Drum machines that pair well with the Octatrack

So today I decided to get a tr8 to use for supplemental drums/percussion with the octatrack, thought I could use the 909kicks and hihats, maybe 808 toms and clavs, even free up a few tracks on the octatrack. For me this machine does not work well with the octatrack at all, I didn’t really realize it but the octatrack has a pretty gritty sound to it, where the tr8 just sounded so overly digital and plastic it just completely stuck out in the mix. The snares and claps are completely unusable.

Then there is the sequencers, this is the first time I’ve been able to experience for myself when people describe a certain sequencer as having a bounce or rhythm that makes the machine difficult to emulate; the octatrack has a bounce to it where even when I just replaced my kick track with one on the tr8 it just started to sound flat and took the energy out of the beat, was not expecting this.

So now I’m looking for a new drum machine, hopefully something quite limited I’ve been thinking tr606 because of its sound or tr707. I’m selling my md and feel the rytm has way more features than I would ever use or like to pay for. Anyone have other drum machines in their setups that work well with the octatrack?

Sounds like you might need to try a bunch of different things…
But you said your getting rid of your MD? Why its a great drummachine to pair

I guess you are trying to save some money by selling the MD and getting a cheaper drum machine. If not, A4 does great drums. I’ve been using it more more like a drum machine to off load some of the drum duties from my Octa.

I’ve bean using the Octa as the main drum/percussion and A4 doing the synth duties only but lately I’ve been sampling various synths on the octa as stems and using few of the tracks on the A4 to do drums. It has given me a new overall sound as my music was starting to sound same for awhile.

If you want a dedicated cheaper drum machine, I’ve seen people use LXR successfully with the Elekctron gear. It looks like a Elektron gear in fact and seems to have similar features.

Yea definitely trying to save some cash, but with the md and a4 they both have this sort of self contained in the box sound to them, like there isn’t enough internal headroom to them that I wasn’t crazy about. And the md just sounded a bit thin, where as the octatrack solves both those problems for me.

I’d also like something more immediate that has its set sounds, something that I could just bring in and out live while tweaking the octatrack, that’s why the 606 and 707 were on my mind.

Hmm what about a cheap Nord or older Jomox? Nord Drum 2 really impresses me…

Would you be sequencing from the OT with CC controls?

Oh, and did you try running the TR8 through the OT inputs to make the sound more cohesive at all?

MD too thin
Rytm too many features

What about an LXR or an MPC?

Ive never really heard the nords doing basic drums it always seems like their demos are doing these crazy pitched effected tom sounds so I don’t know if use like them or not, but the jomox I do like the sound of. Have you owned any of their models that you could recommend?

I was thinking about running the tr through the octatrack, will try that tonight.

Sounds like you need to utilize the assignable outputs, feed them into some thru machines and get to work on making your hits sounds the way you want. Use the octatrack to layer samples over your hits. Or buy a korg volca sampler and either match the channels up so its layering with the tr8 or just use the volca sampler as your drum machine.

You know what I’m noticing, the sequencers don’t seem to align correctly, they do in that their playing the same Bol and everything in time but it’s like if you had a brat where everything had a global swing to it, but then the kick was completely rigid. That’s he sound I’m getting even with a 4 on the floor beat from the tr8

if you enjoy the challenge of synthesizing your own drums, a multi timbal synth like blofeld or virus is a fun pairing with the OT midi sequencer.

Before getting rid of the TR I’d suggest sequencing it from the OT to get a tight sync and running it through the THRU machines to get a better sonic coherency.

I’ve not owned a Nord Drum - Adam has so I’ll let him chime in - and I’ve I my owned a Jomox Mbase (which I fucking loved for kicks, maybe even more than the RYTM?), but I’ve played a few Jomox’s and found the ones I used to be fun and full and just right, if you like the 909 thing.

If you’re sequencing from the OT maybe try the Airbase99 - REALLY good value I think, so is the xbase09.

1 Like

I just went through this. Nearly bought a jomox xbase 09. Ended up buying an oplab and a Mpc 500. Couldnt be happier.

totally agree that the tr8 stands to much out in the mix. it´s sounds a bit plastic and bright, especially hihats and rides … and yes, after playing a while with the sounds it sounds boring. I don´t understand why Roland is focused on the old machines … we have 2015 … TR8 panel with Rym sound machines would be the killer :wink:

In my live set I run TR8 through the Octas input and it feels like the octa takes the bass away and it´s very easy to get a distorted sound while driving the Octa inputs hot. It cuts the transients of the bass drum. So better run Octa main out into TR8 ext. in … and you can use the sidechain compressor for some ducking effects.

What about MFB522 or Vermona DRM? You could both programm it via Octatrack - or even via your MD! MD is a fantastic Midi controler+ sequencer too!!!

+1 MFB522. Cheap, pocket sized and sounds amazingly good. And you’ve got all the MIDI you need for it in the Octatrack.

Have you thought about buying a second OT? I’m thinking about a second OT myself :imp:
I have TR-8 and I do layer it with A4 and OT.