PreenFM3

Love this device, sorry for dust

4 Likes

I love it too !

for those unaware, the official github documentation lack many new features, which can be found in the releases notes (reverb, mpe, new fx layer, feedback modulation, lfo shapes, env curve, …)

I have one of these built by Michigan Synth Works on the way. I really liked the PreenFM2 when I had it, and now after using the DN, EssenceFM and other synths for a while appreciate it’s unique take on FM (i.e. panning at the operator level) and look forward to trying this FM3 version.
I remember on the FM2 the random parameter pages being much more useful than the facilities on the DN, a great way to come up with unusual timbres fast.

i also use the random page sometimes but i think it take lot of time to get interesting patches, it’s maybe too random, what i would prefer is a bit more control on the patch alteration, like interpolating two patch…

Another great thing about the preenfm3 is its open source nature, so talking about new ideas may lead to new developements, who knows :innocent:

1 Like

New preenfm 3 release !

9 Likes

Apologies if this is very obvious, but is there a post or a page that lists things that the PreenFM3 does more than the classic DX7 / Dexed, and what it does not do?
Purposely avoiding words as missing or better. They are just different synthesis systems :slight_smile:

I could gather this from this thread so far:

PreenFM3

• waveforms other than sine waves
  • pannable operators
  • mpe
  • no feedback

This thread and others on the Preen forum may be of interest Which parameters on DX7?

Searching DX7 on the preenfm forum should get you a fairly good way to answering your questions I think.

1 Like

PreenFM3

• Vosim Synthesis (with the recent firmware)
  • Multitimbrality with selectable individual outputs
  • many Fx and Filters
  • additional modulation sources (Env/LFO/StepSeq)
  • Modmatrix
  • usable, configurable Patch Randomizer
3 Likes

Pc editor (Pretty big one as it’s a really good cross platform one)
Encoders for adjusting parameters (and fully modifiable so easy to add external knobs - I used to use 2x launch control with mine )
The 50 or so filters are many and varied and add a lot as do the user waveforms (someone in the forum has ported those from the TX81z for example which are great)

As mentioned before but worth reiterating the fx are useful (reverb etc)

1 Like

Preenfm3 has operator feedback since a quite long time (2021) :
https://ixox.fr/forum/index.php?topic=69803.0

1 Like

I suppose the other thing to mention is that the firmware for the preen is open source, so if you are into coding it opens lots of possibilities ( i am not but some of the preen forum members do share stuff they are trying and sometimes these are included in ‘official’ updates)

1 Like

Thank you all. That’s a great overview :pray: