Power Handle Safety Recall

Again, the use of the words ‘should’ and ‘could’ are purely speculative, with no basis in fact. Could a college EE come up with a design, mass manufacture it, advertise it and delivery it across the globe? The price is the price, that’s the only fact here that is set in stone. Everything else is opinion.

3 Likes

I checked Hackaday.com just to see if it was there.

Nope !

I was imagining something with 3/4 inch conduit pipe, a cable from Mouser and some adapted metal flange parts. But Hackaday has always seemed to me more the “don’t try this at home” kind of place, like with home made x-ray machines, and arc welders made with broken microwave parts.

2 Likes

They could certainly be crazy enough to try, most likely with about the same results as this one :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey, I was just thinking out loud, it wasn’t really as much of an admonishment as it seemed. I maintain that this is not a good look for them.

I understand that things can happen, and applaud their responsibility. Also, lithium ion batteries are pretty finicky and dangerous.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a big lawsuit could put a company like elektron out of business, and they messed up even the more basic design.

I agree with the flaws in the analogy, and would add that an EE student doesn’t have a successful company to protect from lawsuits, and may not see the volume where rare problems become certainties. Warranties aren’t cheap either… I get it.

2 Likes

I think of it more that yes, an fresh EE student could certainly create a Kickstarter for such a thing, but considering a lot of the actual outcomes of Kickstarters for new portable/battery-centric products…

They need to get a handle on this power.

1 Like

I hope they will release something similar rather soonish. It is fine to run it via cable and powerbank so it is not thaaaaat much of a nuissance. Yet, I kind of liked the handle. Does anybody in the know have an inkling how big of a problem a re-design might be or have there been any further explanations by Elektron (I saw some info, but nothing “technical” in the stricter sense).

1 Like

Has anyone gotten the refund yet? Seems like it’s been a while since I mailed the thing in.

Still waiting here …

I received my refund today fyi

3 Likes

Received the refund today as well

2 Likes

I got mine yesterday. I did chase it a few days and they said it would no later than 20 working days after they received it (which I must admit, I think the original e-mail said that).

What a shame though, the battery handle was SO much more useful than having £41 back in my bank!!

3 Likes

Can these be powered by a power bank at all…I see people here saying they can be. Can anyone point me in a direction if possible.

i use a solar powerbank with, work fine, maybe a little light…

Yes, Google ‘Elektron Model Samples/Cycles USB Power’ and you’ll find what you seek.

3 Likes

Seems there were only about 700 power handles sold in the North America: Power Handles Recalled Due to Fire and Burn Hazards; Manufactured by Elektron Music Machines | CPSC.gov

6 Likes

fascinating - i sometimes think we assume the market for these electronic devices is larger than it is - but even iconic synths didn’t sell in significant numbers by consumer electronics standards (or guitars etc)

there were probably more sold, but it’s a surprising number indeed !

3 Likes

It’s also accessories, expansions and upgrades of devices, which are a vastly smaller subset.

1 Like

Word. When the power handle came out I still had both the Samples and the Cycles. Never got the power handle though.

I worked for a computer OEM that had GPU upgrades available, persons bought the computers for the likelihood of upgrading down the line, one or two were made available but an infinitesimal number of customers actually bothered before moving onto the next system.

Similarly, i did see a lot of persons angrily stating that they would not purchase the models (as is their wont!) because of an add-on that a small subset would purchase, and that a myriad of 3rd party battery packs would sub in for.

1 Like