PreenFM3

Wondering if PreenFM3 is good from drum sounds?

Also is it possible to save patches and recall them with DT prgm change? CC? How good it is as a DT expander?

If anyone has a finished build, would be wonderful to get a sound. 0 vids on YouTube.

1 Like

I will definately a preenfm when I go back to hardware. This seems like a nice soldering project and a nice product in the end.

For someone who has never soldered or really done anything with circuitry before, would this be a good first choice? I love the sound of this thing and the price is great.

I’d try something simpler
I started on mini atmegatron,
You could try something that is faulty and practice removing/ adding components …

Getting used to the tools, using flux , solder removal

Maybe try a guitar pedal or something ?

2 Likes

I agree with @re5et.
Check this thread:

3 Likes

Thanks @re5et @LyingDalai

I think I may try changing a capacitor on a bass guitar first. I don’t want to hijack this thread anymore, so let’s stop talking about this!

3 Likes

It’s a really trivially easy build but the cost of getting it wrong or damaging it would be way too high for me if it was my first build…

I am interested by a PreenFM 3 but i never tried any FM synth. Would you say it is somehow possible to apprehend and use for a total beginner? Or would i be totally lost?

I’ve been there, and also tried Volca FM and various analog gear offering FM.
My advice would be to get a Digitone.
PreenFM offers all the parameters one would need, but lots of menu switching. For instance, every envelope of every operator has 8 parameters.
It makes no sense for a beginner.

The Digitone, in the contrary, simplifies the workflow a loooot and makes it easier to explore FM soundscapes, and tame what you find with the filters…

I thought the UI was simplified on the v3. Did you try a v3 or…?

The DN is attractive but alas 3x more expensive… (and 3x less outputs).

I am by no means an FM synth expert. I’ve found that the Preen has been an excellent way to learn how FM synthesis actually works, if you are motivated to learn. Like any piece of hardware, it takes time to get familiar with the interface, but it’s no harder than learning to use the OT for example.

3 Likes

The 3 is definitely more intuitive than the 2, mostly due to it having a graphical representation of what’s going on, so you have to picture less in your head. But it doesn’t, IMHO, do a lot to help you understand how the parameters affect the sound, or build up intuition of how to get from where you are to a sound you have in your head. As a result, without an intermediate understanding of FM, it’s mostly a preset/randomize player. And for that limited usage, it doesn’t feel worth the investment to me.

The thing is, to get to the intermediate FM level, it really helps to have an FM synth by your side to listen to while working through tutorials (like the excellent Sound on Sound series from decades ago). The PreenFM3’s graphic interface is excellent for this (much better than the 2!) as it lets you easily relate what the tutorial is talking about to what you’re doing in the engine.

But any of a number of software FM packages (Dexed, OPS7, FM8, DXi, NFM, FM4) are just as good for this if not better. And are way cheeper if not free.

So if you’re iffy on whether FM will be for you, you can learn a lot more with much less up-front investment going software-first. On the other hand, if your new year’s resolution is “FM ALL THE THINGS!” you’re eager to dive in, and you feel confident you’ll keep at it enough to get to the real value, the PreenFM3 is a fantastic synth and I don’t think you’ll regret it.

3 Likes

Using the software editor makes it a lot more user friendly. Altho i dont use it that much i love my FM3 and using the editor really opened it up for me.

every time I come back to the preen, never available to buy :frowning:
eurorack module looks awesome too. double sad face.

1 Like

I want the preenfm3, but can’t find it for sale anywhere :frowning:

on sale now for those who are curious. (2 in stock)

2 Likes

There’s no feedback in the algorithms? Just looking at the manual. Seems it’s not part of the architecture

Yeah, though the ops do multiple waveforms, including noise. On FM synths that have it, I’m usually using feedback just to make saw-like or noise-like ops out of sines anyway. No need when you can just select that shape directly.

2 Likes

that’s often true. sometimes though feedback can add just a bit of spice especially if it can be modulated by CC or LFO or something.

preenFM3 looks like a stuffed little synth though. 6 outputs, bigger screen + plug in editor etc. nice to see it so well supported.

1 Like