Portable mixer with 6 stereo inputs ( or 12 mono ). TC helicon blender + iPad [!REVIEW]

Not for everyone but I thought I would share…

TLDR; (So I bought an) Audio interface with many inputs with separate tracks straight into e.g. iPad (or computer) app AUM mixer. 6 stereo inputs or 12 mono.

Wanted a decently portable battery powered setup, so I’ve been looking for a small audio interface for my iPad to be able to plug in the OP-Z (2 mono, drum tracks hard pan left and synth tracks / sampling hard pan right) and Digitone (stereo. powered by powerbank).

I was thinking of 2 stereo (4 mono) inputs that you can get as separate channels into the AUM mixer. Did some searching and only found some bulky ones, with not so many inputs and also quite expensive. But then I randomly read about the blender… 6 stereo inputs or 12 mono (with stereo y-cables) as separate channels right into AUM !!! Battery-powered as an option! Not expensive!

So now I can have separate FX on each channel in AUM and have FX buses to route to and then some FX on the master bus, etc. etc. You can route audio to external FX thru any of the 4 headphone outputs (and then back in thru the inputs). You can also record all channels as separate stems… preeetty nice :wink:

(You need apple lightning camera adapter between the blender and the iPad)

2 Likes

This looks great! Does anyone know if it will power an iPad Pro (usb-c)?

sorry to bump this… afaik this will only send a stereo out to iOS.
did you end up getting one?

1 Like

4 Likes

4 Likes

Daaamn that’s crazy good!
How’s the sound quality for you?
Also, can you power it with USB only?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s nice! (For the portability and the amount of inputs you get)

It is what it is :wink: check the specs Manual

Think you need to use batteries or the power supply.

2 Likes

That is awesome. Wish I could have stuck it out with the iPad!

1 Like

Nice… can’t believe how small it looks compared to that Monotron Delay.
Seems a good deal for quick jams with friends or portable sets

1 Like

Sorry to bother you again… a few questions, if you don’t mind (the manual is extremely short):

1. When using a power supply, can this work as a standalone mixer? (ie. no USB connection)
  2. If you use it with iOS, you wouldn’t be able to hear anything until you activate channels in AUM for example? trying to understand how monitoring works.

Wow that’s clever. Props for the Monotron Delay as well :wink:

1 Like

That’s quite an interesting thing and a real bargain (€ 115,- @ thomann).

I wonder if the A/D & D/A converters are involved when used as standalone audio router.

An USB connection is required only if you want to do (multitrack) recording and for firmware upgrades.