Poly Effects Beebo (was Digit and Morph)

How’s the saturator and compressor with line level inputs?

Would digit/bebo work well as a master processor for a live rig? Like a portable finalizer.

It’s be great if they added multi band or sidechain HPF.

1 Like

Hi,

Beebo/Digit are great. I use it as a send/return with my mixer. Currently mostly for adding granular reverb to some of my synths.

Anybody else it as a send/return fx?
What are your favorite use cases and modules for the Poly effects?

2 input pairs is handy also for mixing, individual effect processing and then compression/saturation together before the output.

Haven’t messed with the saturatior much as I have other pedals, but it’s super easy to load up cabinet IR waves to taste which could cover many flavours even if that wasn’t to taste. Compressor works fine, but am hoping that some visual feedback comes one day. There are ways to build side chaining but it requires some input detection modules and routing tricks.
Spoken to Loki in person about building a multi band eq… he reckons it’s already doable with the modules included and suggested the oberheim filter which outputs 3 separate bands potentially into 3 separate compressors.
I have considered trying to recreate the TC finaliser vibe in this pedal though and might have to give it a more solid look. The metering was one of the best things about it though. Miss my finaliser heaps it’s power supply failed.

3 Likes

Poly Effects reacted quickly to Glou-Glou’s announcement of their Loupé pedal:

"With Beebo looper module that I’ll be uploading this week I am aiming for all EDP functions. Full midi binding.

As many loops as you want. You can also loop control values if you’d like to loop pitch or automation for other modules."

Damn, bro, game ON!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMS6ANmsZrV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I guess for peeps looking at this vs. Loupé it’ll come down to the other pedal’s greater number of footswitches, buttons and knobs (ok only one more), vs. the new features mentioned above.

3 Likes

eventually updates will come in the up coming months . Loki is working on the launch of hector eurorack beebo version.

Yeah that’s why he said I’ll be uploading this week" - it’s future tense

Man, I’m just sharing what he posted himself here. If you want him to correct his own post, please contact him directly. I’m not his intermediary

1 Like

Anyone know if you can upgrade the ram on these? Says it has two, but I’m a glutton and want mooooorrrreeeeee.

The looper and usb midi are now available via a new beta firmware, if you’re feeling adventurous. WARNING: you can NOT revert to a previous firmware once you’ve updated and this beta definitely has some bugs (read through the linked thread for some reported bugs and to grab the beta).
But damn it’s good!

1 Like

Beebo looks great with it’s 4 inputs and 4 outputs. Didn’t realize it can load IRs directly from a USB thumb drive. Plus firmware can be updated that way too.

Does anyone know if all audio output modules in a patch can be routed to just 2 outputs? If it can double as a small 4-input mixer, that would be cool.

Can be routed freely.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to online demos of the Beebo and whilst I can appreciate there’s a lot on offer I don’t really get a wow factor from the effects tone. On the other hand it gets really annoying when pedals have such a distinct character that it gets boring quickly. Any thoughts on this? Do the Poly Effects pedals have their own character or are they a bit vanilla?

Thanks

To my ear they’re actually very, very robust, more in the vein of larger proper rackmount effects than a pedal, per se. You can get deep, deep sounds that remind me of Cocteau Twins records, that were created with larger Eventide machines. The phasers have wonderful depth to my ear and a nice chewy quality. It’s unlike most digital effects I’ve heard.

The ability to chain and create larger systems of effects is very unique as well. You can also incorporate CV, timed LFO’s, all of the Mutable Instrument modules he’s ported into the box, etc…

It’s not what I would choose if live performance is your goal, IMHO, because switching between effects takes a few seconds. It’s more of a studio tool or something to use within a single piece and then switch presets when things can stop for a moment.

3 Likes

Thank you.

That’s good to know. I was always an avid rack fx user. Fireworx, M3000, PCM 81 etc.

The new firmware for the Beebo/Digit (I guess it is just called Beebo now?) is now up, with the first version of the Loopler module: Firmware 3.3 14 May 2021 — Poly Effects

(not my image, I’ll be experimenting with this at the weekend!)

8 Likes

Very curious to see some reviews of the looper module. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these a week ago on reverb but got cold feet. Interested to see how the midi sync holds up on the loopler.

Nice! I will be excited to try it out.

Does changing preset cut the signal completely ?