PreenFM3

If you can diy, you can basically build a preenfm2 for €60 or an fm3 for €100! (Price has gone up since I built mine…)
I think xavier is even flashing the preenfm3 pcbs now! So the build is absolutely trivially easy!

I built an FM2 a while back with a Van Daal enclosure and love it. I want to DIY an fm3, but see Van Daal is sold out of cases. And I don’t have a 3d printer.

Are there other enclosure options out there, or should I wait for a restock?

Find someone with a 3d printer :slight_smile:

(You could diy a case pretty easily and cheaply from a pcb for the front panel/rear panel and wood… you could even use an aluminium pcb… or you could get a ponoko laser cut case…)

1 Like

There are currently 7 fm3 metal cases in stock there, check again?

1 Like

I just bought a prebuilt one! I guess it’ll be here in a few weeks :wink:

3 Likes

Things with “nice” screens always worry me. Afraid it will break and be hard to fix. I feel more comfortable with the more common place screen of the 2. Really want those individual outputs though!

Really really easy to change the screen on the fm3 (it should be built with sockets so it’s plug and play after soldering some headers) - also really cheap (maybe £10 IIRC)722-modular_preenfm3

(Ps - the smudges on my screen are on the plastic protector that was still on there when I was building it !)

1 Like

wow. so hard to find a v3 out there :frowning:
still looking!

They’re both really easy diy builds to be honest… :slight_smile:

2 should sound nearly identical to the 3 (note: i’m biased as i’m selling a 2 and likely buying a 3 eventually for the individual outputs!). On the screen, I’m usually afraid they’ll quite making the particular ones needed. Esp. weird touchscreens on synths. Anyway, preenfm2 or 3 are both winners!

1 Like

Where did you buy it if you don’t mind my asking?

3 Likes

Finished my build before the weekend!

Unfortunately somebody at Amazon thought it would be a great idea to just throw the TFT display in a thin bubble bag and ship it out. No box, no bubble wrap… just display > bag > truck.

I had a feeling it would look something like this when I turned it on.

Worst part is that it makes sound but I have no idea what’s going on and a replacement display can’t arrive for another week :cry:

Edit: :thinking: Maybe I can get the VST editor working?

1 Like

Arg! So frustrating about the display! But great job getting the rest together and working. Otherwise looks great.

1 Like

Good luck. That sucks about the screen.
Love my preen fm2. Hope to get a 3 one day

1 Like

So did you ever get the screen replaced? If so, what do you think?

2 Likes

How’s this synth doing in playing dx7 patches? Any big differences compared to the preenfm2?
I can get the latter for 250 EUR but the FM3 is new and improved.

Here: FAQ · Ixox/preenfm3 Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Do you have one? Is the difference worth 125 EUR?
TNx for the link?

Not yet, sourcing parts to build v3.