Polyend Tracker

Yeah I’m loving performance mode. So easy to use.

What I’m loving the least by far is the jogwheel. Much prefer an encoder. Can’t get used to it so far. Really gets me out of the music-making/tactile zone, if that makes any sense. But will give it some time to see if I get used to it.

The jobwheel is an encoder just with a bigger knob. If you want something to pinch with your fingers, you might be able to just change the knob itself.

3 Likes

Just received mine yesterday. So far really enjoying it but want to give it a week or two before posting any thoughts, if I do at all. I wanted to jump in here on the topic of the jog wheel. I am quite used to my MPC 2000xl jog wheel and would love it if I could replace with something similar. I keep finding myself trying to use my index finger in a little groove that isn’t there on the PT.
Definitely open to suggestions. Of course, I am getting by and this is a minor gripe. As stated before, I really like this so far. Happy I purchased.

1 Like

Reminds me of the knob on an Akai s950
One of my favourite aspects of the design
Horses for courses I spose

2 Likes

I find myself in the ‘favorite jog wheel I’ve ever used’ camp. But I also like the microfreak keys so I get that I’m the weird one lol.

4 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

I like the jogwheel, but it is starting to make me nervous. There’s a lot of play in the wheel (it wiggles), so I hope it’s just a matter of tightening the set screw that holds it in place. Maybe the wiggle is normal, I don’t know. For such a solid device, I’d hate for this one part to let me down.

if it turns the pots peg…yer good. :+1:t6:

Just got mine. Having a bit of trouble with sampling external midi gear. I have an SH-01A hooked up and being sequenced. I cannot hear the SH when in the pattern view. If I switch to Sample Recorder and hit play, then I can hear the SH. However, if I try to sample, then the sequence is played back at a really fast speed! Can anyone explain the workflow here? Cheers.

Does this work? Miss the little groove as well, I feel like I keep pushing down harder without one and that might cause the jog wheel to start wiggling earlier. I mean it is used all the time.

I only posted for a visualization. Pretty sure it will NOT work, looks too large.

Ok, thanks, maybe I´ll give it a go and see which one might fit, would be cool to have.

please request to make it recordable into the sequencer.

1 Like

I’ve personally owned the tracker, digitakt and octatrack. I’ve sold the digitakt!

The tracker is great. But it does have its limitations as the “main” sampler/sequencer. You can’t pass audio through for effects. The only way to listen to it is to get out of the sequencer and into the sampler page. All effects are destructive and don’t always have a preview. No time stretching etc.

I see it as a great companion to the OT. Use that as the “Brain” and for breakbeats etc, with the tracker for more melodic sequencing/mangling.

5 Likes

I see what you are getting at.
The OT has 4 audio inputs and a Cue (send/return) output, so it’s far more easy to use the OT as the main brain controlling the audio and MIDI of external gear and effects. In that area the OT is still masterful !! Along all the other unique stuff (Live resampling, Live creating scenes where you can fade into, creating Parts)

It almost inevitable to acquire the OT someday.

untill that time, I think I will have great fun with the PT.

ps: what was your reason to sell the DT ?

1 Like

It would be easy to design and 3d print a cap with a finger dimple that slips overtop of the stock cap. I might take a crack at it later today.

3 Likes

My Tracker arrived a few days ago and I am finding it strangely fun to use while learning which usually isn’t the case for me…so that’s promising!

Quick question about sample rate…

With the new firmware does “Added automatic sample conversion algorithm in the Sample Loader” mean that I can load my 48000 hz samples onto the SD card and Tracker will convert to 44100 and all will be well?

Thanks!!

1 Like

I JUST started playing with mine last night. I was able to load samples from the SD card that were out of some of my Elektron sound packs, which I assume are 48KHz. I did notice some conversion artifacts however. For example, on what was a clean 808 kick from the Samples from Mars pack, there is now a bit of aliasing of some kind. I may go through and convert them all myself on the computer, and see if that resolves this. On the other hand, it kinda makes it sound more like the MODs of yesterdecade. :smiley: Just an observation. I think I’d prefer them to be cleaner though, and then lower bit rates and things from there to get aliasing if I want it. (so will probably do some kind of batch conversion of everything on the computer.

Aside from that, I’m having a blast with this thing!

3 Likes

One other item. Maybe it’s been discussed above. (I only joined the club yesterday…) The manual link on Polyend’s site leads to a 404 error. Is that known? Kinda wanted to take a peek at it. I’ve found my way around quite well without it, but it would be good to have.

1 Like

strange, it worked the other day, but I just got the same 404. maybe its a new firmware and manual coming?

I have a copy saved and can try to send it to you.

not able to upload it here.

2 Likes