Poly Effects Beebo (was Digit and Morph)

I wonder if there is a recording buffer that gets full? Wonder if a reboot or something easier clears it out? I was supposed to get mine today dammit fedex!

EDIT: also just re-reading a beebo looper thread on thegearpage and one person did 15 tracks of loopers without it bogging down!!! Whoa that sounds like a lot. But maybe the loopler is not cpu intensive generally?

Rebooting doesn´t help, I often start with a blank preset and build from there. And I just updated the firmware like two days ago.
As I got my shipping notification today for the Microcosm I´ll probably be able to lay off some granular duties to the Microcosm and use the Beebo for some other shenanigans instead.

Edit: the looper does seem very CPU friendly, I just tested for fun with 8 loops and it works like a charm. If I´m not mistaken saving the looper including the recorded loops is not possible yet.

1 Like

Heres at least one of the quotes about cpu from sir loki after someone stated synth modules using 77% of cpu……this one from modwiggler:

“ If you check out the videos most the patches with 3 or 4 macro oscillators, a drum trigger, granular texture generator and a few other things don’t hit 77%. You can easily have 20 delays. The heavy modules are the convolution reverb in the Digit firmware and the advanced rotary in the Beebo firmware. I’m attempting to improve the performance of both but they will always be heavy.”

Might be an older post as Beebo and Digit now share the same firmware (which is great). I´ll have a read on that forum as my interest in this pedal has peaked again. Slight bummer on the cpu heavy modules but when you know it you can work with it instead of wondering what s going on. The pedal offers so much that it feels childish to complain about the 1-2 things it doesn´t handle well at the moment. Given the update history there is still a lot to come.

1 Like

Ok got the beebo and so far totally cool!

Trying to get BPM (midi out) from octatrack to the beebo midi in.

OT auto channel is 11

I set beebo midi channel to 11 ( the midi channel +/- says “11” but when i press “set channel” nothing happens. But im assuming its liktely still on 11).

When i add a delay for example, i cant tell if bpm is synced on its adjustments page because the beebo doesnt give any obvious indication that its actually connected.

There are the midi icons next to each slider. If i press them the color fades in and out….still hmmmm?

There is the option in the delay adjustments page, to click the “advanced mode” icon, click on delay again and then i get many options as destination port including “bpm”…which i select for hell of it.

Still cannot tell whats happening though i think those last moves SEND the bpm from that delay out???

Help!!! Hahaha

EDIT: still working on it but i didnt have a “midi clock in” module….so messing with that atm

EDIT EDIT: working, and incoming bpm is shown in the bpm setting on the delay………midi clock in module controlling delay AND midi type A cable for beebo after serial 338……phew.

1 Like

there’s a fb poly effects Beebo group on facebook is very active look for Gary Kane is very knowledgeable on bebbo complex patching he figure things out and help out on
many patches around the group

1 Like

Thank you wick!

1 Like

you welcome

1 Like

What about units before that serial? Mine is slightly below (327)…

1 Like

I guess you are type b cable….i think i read in manual (which is pretty outdated eh), he said there were 2 midi B cables included. One midi A and one midi B is included with the newer beebos based on what i got……

The following is from poly website FAQ:

What’s kind of MIDI cables do I need?

Before Digit serial 475, Beebo serial 338: Type B, 3.5 MM TRS. This is the same ring active pin out as Chase Bliss.

Digit serial 475, Beebo serial 338 or later: Type A input, 3.5 MM TRS. This is the MIDI standard pin out. Type B output. It’s stupid.

No MIDI box / etc is needed as the pedal has opto isolation on board and midi thru.“

2 Likes

Ah, the Type A and Type B nonsens… I thought there was a difference in functionality. Since I‘m using my Beebo only at home I‘m not stressing about it since the chance of losing the included cables here are rather minimal. Still an annoying detail that needs to be remembered.
And also good to know that a MIDI modul is required to sync the delay, I naively assumed it would work instantly like you described. (I need a MIDI extension though as the included cable has a male socket and my MIDI through splitter is too far away. It’s harder to get than I anticipated).

1 Like

Anyone else have problems with crosstalk between the channels if you’re using all 4?

Havent got near there! But when you say “all four”, are you meaning 4 midi channels?

No, all four audio channels, e.g. both stereo inputs/outputs. Sorry, was clearly distracted when I wrote that.

1 Like

I was thinking it really could only be audio that you mean, but at same time couldnt understand why midi issue becsuse of audio……but you are good!

I havent tried all 4 audio io. I will be on the look out….

This thing is actually TWO stereo multi fx units….crazy!!!?. The reverbs alone are worth $400 in my book….

1 Like

Or four mono ones, which in theory is amazing! However, I see crosstalk between the channels on output like crazy — like, if I’m hitting the mixer at 0db, the crosstalk will be at around -35dB or higher, properly audible.

1 Like

Last night I uploaded all the presets available on the patchstorage site Digit Archives | Patchstorage

Almost all in the 90% range and a few are up as high as 109%. So im just wondering:

• if latest firmware is taking more dsp than when patches were made on previous firmware?

• if theres a bit of unit to unit variation in the dsp power?

Hmmmmmm.

That is odd indeed. I also watched a video the other day where the guy used two or even three instances of the granular module and ended up in quite a complex patch without any issues. Was interesting to watch but left me quite clueless on what the issue with my patch might be…

I’m asking over on the fb page if this is normal. If i dont hear anything interesting, i will contact poly!

What serial are you? I think im 757……

1 Like