Plexus 4 midi router, splitter, merger, filter…

16 Likes

So cute!! I’m not even sure I need it in my current setup and I have to have it!

3 Likes

Looks good!

Interested in how it compares to the Blokas Midihub.

1 Like

The Plexus has USB MIDI Hosting.

3 Likes

Ah, yes thanks!

So it has USB hosting vs 1 extra MIDI DIN.

I don’t own either, but have always been interested in the MIDI f*ckery you can do with these types of devices!

128 Presets sounds good, too.

1 Like

Midihub has 4/4 MIDI DIN inputs/outputs. This has 3/3 + the USB ports.

Seems like you can do more advanced stuff with the Midihub’s pipes in the software, but having configurability directly on a device like this is something that I’m sure is very desirable for a lot of people. With the Midihub I use a fixed setup with controller buttons mapped to allow quick rerouting of keyboard notes to different devices + channels, so having software-less configuration in a MIDI processor isn’t really useful for me personally. It’s great that there’s so many options on the market though.

3 Likes

As the designer of Plexus, I hope no one minds my take. I really haven’t described my thought process anywhere yet, so I might as well do it here for the first time.

Since Plexus doesn’t use computer software to configure, and the UI is based on a 4x4 grid matrix only, there is no way it can achieve the sheer amount of filtering options available in boxes with a software option or screen to program (Midihub, Event Processor, MRCC etc.). If you want to filter and modify messages six ways to Sunday, like scaling data, inverting data, changing a message using a scalpel, Plexus is not the tool for that.

But that wasn’t my goal. My primary “want” was having that 4x4 matrix UI that’s easy to use in real-time to change routes, splits and merges. I also wanted it to be small AND square. Of course, it was also the idea from the start that it would perform USB Hosting to help separate from the computer. Because of this and the size I was aiming for, I decided on it being 3x3 DIN and USB as #4. The USB Host and the USB Device ports are actually coupled together as I/O #4, with the user being able to decide in Global Setting whether to make either of them Bi-Directional, Rx Only or Tx Only.

I knew I was going to add filters for each output (so it’s like 4 filter boxes). The filtering that is in Plexus are like the hammers, saws, mills and drills of the building world, not the CNC machine. It can fulfill a whole lot of day-to-day needs, but its not going to do anything too exotic.

When I was asking potential users and testers what else I should do, I was clued into Poly Chaining. I realized that this was a perfect add, because that’s a good task for the inputs instead of the outputs. So each input has its own Poly Chain engine which compliments the output’s Filtering engines nicely.

I loaded this with enough memory to stores 128 Presets. That’s every route, filter and poly chain settings stuffed into a preset. The filtering options themselves are pretty massive when you multiple most of them x16 (MIDI Channels) and then x4 (Outputs).

All-in-all, there are reasons to want Plexus and reasons to want Midihub (and others). I still use the Event Processor in my setup dedicated to a specific task that I’ve owned for years. Had it not been for the Event Processor doing what I needed and coming along first, I probably would own a Midihub myself.

31 Likes

I’m nowhere near needing this product yet but thank you for this detailed description, which is going to be very helpful to potential buyers.

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response! Always nice when a maker/dev chimes in!

Maximum respect for making these.

I’m sure a lot of people feel the same about not wanting to use software. Hope you sell loads!

2 Likes

Something like this would be particularly useful if you use a smallish setup but like to regularly switch out gear, could just pull something off of a shelf and quickly integrate it without much fuss.

1 Like

And I appreciate the opportunity to share my process. I haven’t release all the details yet or the documentation, but I can answer anything if there’s a question.

3 Likes

Can it be USB bus powered? Or is the 9v DC mandatory? I missed that info on the site.

1 Like

Great idea. Fits nicely into a niche !

2 Likes

9V is required. I didn’t give it that much thought really, 9v barrel connector center negative is the standard I’ve settled on for all my gear. But I’d stop to think if I wanted Plexus drawing USB Power and then also providing USB Power on its own Host port (which it does). Oh, Plexus can also support plugging in a USB Hub for up to 4 USB Devices (didn’t mention that). I could increase it even more, but then I’d definitely say to use a USB Hub that provides power.

4 Likes

This looks great and exactly like something I would be into.
All the functionality is wonderful, the poly chain really sends it over the top.
No really need for a computer is PERFECT.
If I needed deep software midi I’d go with Bomes ever time.

1 Like

Just being a standalone USB host is making me seriously consider replacing my standalone host with this. The one I currently have is probably less reliable and only serves that one purpose, this definitely opens up a lot of possibilities as far as the straightforward matrix for configuration and being able to interface class compliant usb and non usb midi hardware away from a computer is really more convenient than some people would imagine. Nice one!

Also agree with jemmons, very kawaii!

2 Likes

Major kudos for the UI design. I look at the faceplate of this and I know exactly how to use it. I’m sure there may be a few extra goodies I’d learn about from the manual, but on the whole it’s just self-explanatory. This is such an elegant solution!

I’d been planning on getting an RK-006 to have a little portable MIDI router with USB host, but now you have me leaning toward changing my plan.

Are there any restrictions on the USB hubs it would support? The RK-006 is apparently only compatible with specific hubs.

1 Like

Just when I was thinking about how it bums me out that my JLC MSB+ and DMC MX-6 can only merge two inputs at a time… this comes along.

1 Like

Thanks. USB Hubs can be a minefield. Who’s to say a hub that doesn’t work is because that hub is built around expecting something in conjunction with a PC Driver? I’m going to need to compile my own list at some point, and I suspect it’ll look like other peoples lists. I can say that my Amazon Basic 4 port hubs work fine, and I suspect any that are built strictly to the standards will be too. I know there will be issues reported, I wonder if it can even be helped. There are just so many out there. I’m going to stick to the positive aspects of it and say supporting even 50% of the hubs out there is still better than not supported any hubs at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. 9v C- (guitar pedal) seems like a reasonable choice considering it is a USB Host too.

Host power is definitely something the Blokas has that this doesn’t. It’ll matter to some people. A trade off.

2 Likes