Polyphonic Digitakt via Retrokits RK-002 cable?

it doesnt

@turbiville Can you please elaborate?

Today retrokits solved the problem of the double tap stop button . You can install the firmware 1.4 following this steps:

2 Likes

Iā€™m using this sketch programmed into my Arduino and it works great with the Digitakt!

midipoly (V6) - an Arduino sketch for Polyphonic Digitakt

Iā€™m having a lot of fun with polyphony and the old Fairlight CMI IIx sample set. I like the RHODES4 sample loaded into multiple slots with some LFO panning. Turns out you can convert the loop points between Fairlight and Digitakt pretty easily. The following formula gets you close, then adjust.

(120 / 16000) * loop point in bytes

You can look them up at: Fairlight sound library database

Have fun!

2 Likes

did you ever figure out if this works? :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t end up ordering the RK cableā€¦ Iā€™d recommend emailing retrokits to see if the channel filtering is possible.

sorry for the basic question, but Iā€™m new to Ableton (using Live 10). how do you set up Digitakt as the ā€œbrainā€?

Welcome

Using yours. :wink:

2 Likes

I just received one directly from Retrokits, and I ordered it to come pre-loaded with the Digitakt firmware ā€“ I thought the point of ordering it pre-loaded was that you donā€™t have to go fiddling around with the website to have it properly configured.

I tried connecting the Digitakt with several different MIDI controllers using the cable, tried both ways (orange end on midi in on digitakt, black end on midi in on digitakt), but nothing works. Ordinary midi cables work (they only will trigger the digitakt monophonically, of course), so I donā€™t think itā€™s the controllers or the digitakt.

On the digitakt, my midi settings under ā€œPort Configā€ are:

Turbo Speed (not checked)
Out Port Func - MIDI
Thru Port Func - MIDI
Input From - MIDI
Output To - MIDI
Output CH - Auto CH
Param Output - CC
Encoder Dest - INT
Trig Key Dest - INT
Mute Dest- INT
Receive Notes - Check
Receive CC/NRPN - Check

Track channels are all set to their corresponding channel (e.g., Track 1 Channel is 1, Track 2 Channel is 2, ā€¦)
Track channels for A thru H are set to Off.

Any help would be appreciated!

With the new firmware update ā€œUSB compliantā€ does that mean we can change settings on this cable with just the digitakt??

With OS 1.20, Elektron introduced the ā€œUSB Class Compliantā€-Feature to the Digitakt. This only refers to the audio, not the MIDI. This means you can record your audio (master output only) directly through USB (even without Overbridge). For Android I use the free app ā€œMotiv Audioā€ by Shure. Works like a charm. (Youā€™ll need an adapter for your phone of course)

No that wonā€™t work. Youā€™ll need to connect the cable to a computer with a suitable MIDI interface (not all of them support sysex properly). That will allow you to use Chrome browser to access the page for the firmware you have on the cable, it connects to your MIDI interface, and communicates with the cable. You can also change the firmware on the cable.

The RK002 is fantastic but itā€™s not a polished product that is easy to use. If youā€™re comfortable doing the above then itā€™s really powerful. You can also programme your own firmware for it using the Arduino IDE, which Iā€™ve done and itā€™s simpler than I was expecting, but itā€™s still coding.

I got this to work now but it only plays the first four tracks of the Digitakt. Iā€™ve followed Retrokits instructions on settings and the Digitakt settings are set to fit their instructions. I even compared with @DaveMech excellent video tutorial, and I seem to get it all right. Yet, only the first four voices play on the Digitakt before it starts to cycle from the start again.

Anyone else encountered a similar scenario? Obviously, Iā€™m doing something wrong, but having followed the instructions, it does seem like Iā€™m doing it all by the book. What might I be missing?

Do you have each trackā€™s midi in consecutive order?

1 Like

Yes. However, Iā€™m starting to wonder if maybe the midi interface Iā€™m using is actually not sending the system exclusive data required. It shows up in the settings browser, but it could be that the information doesnā€™t go through and that my four voice allocation is the default set by Retrokits as I bought the cable.

So perhaps Iā€™m doing it all right but not using an interface thatā€™s actually transmitting my settings change, when I switch up Polymux to 7 and midi channel to 1 in the Rk-002.

That is entirely possible. I had to move one of my synths to the end of my chain because it wouldnā€™t pass the data through.

Yes, I think that might be it. I donā€™t have much gear around to try this with, but I do know that my Prophet 12 sends and receives system exclusive. So Iā€™m gonna try that next.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t seem to work with the Prophet. However, the Prophet 12 only sends and receives system exclusive over either USB or MIDI, not both at the same time. So Iā€™m not sure I got the full chain required to make this work.

Gonna try the Toraiz SP-16 next.

EDIT: Didnā€™t work. Toraiz donā€™t do sysex. Nor does the Deluge, as it seems. Setting my hopes for the AS-1 now, which I havenā€™t sent back yet to da dealer.

Iā€™m on the edge of my seat. AS-1 for the win!?

1 Like

Just to make things more interesting, I havenā€™t tried it yet. Just put the kids to bed.

And will try it.

Now.

(tension rising)

UPDATE: At least it recognises the AS-1 as an interface. Plot thickens.