Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Can any SP16 users confirm something for me? While it’s set to external midi clock, will it still start on it’s own play button?

I mean when the master is stopped and the SP16 is stopped. Some machines insist on waiting for sync to start themselves.

Thank you.

Is there a way to get around the 4 bar limit on this thing? If I got a 16 bar sampled loop, can I play that to its full length somehow if it’s one of them 137BPM things going on? I’ve read somewhere that you can slice it up and split it up over scenes, and apparently this works seamlessly so while it’s awkward in terms of workflow, the end result sounds good.

Has anyone here tried this? Does it work? Is there a better way to do this? Like different time signatures per track or something?

Thanks for anyone taking the time to answer this.

New update adds fx2 and midi enhancements amongst a few other minor things.

ver. 1.60 Update
[NEW]

• Now able to use second FX module (FX2) on SAMPLE tracks and THRU tracks.
  • MIDI messages received from the USB-B terminal can now be sent out via the MIDI OUT/THRU terminal.
  • MIDI messages received from the MIDI IN terminal can now be sent out via the USB-B terminal.

[IMPROVED]

• Multiple tracks can now be assigned to the same MIDI channel using the MIDI IN channel settings.
  • MIDI-related sync and performance settings.
  • Now able to use an underscore on the software keyboard
2 Likes

I have not tried it but in theory slicing and spreading across 2 patterns should work fine, I seem to remember some other workaround too but can’t recall the exact method, it is probably on the sp16 forum somewhere.

Honestly though the sp16 is best thought of as an easy to use, unsophisticated sequencer that sounds excellent and has a nice interface. It doesn’t have polymeter or anything much outside of 4/4, all tracks are fixed to same length within a pattern, song mode is extremely basic (think mpc2000) no mute automation or anything fancy.

Having said this for typical techno/house etc styles it is pretty solid if a tad unadventurous. The way I intend to use it is for basic stuff, using each bank of 16 (upto 4 bar patterns) as sections of a “song” with various tracks containg no data to get around the lack of mutes. But tbh I have not really dived into it yet.

Edit: I think it is best thought of as a modern MPC2000xl with some +/-.

Edit2: The looper functionally is quite nice too.

3 Likes

Yes it will.

1 Like

Thanks, yep, I’ve let this go now.

Though I saw that Pioneer released an update just the other day, with an additional fx slot thrown into the mix, so they still support it, it seems.

1 Like

My guess is they are getting ready to launch a mk2 incorporating the squid sequencer. I sold my sp16 but really enjoy listening back to stuff I did with it.

3 Likes

I’ve played with it in the store some. It’s the best sounding sampler I’ve tried, if you want it clean, clear and pretty damn close to a mastered sound.

2 Likes

Feels like the verdict is similar to AS-1 - amazing sound but interface not for everyone. Still, I want both

For me the interface is fine, not too much menu diving and pretty quick and easy to learn, where I think it lacks a bit is in modern sequencer expectations, things like different track lengths, conditional sequencing, too basic song mode, mute and scene memories etc.

Also the sampler/sound engine side of things could be improved, although it isn’t that bad and sounds really nice, it lacks much depth, the fx are really good but things like mod sources and much in the way of in depth editing is lacking.

I guess for some people this will be advantageous - not to get too bogged down in options, and I think it might end up being sought after in the future, there aren’t many fast, easy to use samplers with analog filter and separate outputs. I don’t think they will make another version, could be wrong here though.

1 Like

it’s a shame it aint as fully featured as you or I might wish. granted I guess I’m just not the target market… but Id like to be :smile:

1 Like

YES ! totally agree, sold it but miss it’s sound, “mastered” is the right description. Currently a price drop to $899 usd , I may buy again

1 Like

899 are you out of your mind? Wow that’s a good deal

2 Likes

LOL I think it is I see the SP2016 as a modern day SP1200 , funny thing is I see the Octatrack the same way but with more features . I must say it is hands down the best sounding sampler imho that I have heard. Very clear but deep low end and nice high end that is not brittle or harsh. I dont buy into the whole 'filter" marketing but I really like the the Dave Smith filter on the unit.
It is also very inspiring and 'immediate" instrument I found myself puuting together basic arrangements quickly hmmm … i may buy it today again. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:
You’re a bad infuence v00d00ppl :grin:

1 Like

Yes simple easy to use . Big pluses for me (Im not that bright) :wink:
I do wish it could multisample that would put it over the top as a full fledged sampler imo.

1 Like

I wonder if the price drop has anything to do with the Roland MC 707 ?
I wouldn’t mind an SP16 MKII, i highly doubt it is in the works but you never know.
NowI have to sell my Maschine MK3 to fund this purchase … decisions … decisions

I have a tr-8s and a 707. I’ve owned the sp16 before but had to sell for funds. At this price I’m tempted to sell the tr8s and use the funds towards another sp16.

What do y’all think? Tr8s vs sp16?

That’s actually a good question. You’d loss a couple bucks but I’d sell the 8s and get a Toraiz and use it with the MC707

The price drop could be because of the 707, but I would also think it is because the MPC Live is now $999, which is probably a more direct competitor.