Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Just updated my SP16, the live sampling is super quick and easy to take multiple samples, like for example if you want to sample a phrase across multiple pads, just hit the pads in order where you want the samples to appear, quite elegant.

5 Likes

Question for the SP users, Iā€™m considering replacing my DT with the SP16 can someone clarify the kit/pattern relation and how it works with program changes?

Iā€™ve just started to get frustrated with the lack of kits on the DT when integrated with with the rest of my elektrons. Would the SP address this or does it still require two cc commands?

Also, does the SP have some sort of conditional trigs or equivalent? Those with both machines, is there anything else one would miss from the DT that is not plainly obvious?

I never used Program change so canā€™t tell you about that.

The SP16 does have a song mode though, so that might help.

Bad: No trigger conditions, sequencer isnā€™t quite as refined as DT and neither is sample allocation.

Good: 16 tracks per pattern, slices, great fx 1 per sample and 1 master, individual outs.

I like them both. I recommend downloading the manual and having a good read through before getting rid of your DT.

1 Like

I did say program change but I suppose I actually meant pattern change. I read somewhere that there is some sort of issue where a pattern change does( or doesnt) automatically trigger a kit/scene change. Is that true because if it is I suppose Iā€™m back to the same issue with the DT. I think Iā€™d want to use it slaved not as master.

I guess Iā€™m wondering if that aspect is more akin to the DT or what the MD does in tying kits to patterns.

If i was you a take the MPC Live over the SP16 all the time!

Honestly i think the SP16 sooo limited. I this Is a more dj short sampler player than a producer/beatmaker thing. He have potencial but is so superficial. Bought them and sent it back some days later and take the MPC Live. Later on bought the Digitakt and sent it back too because i think is a pain editing long samples and the 1gb drive capacity is a shame in a modern sample just like in Analog Rytm.

It depends what you are after, in a sense the SP-16 is like an updated MPC-2000xl to me, if I wanted a DAW like experience Iā€™d probably just choose a DAW over the MPC Live, but it all depends on what you want I guess. The SP-16 is much simpler than the Live, or even the DT in some ways.

Iā€™d say a used toraiz which someone hasnā€™t used much as they got miffed with pioneer and are selling cheap is a good move. Itā€™s limited but sound awesome and is fun. When my studio is done Iā€™ll have OT2 sequencing toraiz for the first time which I think will leapfrog the limits of sp16, if it slaves nice.

yes i feel SP-16 is very simpler and very expensive for what he does. I donā€™t think i deserves that price. Fo me the problem of the DT is the memory capacity but i think is something fun

Totally agree I had an SP16 easy workflow yes there limitations but it is a truly inspiring unit. I found
that I was most productive with it, I feel like you can never do something bad with the sp16.
It sounds amazing, filters are great I returned it and purchased an MPC Live to go with the OT2 which is a amazing combination, but was overkill in some regards for my use. MPC live is now gone, I am about to order another SP16 to pair with the OT2. ( which is currently paired with Maschine MK3)
OT2 sampling capabilities balance out SP16ā€™s shortcomings in that area, also think routing audio from OT2 to SP16 conversion and filters with probably sound amazing and of course drum sequencing on the sp16 !

3 Likes

My only hesitation has been the price honestly. I donā€™t need an all in one machine, I have that already in the MV8800 for when I want it.

For what the MV can do the new MPCs donā€™t do much more although it is most assuredly quicker. It really is DAW in a box but so is the MV. In this case I canā€™t justify the expense because the MV still kills and Iā€™m way more familiar with it and I struggle in the MPC environment.

The appeal of the SP is the immediacy and the sound. Thereā€™s one at the local music shop and Iā€™m always impressed with the sound every time I try it. I also dig what the flow is with the limited time Iā€™ve spent on it.

I started looking at the SP again recently after using my OT/DT/A4 all together at once for the first time. I made a song with 11 patterns and became frustrated with the DT for the first time. Most of my usage with it has been alone so I havenā€™t minded the quirk of no kits so much but once incorporated into a multi machine setup I really missed it.

I know this may seem a strange solution(especially when I already own a MD). I also thought about grabbing a Rytm to replace the DT but man something is calling me to the SP.

Iā€™ve implemented a one in one out rule in my home studio so I would be using the DT as a partial trade in. Iā€™ve done the math and if I go through with it I would be in for about what the cost was when it came out including the initial price of the DT.

I also wouldnā€™t have bought the SP in the state it was in when released firmware wise. From what Iā€™ve read most of that has been sorted if you buy it to be a drum machine first and a sampler second. I feel the same can be said of the DT.

A 2nd hand sp16 , about Ā£500 to Ā£700 is worthwhile. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d pay more than that.

1 Like

Spot on !

1 Like

I paid about Ā£600 for a used but fantastic condition one. Iā€™ve had it two days. It seems very simple but thatā€™s a pro and cons. I have machines that are a lot more complex, MPC Live, Octatrack, tr-8s, digitakt, but thereā€™s something about the sp-16 that I like.

Not sure Iā€™ll keep it, but for the price it seemed to good to not at least try and maybe sell at a small loss.

1 Like

I was able to grab one today for $1000CAD which is about $755USD. Local shop had a used floor model on blowout and I couldnā€™t resist. Had a bit of a muck about this afternoon and Iā€™m diggin it so far. Still need to RTFM but most of it seems pretty straight forward.

Just a couple questions about gain staging for anyone who may know, the whole unit seems quite hot and everything redlines at the default settings, do you find that you need to roll quite a bit off to get a good mix in the box? I found with my first scene that some of the samples Iā€™d set the level as low as 40. Iā€™m not to bothered if thatā€™s the case but it did seem like there can be a very wide variance on levels to get a good mix. It seems more extreme than most of the other samplers that Iā€™ve owned.

Also, Iā€™m not super familiar with Pioneer but I saw a meme recently about redlining all the channels and the master channel on one of their mixers. I think the joke was about all the DJs maxing out all the time? Is there a grain of truth to this or does PIoneer just have hard limiters on everything so it doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s redlining?

I find it quite normal to have pretty low mixer settings for some tracks.

B U L L S H I T !

Seriously, your grooves are great.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Can this sampler finally do other time signatures than 4/4?

2 Likes

The realtime capture/looping mode introduced in the last update is actually pretty awesome, it allows very quick capture and also to use it as a looper without the sequencer, you can sample either to a predetermined length or manual start and stop for any length upto the maximum sample time (64 secs IIRC)

Then you can have the sample loop continuously or play as one shot, you can rotate the position of the sample for example if you started late etc. You can then go into the sample edit screen and futher edit, you can save the sample or unload it without saving.

If you play in an external source and capture it but your timing is sloppy you can slice the sample and resequence it in time, pretty cool.

It doesnā€™t have any method of remote recording aside from hitting the pad, I have not tested it with midi yet to see if recording can be triggered from a controller.

I think it is a shame that the SP-16 isnā€™t more popular and that Pioneer donā€™t seem to have much interest in promoting and updating it more, because even though it is a capable box it probably really could have a bigger market share.

2 Likes