Polyend Tracker Mini

It’s a mini tracker with a built in mic.

4 Likes

No seriously. I know things.

Seriously. I know no things.

11 Likes

I’d be surprised. Unlikely in my opinion, considering they don’t do audio over USB for the other devices and AFAIK have no intention to change that.

3 Likes

For the Tracker at least and the Play most probably, it was linked to the platform/chips used for both products. They may have worked on something new to be able to provide audio over usb. However, I also suspect that will not be the case though, too close of the Play release and probably built on the same platform. Let’s see if resample will be part of the game or will it suffer the same limitation than the Tracker of not being able to record and play audio at the same time.

1 Like

I’m just feeding the hype machine.

1 Like

well I wont make the same mistake I did with their Play device, and preorder, so i’ll be waiting to see how this matures through their likely firmware updates, the Play was so over priced for what is basically a beat generator with randomisation algorithms, trying to do anything musical/melodic with samples feels like a battle.
The Play will never have audio over usb, someone requested this on the feature wishlist and they already declined and stated its a technical limitation, so if this device is based around similar hardware, then it will probably be the same?

Also, I wonder if this device will have any polyphony? What is it with all these modern devices having only monophonic tracks, do they fear the use of chords or something?

7 Likes

we should invent a trendy buzzword for a pathic fear of chords, like polytoneaphobic, or harmonegatosis

2 Likes

Re polyphony - I think Polyend get a free pass with the Tracker. They are inherently monophonic by nature.

Anyhow my expectations are low. If it’s really portable and looks fun I might be tempted. But then again I’ve bought devices before due to portability (e.g. MC101, Circuit Tracks) and they just sit on the shelf

I think that doesn’t matter much for some genres. But personally, I’d never get any groovebox where using chords isn’t 100% straightforward.

I hope it can sample and playback at the same time (the tracker can’t).

No stereo samples unless Polyend rewrote their engine :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve spoken to a guy on the inside.

He told me that OT users will be very happy.

11 Likes

If Polyend have made a portable groove box with sampling capabilities then I feel like the second hand market is about to become flooded with Plays

Stealthy

I’d like a modestly-priced device/groovebox/something that I can use on the sofa with a pair of headphones and no power supply or power bank. Certainly curious to see what this is all about. I started with trackers when I was a lad and although I didn’t quite get on with the Polyend Tracker perhaps this will be a bit different.

I don’t need pro-level features, just something fun and playful when I’m not using a DAW or a “full” desktop setup.

2 Likes

Yeah I realised I didn’t want to derail.

Or: ninja me

1 Like

Interested to see what Polyend deliver.

The form factor just makes me wish for a M8 XL with a Tracker sized screen though :joy:

3 Likes

An OT, for ants.

3 Likes

On the one hand I hope they’ve moved to a new hardware platform because the lack of power on the current board prevents record and play etc on the Tracker.

On the other hand I hope it’s something close to the Tracker as we are more likely to continue to get firmware updates if they are spread less thinly.

Stereo mic with stereo samples, PLEASE.

I will never forget the pure ecstasy of listening to the rain battering down on a conservatory while plugged into a (stereo) ancient Zoom handy recorder. Monophonic field recordings are fine for percussion but for the wind, rain, birds, waves, whatever… It’s gotta be stereo for those things or else it feels like living in Parappa the Rapper land, all flat.

11 Likes