Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

There’s one on eBay that I’ve been looking at for 700US out the door. Even if I don’t use it I can use it as another filter / process box . Good price?

Oh yes. Locally in Seattle they’re going for about $800 on CL.

1 Like

Yeah thars a great price!

I’m torn between spending a week in Malta in May or buying another sampler right now. First world problems. It’s got punch doesn’t it?

1 Like

Ditto the DJS1000 , a total beast of a machine with little fanfare or promotion.

I keep finding new ways to work it, from just pulling a beat together to sound design to live instrument. Both future classics imho

Lol, I’d say the sampler mate

1 Like

Since I’m likely to be in first-world-skeptic, post-Brexit London in May, I’d like to be able to imagine you in rather-less-fucked-up Malta, reacquainting yourself with whichever piece of equipment you’d have otherwise shoved aside for the SP-16.

Far better to return home with 1) a late-Spring tan and 2) a renewed appreciation for a piece of kit that makes missing out on one of Pioneer’s malnourished sonic orphans a mere bagatelle.

1 Like

You can also use the SP-16 for single cycle waveforms, something that doesn’t seem to get mentioned much.

I needed those words of wisdom. If I still lust it at the end of the trip then I will get one.

1 Like

Which do you prefer the DJS1000? Or the sp16?

Besides the p6 filter I think the box design of the sp16 looks cool. I use Arturia spark a lot and it reminds me of it with a better layout.

I don’t have the 16, looked at in detail though, went with the djs as felt it fitted my set up better in terms of very simple live sampling as main want, followed by easy step sequencing. The sp16 drive and filter was the hardest for me to get past that said , would like both lol. Very happy with Djs tho as stated

1 Like

But there is threshold sampling right?

Yes and start sampling on play too, but these are not available for the live sampling option.

DJS and SP-16 are the same memory isnt it? So maybe the SP-16 still gets updates as the DJS-1000? I like the form factor of the SP-16, looks usable imho for live.

Hmm last OS update is from last year February, there is not much support going on with this product.

So how are people feeling about these now? They seem to be going for less than used OT atm. Still solid, feeling and sounding good? Or has everyone moved theirs out the door? That filter is still tempting.

Also: how does it handle live inputs? Can you run stereo thru, with gainstaging and maybe effects?

It’s super fun, fast, and sounds phenomenal. Just make sure it does what you need from it and buy it, it’s going so much cheaper than retail these days.

2 Likes

Agree, I think the MPC Live killed the Toraiz “cos more is more better” but I think in 10 years time the Toraiz will still be sought after and the MPC Live may have long been superseded and forgotten.

The analog filter, separate outputs, simple UI and great sound, and the fact that it isn’t trying to be a less powerful, more expensive, slower version of a DAW are what sets it apart from the MPC Live.

In many ways it is more like an oldschool MPC.

3 Likes

Dawsons in UK have ex display models for £699 and the cdj style unit. Also the toraiz synth is almost half price

Few bargains to be had

2 Likes

Roughly the same deals in the US for anyone interested. A few retailers on Ebay are blowing them out for $850 new.

For that price I decided to pick one up. The interface is really great…very easy to use. Not a DAW replacement of course, but more like a sampling drum machine with a few extras thrown in.

News lately says that Pioneer DJ is up for sale again, so who knows what that means regarding future OS updates and support. That could go either way, but I wouldn’t base my purchase decision on any possible new OS/features.
https://djtechtools.com/2019/05/06/pioneer-dj-might-be-sold-again-in-2019/

2 Likes

Yea other resellers are blowing out pioneer DJ gear too. Something is brewing

1 Like