Post a track of yours that is the closest to who you are

What I mean by that, is that we probably all have a track or two that maybe we think best represents “who you are” or that comes closest to the ideal of “what you want to say”. Not the tracks that get the most plays, or the ones that sound super polished, or even the ones that took 7 minutest to write. Post a track that comes close to that pure ideal that could have only come from you.

I remember (I can only remember because they are all lost) my first experiments with a 4 track tascam recorder, some pedals, bass guitar, drum machine, and a mic. They were shit but so fun and pretty original in the sense of me having no preconceived ideas and most everything had to come from my own imagination.

1 Like

I’m afraid you can hear my influences clearly in all of my tracks.
It’s a mix of all of them and distributed over several genres but you can always hear them.
I try to make music that I want to listen to myself and I have a lot of role models I like to listen to.

5 Likes

This track, like me, is not particularly pleasant, goes on for ages and, no matter how much you hope for change, refuses to change at all. So yeah, the track that is closest to who I am is this shit.

10 Likes

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

There’s too many genres I love/play that don’t relate. I haven’t put the screaming Zorn/Patton-influenced punk into my mid tempo trip hop influenced material. Not that it doesn’t work… but each project with each of my collaborators has its own life that’s both entirely me, and not representative of all of me. “Schrödinger’s genre-A.D.D” - both is entirely me and isn’t entirely me at the same time.

4 Likes

not just because the self portrait video:

• came from a brief flurry of high creative energy, one of the rare intervals I make my favorite stuff, and struggle to achieve otherwise when I try (track + portrait + video from scratch in a weekend). It is how it is…
  • lot of focus on little details that you’d never realize just listening to the track. stuff that I get satisfaction from just knowing it’s like a hidden secret. wrote about it some here, https://anguslocke.wordpress.com/2020/04/27/man-makes-a-picture-of-himself-every-2-days-for-2-days/3/ , and reading it again reminded me of some weird details I didn’t even remember
13 Likes

I’ll play:

3 Likes

hahaha awesome man

1 Like

This one comes from those glorious days when you don’t quite know what you’re doing with a new instrument. In this case, it was one of the most complicated and confusing instruments of all time: Octatrack! Somehow it just fell out of me in one session and is largely a fluke because the unreplicatable free running LFOs took it to the butchers perfectly imo. It combines a lot of my contradictions and worries about myself, in a way. It’s mellow yet angry, it’s up and down a lot and it’s written in language that confuses me but that I wish I could speak back. Cheers!

17 Likes

Everything about this is fantastic. Some other nice tracks on your channel, beautiful visuals as well.

1 Like

Merci beaucoup! I’m really proud of that one. I can’t take credit for the visuals tho, that’s all from the singer :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hello!
Long time lurker / first time poster. Seems like an appropriate thread to introduce myself:

7 Likes

Quite the introduction! Nice. And welcome btw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The first time I was able to properly operate the internal puzzle box that is making music. It’s the first good track I made back in 2011

12 Likes

Satanic, negative and very long. That’s me.
(But I only play some of the synths on this track.)

7 Likes

Oh…it has to be our own music. :frowning: 20 years and I haven’t made one that is me. [i’ll pass]

2 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

V nice indeed. I throw that on during a lazy sunny afternoon for sure!

1 Like

Cool! Reminds me of Materia in some respects. Sorry if you find that offensive haha!

1 Like

something that is supposed to be you?
I guess that won’t be possible…
but playing something new (piano for me) while singing badly over it?
I have!

(I like the lyrics more than the actual song though haha)

1 Like