The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

Proton is now fully approved and ready for production.
We’re super excited as this is one of the most powerful and complex analog synthesizers ever packed into a Eurorack casing.

Also good news on the ENIGMA. They are completing their first prototype.

Same for the UB-X. They have employed Scott Rider for that too.

UB-X

Plus Solina has been received by a few customers from Thomann.

8 Likes

Wow that Proton looks really slick. Is it offering different trigger options for the ASR? That is really slick. This might be one of their most feature packed devices yet! It’s like a bunch of euro modules slammed together in a cohesive package. This one had peaked my interest. Also glad that they didnt bother adding any efx. It’s never really been their strong suit.

2 Likes

I can’t shake this idea of a setup with four semi-modular synths all sequenced via Circuit Tracks. I have one already (Neutron), and I’m thinking the next two would be Proton and Model 15… What should the last one be? (Assume another Behringer to keep this hypothetical shopping spree somewhat under control.)

1 Like

Two questions, I’m not here to start a moral discussion on B,
I myself have both Td3 and am delighted,
so are the Neutron and the Proton original creations?
If they are based on existing synths, which ones?
(I’m not talking about the very “sporty” colors of the interfaces :upside_down_face:)

Both designed in house, UK I believe

2 Likes

People like comparisons, finding similarity and difference. When they announce the Proton Behringer amusingly said they cloned themselves
– meaning the Neutron.

You can read detail on the Proton in my unplugged thread. ( When appropriate does that thread get revived ? I wanted to post this there. ) From that you can see the similarities and differences.

Neutron vs Proton:

Features Neutron Proton
Oscillators 2 with 5 wave-forms 2 with 5 wave-forms
Paraphonic and Sync Mode yes yes
Sub-Oscillators 0 2
Multi-Mode filters 1 2 (series or parallel)
ASR envelopes 0 2 with looping, reverse, inverse, bounce options
ADSR envelopes 2 2
LFOs 1 with 5 waveforms 2 with 5 waveforms
Wave folder no yes
Analog BBD Delay yes no
Sample & Hold yes no
Overdrive yes no
Noise Generator yes yes
Patch bay points 56 64
Knobs and direct controls 43 68
Quarks 1 up, 2 down 2 up, 1 down

What also has been said is that the Proton is like a more West coast Neutron. They are using Cool Audio parts inside, so this does bring a sound.

It seems you can find influences, as you can with most other synths from most other companies. So in that way then these are like all those synths too.

[ Reference ]

ADDED : Quarks

3 Likes

I’m excited for the Proton. Had a Neutron and only traded it off because of the classic piece of gear I traded towards. Meant to get a replacement but then saw the Proton announcement and see it as an upgraded Neutron.
I was just thinking to myself if Behringer did all the clones to prove they’ve got the know how and gain lots of attention, and if soon they’ll begin to release their own designs. They could surely come up with some really great ides with all the talented engineers they have.

2 Likes

Many articles on the Proton said that it has wavefolding.

Sonicstate :
Looks like the same VCOs, but with added wave folding,

SynthAnatomy :
For additional rich harmonic content, Proton also hosts a multi-mode wave folder with symmetry and fold controls.

Gearnews :
There’s a wavefolder, noise generator and a whole host of useful utilities to broaden the patching experience.

1 Like

Haha, yeah I had a look at your handy table and saw it listed. Had another look at the panel and had overlooked it.
Thanks for the concise proof.
The wavefolder does look to have a lot of flexibility and control. Something quite a few wavefolders lack. I’m most excited to explore that and the ASR Envelopes to what they’re capable of producing.
Was looking for a Ring Mod, but perhaps that can be achieved via the patchbays sum a/sum b?

Cascadia-lite?

I really like that the WF has both IN and OUT, plus two CV controls in the CV patch bay.

2 Likes

Yes definitely. That’s going ro make for some interesting transients.

It strikes me if people seek alternative comparison products for the Neutron & Proton one could consider the Cre8audio East Beast & West Pest. Different functionally, but similar enough, and same price point, to be competitive. Those might be good if you have an allergy. :slight_smile:

ADDED NOTE : It’s allergy season where i am here in North America !

2 Likes

If you’re referring to me, I wasn’t looking for an alternative, I was just wondering, no allergy here I’m quite happy with some of their clones :+1:.
I’ve heard good things about DeepMind and Neutron and I find it interesting that they also make personal products, plus I’m sure it’s good for their image.
Producing interesting original synths at the B price is in my opinion very good for music and musicians.

No i wasn’t.

1 Like

It’s almost two months now since Behringer posted about closing deals with two Kickstarter start ups. Really interested to get more detail on this and to see what else they might do with this sort of thing.

Interesting colour choice. Naturally, it would seem that it’s a nod to PPG. But it’s not.

No that’s this …

Behringer Wave ( thread )

Now that i’ve mentioned that, where is it ? It should be ready to go. It’s not the 3rd Wave but it’s no where near the price.

The Kobol is now fully developed and scheduled for production.

Hopefully soon !!

The morph between waveforms as on the original Kobol should be nice. Looking for a video of this prototype.

6 Likes

Behringer mono with presets - the only kind I’ll ever buy again so this is exciting. I’m tired of patching from scratch on fixed architecture synths, life is too short

1 Like