Pointless and stupid bits of kit you never use but haven't ever quite got rid of

Linux is your friend.

1 Like

Right there with you. Maybe we can swap random power supplies. It might be kind of like circuit bending but with more smoke.

:crazy_face:

Actually I think I still have an abonended Elektron PSU laying around somewhere with standard German plug…maybe for MD or Mnm I think? Gotta dig for that…

I use a Raspberry Pi for that… and a whole lot more too. For a fraction of the price, and 4 USB host ports onboard. :smiley:

3 Likes

definitely the korg KP3.

Even broke it out recently for the first time in years, and it should be fun, but the fx are just meh.

1 Like

I guess my Roland SPD-S has become a bit pointless since it was my live electronic accompaniment while playing in a band.

I have an old Alesis MicroVerb 4 that was one of my first effects. Truth be told I meant to buy a MidiVerb but didn’t know any better. I mainly used it for guitar effects, but I haven’t played guitar in like 10 years.

Also my guitar, a Jackson PS6t. It desperately needs to be serviced, but I don’t have the will to spend the amount of money it would take to do that.

Finally, a Yamaha TG55. Not as cool as it’s bigger cousin the SY/TG77, it’s a pain in the ass to use, but it has some strangely usable, very digital sounds. But it just sits in my rack and I hardly ever turn it on. I bought it nearly 20 years ago to add a wider palette of sounds to my setup, but now I just can’t get rid of it.

1 Like

I have a thing for the Yamaha SY series, but yeah editing on that takes perseverance.

I must have 5 tote bags filled with random wires of every imaginary type that I’ve acquired over the past 25 years. Many of them I have no idea how I got them as they’re for products I’ve never owned. So many useless wires, but I’ll be damned if I chuck them.

1 Like

Mine is my old Minidisc player/recorder. I have tonnes of discs. But the player is pretty cactus. Headphone jack is cooked. It barely works. But I keep it just to reminisce with those old discs every once in a while.

Everything else I turf, nothing stays if not used

1 Like

Ahh that’s what I forgot to mention. I had a couple MD players, my favorite allowed for recording with a line in. This was so bad ass because you couldn’t even do that with CDs yet. Alas, the one I have now is the lame Sony one that came out towards the end of MD, where you had to use a cpu to put music on the disc. Should have kept the line in.
Never understood why they didn’t make it big in the States. Circuit City even had an MD section in the music department.

Most of you guys don‘t get the innovative nature of the OP-Z.
the ergonomics are special and unique (looking at you -rumble module)

fast and tight, small and portable, best sounding digital filters, great Synths with a lot of sweet spots with a bit of craft, most advanced p locking and midi/Bluetooth sequencer, 2 way wireless communication between Model 15 for instance, wireless, playing notes from the model 15 app, recording to OP-Z, sweeping the filter knob on the App, record its motion with the OP-Z, flawless.

i Love it to death :skull_and_crossbones:

back to topic:

Wersi Drum Machine with individual Analog voice cards for every instrument (thru hole) once I grow in soldering and theory I’ll build this into Eurorack.

maybe in 25 years :new_moon_with_face:

3 Likes

The list is too long to mention every item, but one in particular is my old Akai S2000 sampler. As with most, but all, of the music equipment I purchased at that time, the Akai S2000 will never be use again, but for some reason I refuse to sell or discard it.

1 Like

I would not call it useless or stupid, but I do own a Prophet 12 and don’t gel with it that much. Have it since 2015 but only use it once a year. But will not sell it because I will lose more than $1000 atm. No way. Maybe it becomes a modern classic in a few centuries :rofl:

Alesis wedge, bought for send effect from ot, which I then fairly promptly sold. Wedge’s screen stopped working about a month after I bought it, rendering it valueless. But the the effects still work so cant bin. Will also swap for wickfut’s useless armk2.

1 Like

Generally I’m pretty good about getting rid of stuff that I don’t think I’ll ever use but some things just linger.
-A milk crate overflowing with rca cables.
-Cheap, crappy microphones. No-name stuff, some RadioShack, etc. Probably a dozen or so. I don’t even know where they came from.
-Vintage hi-fi gear. I set up the stuff that I could use, the rest just absorbs space in the garage.
-Keyboards from old organs I scrapped for parts.
-My old scanner. It was considered pretty nice when I bought it second hand in 2003. Haven’t plugged it in for 15 years or so, probably ought to toss it.
Most unused electronics just go to my parts bins in my garage/ workshop for future builds/repairs/projects.

Roland SP-808. I guess the old Zip disk technology has some weird charm to me. But, I really don’t think it can do anything that I couldn’t achieve more efficiently on something else. But I think it looks cool, and maybe some day it will become an in demand piece of retro gear and I’ll sell it for a profit…yeah right.

After all the years of buying and selling I’ve been pretty good at letting go of gear I don’t use, but I’ve never bothered to unload any of the extra cables picked up along the way.
They just accumulate in these storage tubs. There is probably a couple grand in Mogami cables in there.

1 Like

I just want to point out that so far all of the unloved/unused kit listed in this thread is more than plenty enough to put together a capable studio. Sequencers, samplers, synths, cables, we got it all. :rofl:

7 Likes

the worst part about cable limbo is, no matter how careful you are about keeping them neat, as soon as your back is turned, it turns into a gordian knot.

2 Likes