Point me to best seamless live sampling tutorials

hey guys, have been searching for clear instructions on how to record into the buffer and then trigger the recording without stopping. i have it set up using the flex machine and triggers pointing to play back the recorded buffer but i can’t seem to make it happen each time… it works, then it doesn’t. also sometimes i have trouble deleting a bad performance, etc.

basically i seem to be missing some little detail here and there.

anybody know a good tutorial for this so i can see what i am doing wrong?

1 Like

(One shot method for basic loop)

-One shot recorder trig step one: rlen:64, hold trig and select correct inputs
-Recorder buffer assigned to flex on the same track, trig on step one

That’s it…
Press play and your 64 step recording of the inputs will be made and monitored on the flex track as its recording, when it’s done it will loop.
Arm the one shot again to redo the loop…

6 Likes

thanks mike, this is what i am doing and it works most of the time but sometimes it doesn’t seem to work. i must be hitting rearming late or something.

1 Like

On a new project with only that setup, it should work every time without fail, no matter when you arm the one-shot…

Maybe try on a new project just to verify, then go back and see what’s different…
Maybe someone knows a video tutorial, but I’m not sure it’ll be more helpful…

For more details,
Are you staying in one pattern/part?
Does it work while your in that pattern/part but not after you leave and come back?

1 Like

*Note: no need to wait until after recording to place play trig

2 Likes

thanks! cool, i am getting it mostly now, however my issue now is that if i want to start fresh how do i get rid of the recordings in the buffer other than going through the menus? in the recording setup page i click on function + clear and it says clear rec track but then it still plays.

2 Likes

“Arm the one shot again to redo the loop”

2 Likes

No need to clear the recording, just re-record…

1 Like

right, but say i want to start everything over again, the four tracks that i have put guitar on… is there a quicker way than going to audio editor -file-clear slot?

1 Like

For clarity, if you do want to clear the recording its function+play in record setup with grid recording not active, if grid recording is active you clear the recorder track, which explains why your sample still plays…

I would just mute the tracks either with track buttons or a scene or something, and bring them back in after you re-record…

Personally as a looper I never clear the recordings, it seems like a detour/distraction from live play, re-re recording while dealing with muting one way or another seems much more efficient…

2 Likes

In some cases I don’t even mute, for rytm samples for example I just arm the one shot and allow the new recording to take over the active track, basically same as a sequential pattern change directly on Rytm…

2 Likes

Ahh. Nice. Yes i was in grid mode. And mute should be better too. Good idea

Thanks!

1 Like

got it, whew…loving the octatrack. i have used it a different way every week since i have it and have not even scratched the surface. my wife is kinda annoyed with the octatrack though.

here is my looper jam from last night, using the logidy umi3 to change tracks and record as in @AndreN 's tutorial.

10 Likes

That’s the reason I do these videos. Great stuff and congrats mate.

1 Like

i appreciate your help!

i remember growing up, when i lost the manual for my korg 01/w. that was it, the end of learning, whatever i didn’t know i would never know.

Nice man! I’m glad you got things flowing. Those mellow guitar vibes cheered me up, I miss my guitar it’s in storage, should probably go rescue it but it’s been good focusing on OT+Rytm…
Tell your wife the nauts send her love… :slight_smile:
Yeah and it’s nice of peeps like @AndreN to help with tutorials, love the “cheap tricks” series title…

:heavy_minus_sign:Next challenge (if you so accept) :smile::heavy_minus_sign:
-load the same guitar loop recorder buffer to multiple flexes
-slice/dice/warp/fx/reverse/pitch shift/etc… the flexes. (Use start points for slices, see below)
-make scenes to mix in and out the multiple flexes or warp them further
-after having something going, re-record a new loop into the buffer without stopping the sequencer, enjoy insta-remix action… :slight_smile:

:heavy_minus_sign:Notes on start point remixes :heavy_minus_sign:
-Start points are better for slicing buffers unless the bug is completely fixed where buffer slices disappear after power cycle, also because they change dynamically with tempo…
-Start points are like slices but are in 128 equal divisions
-On a 64 step pattern:
step 1: strt 0
step 17: strt 32
step 33: strt 64
step 49: strt 96

-In flex setup set len to time and the len parameter on flex playback will control slice length…

-The OT will play remixes while recording if it’s possible, if not it will play correctly once the recording has stopped and the pattern cycles again…

This is because you can’t play a section of a loop that hasn’t been recorded yet…
So if you start point lock a 64 step loop for example with strt 96 on step 1, the OT won’t be able to play it as its recording because it’s targeting a point in the future of the “to be” recording that hasn’t happened yet… If you start locked for example strt 32 on step 18, it will play as its recording…

-rlen 64 is much more reliable playing remixes while your recording the source because the OT has a known length to define the start points… I haven’t fully explored how it works on max…
-Any remix will play in its entirety after recording
-By carefully programming and making sure the OT isn’t trying to play something in the future, and being careful with pitch/rate/maybe some other time based things, you can use a solid record trig instead one-shots and have a continual remix being made as your playing in…

:dizzy::heart_eyes_cat::dizzy:
:earth_africa: :elot:

6 Likes

Awesome thread!

1 Like

Holy shit my mind just blew up. Haha. Will definitely give this a go tonight or tomorrow and report my findings.

Thanks for being so helpful. The nauts rock!

2 Likes

After all that, set another track recorder buffer to record cue, re-sample the remixes into one track, carefully set retrig parameters on scenes and play the scenes like a synth! Of course re sample that and warp more…
And then… :thinking: and then… Haha! :elot:

2 Likes

Chains of resampling are fun…
Recorder 1 capturing inputs played on flex with fx
Recorder 2 recording track 1 complete with fx and doing some stuff on playback (rate/pitch/fx,etc…)
Recorder 3 set on odd track length recording track 2 using multiple record trigs and short rlen, doing more stuff
Recorder 4 recording track 3, etc…

Mess with all manner of track lengths which can be different between recording and playback, multiple recorder trigs, different rlen settings, anything you can mess with on the play tracks…

:heavy_minus_sign::heavy_minus_sign:
Lately my experiments have led me to a 64 trig on every step linear locked start point sequence of a recorder buffer of a rytm pattern with a scene having rate plocked way down and also rtrg and rtim plocked to make a note that harmonizes with the key of the rytm pattern, meanwhile its also being sent through a master track comb filter in the same key…

In another part the rytm sample is played through a scene with rate at 0 and timestrech set to time. The track has plocked linear start points every bar for movement. It’s going through a freeze delay with lock turned on, pass on, dir 0, feedback 127, vol round 100, time 2. The track is silent while the sequencer is going and by using the delay control it becomes audible and I play bass with it using the delay control time trigs… :monkey_face:

1 Like