Polyphonic Digitakt via Retrokits RK-002 cable?

Ah, doesn’t work. Seems this midi power thing can’t be taken for granted in at least the gear I have lying around.

However, I can now confirm that when you order this cable and ask for the Digitakt firmware to be pre-installed, it’s set at four voices (channels) as default. So it seems the cable works as intended and I just need to find a goddam midi interface that actually supplies enough power to allow access to the cable itself, as far as settings go. I knew this might be a bit of a hassle, I’m just not sure where to go next. I don’t really need a midi interface, this is the first time like ever I’ve run into a situation where I require one, and I don’t think I’ll be needing it ever again after I’m done with this setting.

Do you have any friendly music stores that have a setup you could hijack for a few minutes? That is frustrating.

Yes, now that I’m familiar with the process, I do believe the local dealer can help. I’d say he owes me, anyway :slight_smile: I guess the challenge here lies in knowing what kit will solve this or not. It seems a hit and miss thing.

Or can it be assumed like for instance, any sound card can solve this? Like this is what they do, kind of stuff? Just a regular midi interface, isn’t all that common around where I live.

With this said, you can get pretty far with four note polyphony :slight_smile: just recorded a small single waveform thing, resampled it from the Digi itself and slammed onto a new track. Damn it sounds nice. Not even sure I’m gonna go for more than four voices, maybe it’ll be too mind blowing.

1 Like

The DT makes a nice synth. I am still holding out hope for a DT Keys. Maybe an octave less than the DN Keys, for more portability. Would be a fun device.

1 Like

Right now, I’m prepared to agree. I’m getting far more interesting tones out of this than I got from the Digitone.

Eight voices. Each one of them its own set of parameters. Yes, Control All makes editing easy. But to let each fourth voice have a high pass filter while the other three have the low pass, tune them all slightly away from each other, let 1 and 3 have delay and allow 2 and 4 to be dry, assign lfo to cutoff on 1 and 4 but not on 2 and 3. Don’t know any eight voice synth that can do this.

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s a roll your own synth.

1 Like

I think most interfaces should be able to get the job done.

Another fun thing about this setup, is to let the voices round-robin in different keys.

1 Like

Yeah, the possibilities :slight_smile: the mind boggles.

Wonder if the new Keystep 37 will get the job done? Been eyeing that, this might tip me over.

Probably won’t get the job done.

But an Apollo Duet should, right? I can borrow one of those for about an hour. If I got this right, I only need it for a minute. That should do it.

So an old gasoline-powered Yamaha midi interface did the trick. Got m’self eight voices of a totally unique sounding polysynth with a world class sequencer per voice to boost now.

2 Likes

Did anyone ever get this to work on an AR?

Anyone got this cable working for polyphony
Keystep Pro > RK-002 > Digitakt
?

Partly figured it out.

I say “partly” because playing different octaves on the KSP only partly works.
In loopback mode, I can change octaves on the Digitakt and the pitch changes accordingly, up and down.

However, on the Keystep Pro:

No key played in Octave+1 or Octave+2 produces sound.
All keys in Octave 0 and Octave -1 produce pitched poly sound correctly.
All keys in Octave -2 produce sound, but it is not pitched (the same note is played by each key).

Any thoughts welcome

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. The instructions are pretty good for a dummy like me. I’m using a MOTU interface. Simple - you just need another regular 'ol midi cable (+ the RK 002, of course) between interface and Digitakt.

1 Like

I’m interested in the RK-002, but have a MIDI question about what I’m hoping to do.

My setup is Novation Launchkey MK3 37 > Novation Peak > Elektron Digitakt

Is it possible to use RK-002 between Peak and Digitakt to distribute polyphony across Digitakt Channels 9-16? Maybe via Peak’s Thru port?

I’m hoping to use Digitakt as a sort of real-time MIDI recorder on its 8 MIDI tracks.

Peak only receives on one MIDI channel. Hence the reason to stick it second in the chain.

If you have time, your help is appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFkjc0i-Wa8

Hey gang,

Will this work the Model Cycles?
Is it the RK-002 out of the box, or do you have to do some kind of midi dump programming or something?

I’m ready to pull the trigger, but on the website, there are some options, I’m assuming the “DUY Digitakt” is what I want, but it doesn’t say anything about polyphony, just something about "Euclidean Sequencer. (Which is cool too, I would use that with my DT, if I could figure out how it works.)

Yes

Firmware can be swapped to anything on on DUY EXCHANGE via SYSEX on Chrome browser.

PolyMUX is what you want. I think the Digitakt and Volca FM versions both have PolyMUX included, but they may be more tailored to those devices.

I originally got RK-002 for Volca FM but a third-party firmware added the same functionality without need for RK, so I ended up using it with Cycles. It’s been forever since I set it up, but I think I just used the generic “PolyMUX example” from the exchange.