Polyend Tracker Mini

I cant buy a portable anything without a speaker. The one in the OP1F is good, the M8 one is ok. Why would I want a portable anything and have to haul around headphones…no way.

I guess to me trackers are such copy, paste, edit selection, type instruments I don’t really see the need of including a note input, like the speed and flow of a tracker comes from laying down like 3 notes and then going crazy pasting and transposing them all around.

3 Likes

Super cool ad campaign :+1:t6:

How cool would it be if you could take your MIDI heavy tracker projects and hear those instruments on the go with onboard mono/poly synth engines…

1 Like

That’s cool, this one will probably do well for you then.

1 Like

It’s close but not enough for me to bite.

I like the form factor (though not sold on the button UI) and I did enjoy my time with the Tracker. But, they’re just feels like somethings missing. Like a big gap in what this thing should be able to do for me.

Educate a dummy, why are stereo samples the holy grail?

4 Likes

Because they’re so rare

2 Likes

…ist the keystep included? Because :“i’m using this because it’s much more friendly…”

Sold me at last :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Still odd to me that smaller companies (Synthstrom and Dirtywave) can figure out sample streaming from an SD card but other companies with bigger teams can’t (I know Polyend is still a small company but Dirtywave is one guy). I realize 8 minutes of sample time is probably more than enough in most cases but it’s also something you shouldn’t have to think about when making music. Octatrack has had that feature for over ten years now.

Other than that, the button style and layout of this thing look pretty bad in my opinion. No doubt a beefed up full sized MK2 is on the way but way to devalue the original Tracker with this ad campaign.

8 Likes

Polyend discuss this in a post somewhere.

It’s hard on the processor and the PT has a very slow processor.

Strange they put a button in the middle of the d pad, that’s usually where people rest the thumb, whole button layout is a bit weird.

2 Likes

What does that middle button do anyway? I haven’t watched any vids on it yet.

I think there are always some trade offs when it comes to streaming off an SD card… like M8 can’t read and write at the same time to the SD card so no real time resampling where you tweak a sound live, although I am not certain Polyend can resample itself live either. I also think Polyend tracker isn’t running baremetal like the M8 tracker is that’s why it can do emulators and junk also but also likely why the OG tracker has had so many midi issues, hopefully the beefed cpu solves that stuff.

1 Like

Admittedly, the downside on the M8 is requiring a card with fast random-read, and very few card are capable of that. Limited sample size means you can guarantee RAM space and good performance, at the cost of not being able to stream like M8/Deluge

Any news on recording during playback?

I would guess it’s “enter” to edit the selected cell.

Based purely on how their promo video is structured I would presume you can record during playback. Would be a huge bummer if that wasn’t the case. Come to think of it - I don’t think it was possible on the Tracker actually. Been an age since I owned one though.

Edit: Here’s the Tracker info…

Based on the video it previews the sample (I think). Presume it does other things!

1 Like

[quote=“bwo, post:626, topic:192082, full:true”]
I think there are always some trade offs when it comes to streaming off an SD card… like M8 can’t read and write at the same time to the SD card so no real time resampling where you tweak a sound live, although I am not certain Polyend can resample itself live either.[/quote]
You wouldn’t really need to read and write at the same time. I mean, only device I can think of that benefits from that is the Octatrack that I can think of. But even then, the tracker can’t do that anyways so it’s sort of a non-issue.

Yeah but the cards are available and don’t cost any more than other cards. And only the M8 seems to be picky about that. The Deluge can have any SD card as long as it’s above 80Mbps read speed which is most cards nowadays.

I dunno, I haven’t had a great taste in my mouth from Polyend since the Medusa. All of their stuff looks nice but feels underpowered and above all, glitchy.

1 Like