Program change to monologue query

Hi guys, I’m trying to decide between the Digitakt and Model Samples and I was leaning toards the Digitakt for the midi sequencing options.

I’m hoping to fire out program changes to my Monologue so it will switch presets/patterns with pattern changes from the Digitakt, but I’m reading some info about it not really working like that.

Can anyone please advise? If it doesn’t really work that way I may just opt for the Model Samples instead. Cheers.

The Digitakt can send Program Change messages when its pattern changes, and also on any sequencer step if desired. What “info” are you reading?

See also:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply,

That’s exactly how I thought and hoped it worked, but a chap on a facebook group told me he had some problem getting the Digitakt to control his Minilogue in the same way I want to use it with my Monologue. I’ve also searched this forum and read a bit of info about patterns not switching instantly on external gear.

I really really like the sequencer on the Monologue and would love to still use that, using the Digitakt to automate pattern changes for me. Sounds like I’m good to go, maybe the chap on facebook had a bit of user error. Cheers!

I have both the Monologue and Minilogue. With my minilogue, there is a slight delay in preset changing.

However, my monologue changes instantly. Even tested with a different preset on each of the 16 steps in a sequence.

1 Like

For the laggy ones, you can always put the change trig on the last step of the previous pattern.

3 Likes

Whenever I change a pattern on the DT e.g. A04, the Monologue will change to program 004 instead of listening to the program change 082 that I’ve set up on the SRC page.

How do I prevent this from happening?

On the MIDI config/sync page you need to set PRG CH SEND to off (automatically send a program change which matches the pattern number you switch to).

1 Like

Okay, so I tried that and it worked temporarily. I then accidentally pressed stop 3x on the DT and the monologue went back to matching the current DT pattern number again. Why is this happening?

This also happens whenever I change pattern or open a different song, meaning that I have to manually select the monologue program from the SRC page, which is audible and not ideal for a live performance.

Also whenever I live record on any of the sample tracks I can hear a low note on the monologue being triggered. This happens on every track unless I exclusively use the monologue to trigger samples.

Are you in a new project? What happened to the PRG CH SEND setting on the DT?

The PRG CH SEND setting is seemingly activated in the default setting for the project.

Save a project with the settings as you like them and use that project as a template for your future work.

1 Like

You probably have TRIG KEY DEST set to “Ext” or “Int + Ext” in the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu. Set it to “Int” instead.

I’ve turned off PROG CH SEND in both my template and my test projects, but whenever I switch between them I still have to manually do the program change otherwise I’ll still have the Monologue patch from the previous project.

If you want to program a specific Monologue program for your project (or, in fact, any pattern in your project) then you can do so in the SRC page of a MIDI track on the DT. This is independent of the automatic program changes that you were experiencing before.

1 Like

I already have my projects set up like this.

The issue I have is that when I switch between projects, instead of the monologue program changing to the current projects SRC state it will still reference the patch from the previous project despite the program change state that I’ve saved in the current projects SRC page. So I have to manually select the patch from the SRC page every time I open a different project.

Should not be the case. I have this exact setup on my desk right now… The DT has 3 midi channels set to control the Monologue. I don’t even have to stop and start the sequence. I can unmute one channel and it changes the program / patch and starts playing. You can’t play them all at the same time but you already know that. You could play multiple patches though per-step, each step having a different patch to trigger.

Channel / Bank / Prog

2 Likes

I recently faced something similar with pattern change with a different Monologue patch on destination pattern. The solution I found is (on destination pattern):

• Set midi channel (controlling Minilogue ofc) first trig as a trigless trig, with your patch change via src page.
  • Use micro timing on 2nd step if you want it to start on the beginning of the pattern.

This may work with project change.
The only cons of this way are:

• unintuitive
  • may be problematic if you need to sequence on all steps, as you will have to micro timing everything, and forget about last step.

Hope this helps :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, this is actually a pretty useful hack.

Anyhow I figured it out! After loading a project I have to press PTN + [X] for the program change to be sent to the Monologue, then all program changes in the project perform as necessary. Counterintuitive considering the purpose of sending program changes, but it works. Perhaps this can be addressed in a future firmware update.

2 Likes

Good to know too, thanks a lot. Yes, it would be nice if fixed in future update.

Oh Dang I guess I didn’t read the op well enough. Sorry!

Ended up with some good info in this thread though so win for he community I guess. Will reference the trigless trig hack if I run into this!

No problem :wink: it helps me to remember I can use multiple DT midi tracks to send multiple lfo/cc to Monologue in addition to its 4 native automation, plug this Monologue in the Electribe2 audio input, split the signal to differents tracks, use different modulations and fxs on each and …
Oh my god, I don’t have (yet) an Octatrack, I would lost myself :smiley:
Edit: I mentally replaced “Monologue” by “Blofeld in multimode” in this post: holy s…t!!!

1 Like