Poll: Elektron coated buttons

I want to collect some data to send to Elektron.

Please answer the poll. There are 2 options.

1- My elektron rubberised coated buttons have gone sticky, melted, goo, mush, etc.

2- I have no problem with my elektron coated buttons.

This poll applies to all Elektron Mk2 devices, Digi boxes and Analog Heat.

This a poll, not a discussion, thank you.

Melting buttons poll
  • Yes, I have had problems with melting sticky buttons.
  • No, I have had no problems.

0 voters

13 Likes

11 Likes

Iā€™ve never had a problem with the coating on the buttons.
Possibly related, as a habit from my work, I wash my hands pretty frequently

1 Like

@Skorheim @Normalogic

Please, this is not a discussion.
Just answer the poll. Yes or no.
Discussions can be found elsewhere on the forum.

3 Likes

I wish there was an option for ā€œnot yet, but I know theyā€™re going to get nasty in the futureā€

1 Like

I think you might need an option for somewhere in the middle. Mine are getting very slightly sticky, and when I run a fingernail over them it leaves a mark. I contacted elektron and got replacement caps but havenā€™t actually installed them yet, figuring I would wait until they are actually bad enough to not want to use.

2 Likes

should minimum age of the device be any consideration?
if someone has a week/month old machine no way it should be sticky so itā€™s not really objective vote, but if someone has, letā€™s say, over 2 years and uses at least on a weekly basis - their vote should weight more, no?

3 Likes

At first I was taken aback with ā€˜no discussionā€™ but letā€™s find the other sticky buttons thread to discuss - just in case this thread gets attached and lost in the other thread. Good that it is isolated and respect the original poster - public service announcement :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah, this would be more interesting if correlated with age of device and frequency of use.

For example, my less-than-two-years-old Syntakt has no hints of this problem, which is what Iā€™d expect for a device still under warranty. But are there devices out there that have this problem after just a couple of years if eg used heavily on stage or in clubs and used daily? Or is this a problem that only shows up after 6+ years in extreme cases?

1 Like

Fair enough itā€™s not a discussion post but yes or no is too vague. I voted no because at the moment they seem ok. My Digitakt was bought not long after release and I have barely used it but with age alone I can tell that the coating is not what it was and is becoming stickier. Therefore I suggest adding something else in your poll for the sake of accuracy.

Cant say Iā€™ve noticed on mine

Buttons have been ok , at least with elektron gear you can probably get / buy replacements.

Some other gear has become a sticky horrible mess which canā€™t be fixed.

1 Like

It has not been an issue on my devices so far - though I did notice that my Digitakt buttons are smoother and less grippy than the ones on my Syntakt, which I prefer.
I donā€™t know if thatā€™s an intentional change, variances in manufacturing, or age related.
But I did order some replacement buttons, and those arrived sticky. I had to get another set sent out.

My suspicion is that these will get sticky sooner if you use a cover (like a decksaver) or store these devices in a box rather than open air.

I had this with OT mkI but it seems like itā€™s exempt from the poll.

Also having this on a second hand OT MK2. Not terribly bad but definitely noticeable. I was wondering if I could buy some new ones just today, but maybe I can try to reach Elektron about it.

My experience with other gear is that these sticky plastics are often due to experiencing some kind of heat and/or direct sunlight. It tends to break down the material.

Manufacturers need to be shamed and called out for using this material. It undermines the quality of what is otherwise a great product. Itā€™s a poor design choice to continue to use this rubberized coating.

Iā€™m sure every manufacturer that does use this material has a bunch of customer support requests about how to deal with the stickiness. Now the question remains, do the manufacturers actually care enough to deal with the root cause, or is it another opportunity to sell replacement parts for profit for years to come?

I live in the tropics, so it seems the additional heat and humidity shorten the life of this coating. The stickiness reveals itself after 4 years in my home studio.

Itā€™s not just Elektronā€¦ I have sticky knobs from Arturia synths, Zoom recorders, Moog mod and pitch bend wheels, first gen Ableton Push 2ā€¦ itā€™s all a sticky mess after 5 years in this climate (without direct sunlight).

I think the industry needs to be shamed and called out for continuing to use this material. They know itā€™s trash but still keep making products with it. Itā€™s insulting to have to buy new rubber coated replacement buttons simply because I live in a warmer climate.

Iā€™ve read the forums and spent hours attempting to clean this sticky stuff from my gear with less than successful results. God, not even the manufacturers can offer a proper solution how to deal with it other than replacing the parts all together. Itā€™s maddening.

9 Likes

Totally agree with all of this.

Except one thing. I live in London and have exactly the same problem; it ainā€™t the tropics!

3 Likes

Unbenannt

Iā€™ve only owned Elektron Models to date, so I canā€™t participate in good faith. Hopefully someone creates a ā€œShould TPE / soft touch plastic be cleansed from the earth with fire?ā€ poll.

I gone back to mk1 and dont want anything with rubberized plastics in my life anymore. No more sticky mess on my desk. Look at KMI, they learned from this dramatic manufactor error and replaced all their products with no rubberized marks. I think this is what elektron, arturia, and others should do, by respect for their customers, and for the earthsafe.

3 Likes