Polyend Tracker

I’m not putting numbers on it, but I am keeping levels relatively low, I guess. Depending on the results I’m after, I might keep individual tracks lower or I might smash them all into the master and just lower the master track til it’s just below red.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m just treating the Tracker like what it is: an 8-track electronic recording studio. That means applying all the usual practices I’d apply with any recordings, i.e. I record my samples at as high a level as possible without clipping, and then consider the cumulative effect that each link in the chain and each adjacent track has on the overall volume level. I don’t want to peg the meters at any point in the process. It saves me time if I reduce the level of each track in the mixer before I start. If I know I am going to use a lot of processing, I might also reduce the level of an individual Instrument to prevent any surprises.

It’s easy to forget or overlook the importance of gain staging on a single piece of equipment, but like so many so-called groove-boxes or workstations, the Tracker is a full-on recording studio and requires the same amount of attention to each link in the chain to achieve the best results.

10 Likes

i just wish there was a maximizer or some practical booster to put on the master, because it is so quiet when you have everything set so it’s not clipping.

1 Like

Just curious if anyone here owns the PT and the M8? If so, do you like having both? I’ve had an M8 for about 5 days. Zero experience with trackers, but I absolutely love the workflow. Is there a good reason to have both?

2 Likes

@glooms has given me some thoughts on the Polyend Tracker vs the M8 Tracker as I have been comparing the two recently. He states the M8 wins by a decent margin due to Onboard Synthesis, Output levels, quicker sample export, better memory management, fx automation, faster work flow, tables and less menu diving.

Polyend tracker seems to have more fx to apply to samples, bigger screen, Euclidean mode, fill mode, custom scales you can lock to and also performance mode.

I was originally really interested in the Polyend Tracker but the more research I do, I start leaning more toward the M8 Tracker. Although still intrigued by the PT. I think anybody would enjoy either of them, as long as you can enjoy the tracker workflow.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s much point in having both, you’re better off saving some money and grabbing a copy of Renoise instead.

1 Like

Good to know! Gloom’s does some crazy stuff on his M8. On the YouTube channel AllMyFriendsAreSynths (I believe he’s on elektronauts, but can’t remember his screen name), the host compares the two and said he loves the M8 as a stand-alone piece but loves the PT as a midi sequencer for external instruments. It’s still gonna be awhile before I fully wrap my head around the tracker workflow, but I’m finding myself looking into the PT more now as a midi sequencer, possibly. Initially I went with the M8 because I wanted something small and portable for traveling and I will say it’s amazing to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that perspective! I actually bought renoise about a year ago and very quickly got frustrated with it. I mean very quickly! Never really gave it a chance, but I’ll revisit it at some point

1 Like

I keep coming back to check out this sexy machinery, so smoooooooth, clean buttons, and all the literature you all have piled on, cherry on top :wink:

3 Likes

That’s him! Seems like an awesome dude and I love his YT channel

2 Likes

I think the M8 Tracker might also be a fairly capable midi sequencer for external gear. Not sure which one is better.

1 Like

For poly midi and live recording M8 is a bit more clumsy from my understanding (I only have M8) and by having M8 I can more easily see why people might choose polyend tracker especially if you are more into live preformable modes. M8 is a very open though and a lot of its flaws can be made up for by basically unlimited sample time.

3 Likes

My main gripe with the PT is that it’s sample-only. My main gripe with the M8 is that it’s awkward to chop and loop samples. So they’re kind of complements in that respect.

There’s also something to be said with wanting to knock a thing out leaning back in a chair vs sitting down to dig into composition at a table or in your lap. The M8 excels at the former, obviously, but the PT is really underappreciated at the latter. Its song mode is way better than the M8, its performance mode different (and some say better) than anything else out there. Its editing features move beyond copy/paste to shift, insert, nudge, and loop. It’s not limited to 16 step phrases which let’s you open up a bit creatively with evolving or winding melodies. And it’s grid keyboard is pretty great! Both from a “play notes and drums” perspective (which the M8 lacks without an external MIDI controller) but also as a data-entry device. Once you get the muscle memory down, you’ll be shocked how quickly you can enter FX and values.

So, personally, I’m not thinking about getting rid of my PT anytime soon. At the same time, I haven’t had it out for weeks because the M8s been monopolizing my time, so…

6 Likes

I will never part with my Tracker. It really has been a shot in the arm for creativity and getting experimental without putting much thought into it. I really wanted an M8 and may still get one at some point but for now, I spent that money on an MPC 1000 with internal rechargeable battery. Gonna try to pair it with the Tracker at some point.

8 Likes

All the tracker needs is polyphonic tracks. A view with three extra lanes per track…
At least for midi. Guess polyphonic sample tracks are difficult to realize as afterthought .

All these monophonic samplers… I understand that polyphony is expensive in analog synths, but is it such an obstacle in digital samplers?

3 Likes

Everything you always wanted to know about polyphony on PT* (*But were afraid to ask)…
Polyend Tracker Cheat Sheet

Chords Math, Tuplets, Swing, Time Sig /8, 4/4 Beat Division, Dec to Hex.
Developed by b8ck8tt

21 Likes

I’m on the lookout for a (relatively inexpensive) case for the tracker, so can keep it under the lounge table, ready at short notice for some sofa jamming. Anyone got any recommendations? Ideally I’d be able to use in the case itself.

The Polyend hard shell case is nice but costs mega bucks.

4 Likes

Have you got it? How does it stack up? Can you have the power supply and inputs / outputs plugged in while in the case? Is it comfortable on the lap?