Please change this entire forum to Behringernauts

I swear I’m up here more lately for Berhringer updates than Elektron stuff.

10 Likes

Behringernauts is not catchy enough. Maybe something like Behrangers? :warning:

8 Likes

no need. They‘ll clone this forum soon

You will find me under the name Unifauna

23 Likes

Do we draw the line when Behringer clones the Digitakt? Octatrack? Monomachine?!

But in reality, Behringer is dropping new gear announcements like every other week. I can’t keep up.

I don’t believe they have cloned any in-production synths so I would be surprised to see a “clone” of the Digitakt, a feature-clone is what it would have to be really. Before anyone says the Crave is a clone of the M32 as a counterpoint, no it’s not. I do wish Elektron themselves would release a re-issue of the MM though!

2 Likes

For this reason i’d rather Behringer updates be pushed OFF of most sites. GAS is the death of creativity.

6 Likes

Self control is the responsibility of the individual. You control what the mouse clicks. If you don’t want to view the Behringer threads, don’t move your mouse to the link.

3 Likes

There is the opposite side if GAS. Gear disposal syndrome. I just sold 3 pieces of gear to fund 2, therefore I now have less pieces of gear. Self control and self imposed limitations are key.

These companies do make it difficult though. Especially Behringer.

4 Likes

Well Oddyssey, and MS-20 are still in production by Korg, unless I’m mistaken?

That aside I don’t understand Behringers burning desire to keep re-hashing the past aside from monetary and possibly ego reasons, I think people will tire of it sooner than expected though. Relying on endless rampant (GAS) consumerism isn’t a good long term strategy, and everyone eventually realises there is no magic bullet, least of all large, comparatively limited recreations of old gear.

5 Likes

Yep, MS20 Mini and Odessey are still in production.

Odyssey and MS-20 are clones themselves, officially sanctioned but still 100% clones. They had their own period as new products for sale back in the day, so I don’t consider it to be the same thing as if they were to clone a Matriarch or something like that.

As far as tiring of excellent sounding synths on the market for good prices, I’m not so sure that people will. I mean, a good synth is a good synth and if you’re a talented musician you will be able to use it to make good-sounding music. Really though, I think that all this cloning business is just training for their engineers. My guess is that in a decade or so they will be one of the largest players with a full lineup of original synths.

3 Likes

Quite possible actually.
We‘ll see.

1 Like

They already are one of the largest players, if you include Music Tribe.

2 Likes

Burgernauts

5 Likes

See you and raise you

Buggernuns

1 Like

Absolutely true, my point was in regard not to the sound (although that is subjective anyway) but more to the lack of modern features that are missing, such as CC control, patch memories etc, on old gear it is understandable and accepted, but lets say you bought 4 Behringer monosynths at 300 each, the Model D, the MS-1, the Pro One and the Odyssey, after the honeymoon period you are left with fairly limited by todays standards specifications WRT midi, and you realise you could have bought something like an Analog4 for the same money, less space, more capabilities etc. Then once it starts happening on a wider scale used prices fall due to market saturation with used units, and suddenly they don’t seem quite the bargain anymore.

On the flip side if they pushed their resources into something a bit more original then they could create gear which would become future classics, like Elektron do. Personally I’m glad that they don’t, let them chase Roland’s ghosts. :wink:

5 Likes

I cant wait until they release the Boctatrack at NAMM

3 Likes

not a clone but a copycat :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

MS20, Odyssey, Moog Mother32 and Minimoog D (the latter out of production now, of course.)

They’ve cloned a ton of in-production guitar and other studio gear alongside.

Crave is not a clone of the Mother 32. This has become popular to say, but it’s simply not a clone. It’s only a copycat to the same degree that any small patchable monosynth with integrated sequencer is, but that kind of thing existed before the Mother 32 as well, and the concept continues to be popular.