Program change to Prophet rev 2 from Digitakt

I can’t get my Digitakt to change programs on my Prophet Rev 2. When I manually change the program number on the track it changes on the Rev 2, but this does not work when changing patterns . I have program send turned on and have tired trigless trigs(yellow). Both machines have the latest firmware installed. Any suggestions or fixes out there?

1 Like

Is your Digi enabled to send Program Changes? By default it isn’t (I think?). Check Settings > MIDI Config > Sync > Prog CH Send

Edit

Sorry I misread your post and see you have change send enabled. What do you mean it works manually but not when changing patterns?

Also under Channels at the bottom you can set what channel the Program Change Out is sent from. Default is AUTO. Try setting this to the prog ch receive channel on Rev to make sure it’s not an issue using auto.

1 Like

yeah same with monologue though. Working by hand perfect . Parameter locks to change patches not working properly

By manually I mean using the program number know by hand to select a patch it works but it somehow is not transmitted when the pattern starts. I’ll try the channel method and let you know if that works. Thanks!

If I go to channels and set the Program out channel to the Prophet receive channel(4) The program change is sent but has no relation to the program number in that track for the pattern. The program on the Prophet starts at 33 on pattern bank C pattern 1 and goes up in numerical sequence with each successive pattern. I know this sounds crazy and complicated but if I use your channel method there seems to be a set program change sent out no matter what the program number on that track . I am using two Roland Boutique synths with this same system and their program changes work fine.

Hmmm maybe it’s an issue with the Rev and not DT if the two other Roland synths work?

Btw what boutiques are you using? Been looking at picking up one of their poly offerings but can’t decide.

I think that you might be a bit confused between the two ways that the Digitakt can send Program Change (PC) messages.

One way is to have the DT automatically send a Program Change message whenever it moves to a different pattern. You set up this method by:

• activating PROG CH SEND in the DT’s SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC menu;
  • setting the appropriate MIDI channel number for PROGRAM CH OUT CH in the DT’s SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu.

You don’t need to set anything in the DT’s MIDI sequencer tracks to use the above method.

The second way is to send PC messages from the DT’s MIDI tracks by setting a value for PROG in the SRC page of a MIDI sequencer track. In this case the PROG CH SEND in the SETTINGS menu should be deactivated.

Which method do you want to use?

3 Likes

What PC is sent when pattern changes? Does it send the PC number of the pattern you change to?

I’m using the SE-02 ( only analog but monophonic) and the JP-08( very good also for chords and poly stuff).

1 Like

Very cool. I looked at the JP-08 and the JU-06 but could never decide (did not have experience with the originals) but now they’re both out of production so… :frowning:

I want to use the Program change messages in the SRC page of the MIDI sequencer track but this never changes anything on the Rev 2.

OK. It’s likely that you have performed the following steps already but there is no harm in double-checking.

You should probably ensure that you are using the latest version of the firmware: 1.11.

Connect a working MIDI cable from DT’s MIDI Out port to the Rev2 MIDI In port.

On the DT:

• in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > SYNC menu, disactivate PROG CH SEND;

• in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu, set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”, and set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”.

In the Rev2’s Global settings:

• set “MIDI Channel” to the desired value (beware Multi Mode, where different channels can be set);

• set “MIDI Program Enable” to “On”;

Back on the DT, in the pattern where you want to make the Program Change:

• choose a MIDI sequencer track;

• on the SRC page, set the MIDI channel number to match the number you set on the Rev2;

• set the PROG number to the number of the Rev2’s Program that you want (you may need to adjust the value by 1 depending on how the Rev2 counts its Programs).

This should change the Rev2’s Program when you change to this pattern. You can also parameter-lock Program Change messages on any sequencer step instead.

3 Likes

I’m having the same issue and this doesn’t resolve it.
It’s driving me a bit nuts.
I can change the patch manually but the sequencer wont change the patch?

Can you please explain why you would turn prog change “off”
Cheers, steve

Same question to you:

Hi Peter thanks for your response.
The second method is what I would prefer to use.
I have followed these steps and it still won’t work. Is there a particular lock I should be placing in order to achieve this?

I don’t have a Digitakt but I presume that you can just set the PROG value on the SRC page. You can also parameter-lock the value on a specific sequencer step.

If it still doesn’t work, first check whether you can send MIDI notes to the Rev2 from the same sequencer. Also check whether you can send Program Change messages using the first method.

I can send notes to the synth from digi sequencer and trig the arp, so it is indeed receiving notes.
I can change patches on the synth by manually turning the prog knob.

It just refuses to change patch otherwise. Very Frustrating!

Did you try the first method?

Also, if you can, post a photo of your SRC page settings.

In the case of the first method, When I change from say pattern 1 to pattern 15 the synth will change from pattern 1 to pattern 15.

Ideally I would like to change from pattern 1 to pattern 2 on the digitakt, with the synth patch changing to 15.

So the second method is what you should use.

For testing purposes, also try another pattern and even a fresh project.