Proton from Behringer

The Behringer Proton

They cloned and improved their own Neutron.

From their Facebook page :

• Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled for multi-timbral sounds

• Semi-modular design requires no patching for immediate performance

• Pure analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs

• Dual oscillators with 5 waveforms, oscillator sync, pulse width modulation and individual sub-oscillators

• Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, pulse, sawtooth, triangle and sine)

• 2 self-oscillating, multi-mode VCFs can be configured in parallel or series with linkable CVs

• 2 ASR envelopes with reverse/inverse/loop/bounce options to control VCAs and wave folder

• 2 analog ADSR generators for modulating the VCFs for unique sound performance

• Multi-mode wave folder adds rich harmonic content and massive flexibility to the LFOs

• 2 flexible LFOs with 5 waveforms, MIDI clock sync, key sync, phase and depth controls

• Noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation

• External audio can be summed into one or both VCFs to massively enhance sound generation

• Utility functions include attenuverters, multiples, signal/CV mixer and summer for creative patching

• External audio input with level control and soft clipping circuit for processing external sound sources

• 64 patch points for advanced modular connection and integration with external equipment

• 68 controls give you direct and real-time access to all important parameters

• Complete Eurorack solution –main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case

• Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection

ADDED ( 13 June 2023 ) : Expanding this thread the only way i can :

Comparing the Neutron and the Proton:

Features Neutron Proton
Oscillators 2 with 5 wave-forms 2 with 5 wave-forms
Paraphonic and Sync Mode yes yes
Sub-Oscillators 0 2
Multi-Mode filters 1 2 (series or parallel)
ASR envelopes 0 2 with looping, reverse, inverse, bounce options
ADSR envelopes 2 2
LFOs 1 with 5 waveforms 2 with 5 waveforms
Wave folder no yes
Analog BBD Delay yes no
Sample & Hold yes no
Overdrive yes no
Noise Generator yes yes
Patch bay points 56 64
Knobs and direct controls 43 68

I think it would be good to combine the two.

Moderators : Is it possible to reopen this thread ?

ADDED : Get ready, it appears Behringer is about ready to start production. ( post )

ADDED : July 17, 2024

It’s Shipping !

16 Likes

I wonder if it’s one of the econo builds or a bit more robust like its sister product … its price will hint at this perhaps

Need to listen to see if this is West coast enough for my tastes

2 Likes

It sounds like i wish my neutron would sound :joy:

1 Like

If I had the space I’d grab one of these and the Neutron (had it years ago in my first synth dalliance), stack them on top of one another in a case, with my Q Swarm and a few extra modules.

But I don’t, so I won’t.

1 Like

Looks cool, I always wanted a Neutron!

I want to see some in depth reviews looking at the wave-folding.

I think pair this with a generative sequencer or arp ( Turing machines included ) would be a good option.

Or just pairing this with a nice MIDI/CV keyboard, and treating it like a mono synth would work for me too.

1 Like
4 Likes

Looks actually pretty cool and seems to sound nice. I feel you can achieve more sound shaping with this than the new labyrinth, and I would prefer to drop the generative sequencer and get many more modulation, filter, patch point and waveform option.
I can see it nicely paired with the dam.

Edit: it’s also 20hp bigger …

Shame they removed S&H and midi gate, this is essential for me if I wanted to use it standalone. Would be great as a Neutron companion though.

1 Like

$399. Meh.

That video was drenched in reverb and delay, too. I know they sell those in pedal form, but they ought to have been more up front while using them.

2 Likes

Will it keep my music safe from spying governments though?

I know there are a lot of features and it’s technically eurorack but doesn’t $400 (same price as the pro 800) seem kind of steep for a behringer desktop mono?

1 Like

We the consumer believes that no company should ever charge more than $199 for a desktop mono.

2 Likes

yeah it’s definitely relatively cheap but not quite at the level that usually makes behringer stuff so tempting

No promise, but recall they’ve set a price on a brand new item, it even appears on store pre-orders, and then immediately drop the price significantly before any customers get delivery. So that’s possible. They did it with the UB-Xa, and i seem to recall the same with one of the semi-modulars recently.

Regardless, they do drop prices over time as well.

The Neutron is $350 USD, as well.

2 Likes

Bit of newb to the modular thing but this seems like a great foundation for a little set up. Would I be able to directly hook it up to vcv rack or would I need some kind of converter module?? Cheers

I totally thought they were just fuckin around with the delay but I just put it together (I’m…often…slow…) that they didn’t include the Neutron delay on this. Oddly.

1 Like

You can use midi or CV.
Check out this video, I think it’ll tell you everything you need to know.

https://youtu.be/s-bhfv68drM?si=vBpL05I-jQoDM_tI

No MIDI on the back of these cases is a big design flaw.

Is there an easy mod for that?

Try to replicate that with eurorack gear and you will see that it is cheap.

1 Like