Polyend Tracker

What makes you think Monome is involved ?
I’ve been using Monome gear since 2007 and I’ve never been really bothered by beards. But at the time, Brian was beardless. Anyway, they are far from the “dancing with my hands” attitude.

Nothing :slight_smile: just fooling around. No offense intended :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, when does one intend to offend? Can’t be that often, not even those we like to label as trolls.

But that’s off topic, I guess.

1 Like

Okay enough teasers already? Let’s see some concrete stuff :smiley:

This really peaks my interest! Can’t wait for the reveal :slight_smile:

Large screen, very immediate and playable judging by the teasers. 4 rows of pads- this would be awesome if that meant 4 seperate inputs also with a recording buffer.
Large jog whee for macro and micro functions - tracker sequencer with a granular component that looks Samplr-esque.
What’s not to like?
This box could be amazing, Crazy also because it is so thin!!

1 Like

Someone buy my Octatrack!

1 Like

In the link to the forum above that @dcsux posted , there was a link to the article. Very good read about Polyend, and some good info in there.

Some highlights from the article possibly pertaining to this device:

"When I visit the company, one of the coders is working on a continuation of Poly. The other three are developing a new device.

“What’s it going to be?” I ask Piotr.

“A tracker. A device that enables compositions to be made from samples. You upload samples and compose an entire song without using a computer. You’ll be able to upload the sample or record it through a microphone. It’s a return to basics – I first saw a tracker program in 1995. My mate lent it to me on floppy disk.”

Piotr explains that the strength of trackers is their minimalism. These days, with Ableton and other music production programs, you can work on hundreds of tracks at the same time, but none of them properly.

“That never used to be possible, and people still made amazing things. Restriction is the future, because it’s creative. One of Radiohead’s albums was recorded on eight-track. When you only have eight tracks at your disposal, you have to be focused from start to finish, because each one is important. We’re doing a similar thing, our tracker will have eight tracks too.”

“It’s not too conservative?” I ask.

“A device that doesn’t need to be connected to a computer – in other words, distracted by e-mails, social media, hundreds of processing possibilities – that can be a new quality. Before the piano and grand piano were invented, there was just the harpsichord, which couldn’t be played quietly or loudly, and yet great songs were created. I can’t wait, because it’s going to be fun to use. But I’m also waiting to see what we learn from it. We come away wiser after each device.”

Piotr: “Aphex recently told us that he loves trackers. It turned out we’d been watching the same old YouTube videos of trackers at the same time, including the one I had on floppy disk as a kid. We’re doing a project together in the autumn, for a premiere. I’m so excited.”

13 Likes

Wow, I’m veerrryyyy excited about this. As someone who grew up with Acid Pro/FL Studio/Ableton I’ve never used a tracker and have always wanted to see why so many artists I love enjoy them so much.

I have a feeling this device is going to be very expensive but hopefully it’ll be worth it to save up.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

:partying_face:

1 Like

All I can say is that Octatrack users will be very happy.

42 Likes

:joy:

:joy:

Not walls. To clarify.

1 Like

Tracker in a box?

Everything old is new again.

You could als grab an Amiga. Or better, sync two of ’em up.

lmao infamous

Just noticed this on polyend website:grinning:

32 Likes