Random trigs : probability hacks on old trinity

There are hacks to have probabilistic trigs on the old gear…
Knowledge can be found here and there, but how to achieve true probability trig on :elmd: / :elmm: / :elot: ?

• pure random probability ?
  • no linear lfo on linear lfo on linear lfo as it’s complex but still periodic)
  • controllable probability
  • random probability is 50% on. How about reaching 75% ? Or x% ?
5 Likes

Would you have a link to some details of those hacks? I did a quick search here but couldn’t find anything.

I still haven’t had the time to do so, but look for probabilistic hacks, random lfo, and maybe @Tarekith’s tips’n’tricks compilation…

Ok one idea for MM : square lfo1 on vol amp + ran lfo2 on lfo1 depth

Think that might give you similar results as a RND LFO on amp volume - RND LFO 2 on square LFO 1’s rate might do it though?

Will have a play tonight.

RND LFO on AMP VOL would not give 0 or 100% VOL, but all the values in between.
To have trig probability, you want either 0 or 100.
Thus the square wave on the LFO that does AMP VOL.

Now all the thing is how to get on the highest or lowest part of this square wav.

Yeah, but RND LFO on a square LFO’s DEPTH will adjust the amount of that LFO that affects the target parameter. It wouldn’t toggle it between min and max. So if the square LFO is at max/127, and you apply a RND LFO that happens to be in the middle (eg 64) to its depth, you are only modulating the target parameter by 64, not 0 or 127.

I think one way to do it would be to put a square LFO on amp vol, max depth, and set to HOLD, and then put a random LFO on its INTERLACE, which is the rate at which it alternates the LFO value with zero. So sometimes it will trig with 127 and sometimes with 0.

I also think a square wave LFO set to HOLD on amp vol, with its rate being modulated by a random LFO, could do it. But then you might need a third LFO on the RAND one to adjust what the resulting probability would be. I need to have a play with it…

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking

Wouldn’t this work for pure random? (I only have OT, so I don’t know how it maps to MD, MM)
Amp: Vol 0
LFO 1 - Wave Square, Pmtr Amp Vol
LFO 2 - Wave Random, Depth > 0, Trig Hold, Pmtr LFO 1 Depth

1 Like

you’d need an external midi input but CC3 on relevant channel is MUTE On/Off for :elmm:

there’s a few approaches to achieve random, conditional and weighted probability triggering the mutes from ableton/max etc

No… as I was trying to explain, the DEPTH value (on MM at least) does not control the actual LFO value, it is the amount by which the LFO value affects the target parameter. So when a RAND LFO affects the depth, it is setting it to continuous, random values, not switching it between the min and max limits of the square wave shape.

What we need is a random way of trigging either max or min values, and I think a random LFO on the rate of a square LFO set to HOLD would probably do it, as it would change the rate at which the square LFO is cycling in the background, while not causing on-off effects on the amp vol between trigs.

2 Likes

cheers for the tips … tried this on the machinedrum, works nicely.

lfo square wave on hihat volume parameter, used the bassdrum’s lfo, set to random, to target the hihat’s lfo speed.

awesome!

2 Likes

Nice! Good to hear. Looking forward to experimenting later. I want to find a way to adjust the relative probability… :sketchy:

1 Like

Hi Hat’s lfo:

Param = vol

Shape 1 is set to square
(and the Shape Mix is all the way left, using Shape 1 for the lfo data)

Update is Hold

Speed is 103

Depth is 119

Bassdrum’s LFO is routed to the Hi Hat track
Param is LFOSpeed, Shape 1 is Random and the Shape Mix is all the way left.

Update is Hold

Speed is 41

Depth is 127

Voila, probability trigs achieved on Machinedrum yay :slight_smile:

cheers for the awesome thread.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I suck at this kind of deep math/theory and unable to follow the thought through to its conclusion without being hands on, but wondering if midi loopback might also have an option for this kind of workaround on OT if you have spare midi tracks?

1 Like

i just thought about that as well but then you would need to really make sure that things don’t go wrong at some point (MIDI loop probability :open_mouth: :slight_smile: ) especially in a liveset…

Ah, that was where I’d seen it! Thanks.

Ok I see it now… Indeed it does work. :thup:
Can’t see how to achieve a x% right now, but I’ll think about it :slight_smile:

isn’t it magnificent? omg cheers for the inspiration fabulous peoples :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cheers for the share. this was the key to achieving probability trigs on the machinedrum. i like the way you think.

4 Likes