Please help ! Octatrack drum pairing suggestion

Hi all. I know this has been already asked before but all i find is old posts and since then there has been many drum machines released and i have hard time going through everything, plus i would really appreciate people who actually have experience with suggested machines.
So, i have finally some money and bought organelle and i’m looking for drum synth/machine to kinda fill all the gaps for music making for now. I’m at the moment open for any suggestion, i’m not looking for particular sound of 808 or 909 but i have nothing against it. I’m looking for machine which is “compatible” with octatrack, i hope you understand what i mean…all the program/midi talk between two. The only machine what i’m considering now is LXR drum synthesizer, but soldering part is killing me.
One thing which i’m looking for in drum machine is being able to change program/pattern so that i have preprogrammed stuff for each track when i play live.

Price up to 500€

Many thanks in advance!

Go to a shop and play with some. Honestly buying stuff blind is the worst idea ever.
Make an informed decision, and by informed I mean, you tried it out yourself.
In my case it meant a 1200km round trip to by an octatrack, then the same journey a few years later to buy a drum machine. I live far away from shops that sell gear.

Forum search is my favorite resource.

8 Likes

Get a Rytm ! the MkI looks real good next to the OT MkII. i know your price range is 500 (euros?) but second hand Rytm should be cheap and can do alot more than most other 500 euro drum machines!

2 Likes

I’d slightly change your request from “drum machine” to “percussion sound source”. If you are not using the 8 midi tracks on the Octa they are a great drum machine on their own. Hard to find a better sequencer. Pair with nord drum, blofeld (16 parts). Maybe best would be a volca sample. You can use the internal sequencer and/or trigger from the Octatrack midi as needed.

4 Likes

I just got a Rytm to go with my Octatrack. The advantages are familiarity with the sequencer & workflow, gives you analog synthesis with patch recall, and as @glooms says it looks great!
Though I was pretty tempted by the tanzmaus for the size/price…

3 Likes

I’m still in the market for a MkI but prices seem to have gone up recently. I near-missed a deal for 600€ recently, and right now all ads are around 800€. I doubt you can find one for 500€ these days, but if you do, don’t hesitate a single second!

3 Likes

I bought mine brand new a couple years before the MKII came out for 1550$ USD no regrets ! But yeah I wouldn’t mind grabbing one for 600$ After the mkii release but gotta stay positive and believe my money was well spent !

2 Likes

Yeah rytm is really good no doubt, but so far i haven’t found anything under 800€…but but but, i started to think about digitakt, since i can find “i know a guy who sells it” one for 400€ i’m seriously considering buying and using it as drum machine and freeing up 3 sometimes 4 tracks on my octa which is another big thing for me. i want to use octas midi duties for my organelle and have dedicated machine for drums and i think digitakt can do that, at least from the researche i’ve done on the forum. And plus really big thing about digitakt for me is that if i run it as master, i can change bpm on pattern change which octa can’t do…if you guys have digi/octa setup i’ll gladly hear something about it and thanks for all the replies! :sunny:

Arturia DrumBrute

1 Like

I did check it yeah, it does sound good for the price for sure, but theres something about it what holds me back.

Nord Drum 1/2/3. Reasonably priced and sound a bit like the LXR. No sequencer though

3 Likes

You won’t know till you try it :slight_smile:

The OT makes an amazing drum machine. I’m starting to think 2 OTs, one for drums, the second for the rest could be a perfect setup for live.

2 Likes

Didn’t know about the LXR. I went to watch some demos, I quite like it! I heard some cool sounds. You say a Nord Drums can do similar stuff? Any links to share were we can hear a NordDrum going into experimental wilderness?

I use nord drum 2 and model cycles.

Principle is the same in both cases, octa listens to the incoming audio, and live loop, mangle,etc and add its seqencing capabilities on top…

1 Like

an old video of mine

i did some more or less experimental drums in the video starting at around minute 1:20

4 Likes

Everybody always recommends the Nord Drum 2. Have you tried to find one recently (in the US at least). Every time I look it’s extremely slim pickings at usually inflated prices if any are available at all.

I mean it’s cool and I’ve wanted one for years but I rarely see one when I try looking.

Haha, about 2 hours back i came across this on Youtube & it prompted me to place a Wanted thread here on Elektronauts. I’ve actually owned 2 in the past & now it’s time for another (or the 3P)

I think they’re beautiful machines. Seems to balance the synthetic & organic in a really interesting way.

1 Like

I found mine last years at a really decent price and it was like new.
It’s an item that has been sold widely to classic musicians ie: drummers and not only to electronic producers.
The formers don’t have a culture for speculation on items, for a drummer it’s just another piece of kit.
So you actually find them with “normal” prices on unconventionnal selling circuit…
When I was looking for one, Reverb, ebay etc… were really pricey, but using “le bon coin” which is a french site where everyone sell anything you could imagine,( old toys, dishes, broken tv, car spares, even houses)… And found mine, like new with nord pads for 450 euros incl shipping.

1 Like