequency, cause a mac isn‘t an iphone.
Luckily there is no responsibility to upgrade on an mac systems, hope they let this in the line…
I am on Mojave with a mbp mid 2017 and everything works really well.

Mac updates are super annoying. Just break everything and let the developers who make most of the software people use fix it and take the heat from customers. Outsourcing the work they should have done themselves…

1 Like

While it’s a Mac problem things you can usually expect: Native Instruments, Steinberg and Ableton will need a few weeks/months to tweak to the new OS…and Overbridge development will be set back a few years haha
Kidding aside I believe Overbridge 1 was patched for the then newer OS (El Cap I believe) the following February but some people had it up and working. Overbridge 2 isn’t Overbridge 1 and Elektron does have a lot more instruments that must support it…

My Hackintosh is a massive PITA when it comes to updates so I usually wait until at least the third version of a new OS before taking the risk. Also, I create a bootable clone of my system SSD, just to be safe. Probably good practice even if you’re running Apple hardware.

1 Like

Why do they keep churning out OS’s like this? I stuck with Sierra up until last year.

I’m sorry, what? Would you prefer they just… don’t work on improving the OS?

2 Likes

So what was wrong with it and can you show me in real world terms what’s improved? Dark Mode?

It was a genuine question, but it says a lot when people get angry about genuine questions.

I think the updates lately are more focused on total Apple eco system integration. Things like handing off from your iPhone to your Mac, HomeKit integrations, and newer “built in” apps and day to day functionalities like notification based things, and mostly ease of use across all of your devices. Unlocking from your devices etc…

And now obviously a complete change to new hardware (again).

This is just my opinion though…

I like the new functionalities they add, but for my music computer, especially, I don’t upgrade unless I have to.

3 Likes

Even if you ignore the features that don’t apply to music production, there is still a lot they’ve improved for us. Many I consider essential…

• Bug fixes, including some major ones where audio interfaces would crash T2 macs
  • Voice Memos app for recording quick ideas
  • Major upgrades/features in Logic Pro, these are sometimes possible thanks to low-level changes in the OS
  • Dark Mode and TrueTone display support for working late at night
  • Finder and Spotlight search improvements for managing many files
  • APFS support for smarter, smaller(compressed), and faster data management on the drive
  • etc, etc, etc

The list gets stupid long if you consider non-music oriented users. Just because you don’t need these features, and happy with the OS you’re on, doesn’t mean others don’t need these things.

The phrasing “churning out” implied a displeasure with the rate of releases, and frankly didn’t seem like an honest question, but there’s your honest answer.

My only gripe of the last few years is the death of 32bit, without a good way to wrap those 32bit plugins, apps, into 64bit runtime. Though… it’s a completely rational change. Nobody should be writing 32bit apps any more. However, some of us are nursing old plugins along that haven’t been updated yet.

7 Likes

Yearly releases bring a sanity and cadence to software development. Apple nudges it’s users and developers towards it’s goal years before it gets there. It’s been clear Apple has been working on the transition to ARM (Apple Silicon) macs for 3 years now. First step is to remove 32-bit support, then remove legacy system extension support, then remove x86 support (the big switch, to RISC based processors).

You can argue wether it’s better or worse to do this slowly, or in one big go, but it needed to happen. Intel has been absolutely bombing the last few years, with terrible performance gains. Apple knows it’s own silicon will give massive performance gains at cheaper prices. It’s in user’s best interest, but will be uncomfortable until the transition is mature

6 Likes

FWIW - I also confirmed that OB does not work with the Big Sur public beta.

I missed this message, and tried it. Good thing I had a full backup, so I could roll back to Catalina.