Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

And the other way around is right too… i think it’s still targeted DJS1000 to DJs and SP16 to Producers (on some options available only on one and the other) but i think Music company will have to wake up at some point because the border between the DJ and the producer no longer exists …

So it would be better to offer an expensive product with all the functions we really need and less objections to be able to make…

2 Likes

Can you P-lock the reverb parameters on the DJS?

Thank you.

I read the manual but still wasn’t sure, maybe I was overthinking things. Just wanted to be certain.

I guess the SP seems more suited to studio use, although I intend on mainly using it for live sets these will be in my studio where routing tracks into my modular/OT and external fx is a big plus.

1 Like

I am interested in hearing Maceo Plex’s new live rig.

2x toraiz, analog heat, RMX. All are very hi-fi sound equipment.

I really like the looks of the DJS, but the toraiz seems much more practical. The whole “mix random out of key drum loops” into a DJ tech house set is not that exciting, and can be accomplished a lot more effectively with say a TR-8 because it’s easy to tune the drums on the fly.

The DJS is great kit and a lot can be done with it, but it seems Pioneer likes to bank on the “impulse purchase” of consumers when releasing stuff.

6D982C5C-ECCE-44AB-AFA4-9A619CB5707E

1 Like

That’s a keeper bro. Mix that down and print.

Btw I remember you back in Ableton forum since live 5 or live 6 days. Jeez that’s a long time ago.

1 Like

What’s RMx? Stylus RMX?

1 Like

Yea man! Thanks. We’ve been on Elektronauts for a while though to.

Unfortunately I didn’t save this one. Just a jam session. One day I’d like to get serious about all this and try and put something out. Just don’t know how.

It’d also be cool to collaborate with someone. I know how to use all this gear but I feel others are more musical. Anyway, thanks man!!!

2 Likes

I thought the same thing about the size of the DJS and exchanged it for the SP. Sat down with the SP and was, “nah”. Turns out, the DJS was the one.

Not going to lie. These Pioneer boxes have been the most inspiring purchase I’ve made since I bought a MD several years ago…

Really easy to use. Good sound. You can go as deep or shallow as you feel like.

Now we know we old hahaha i laugh a lot with stylus RMX (spectrasonics old-school)

Nope it’s from Pioneer two :

I read it as RM1X! Bring on 1999!

I still sometimes slip and call my OT Octamed by accident :joy:

3 Likes

Well the Toraiz arrived a few hours ago, I had to update it to 1.4 as it was on 1.3, then for some reason some of the factory samples were not loadable due to wrong file type(?) WTF! Anyway I wasn’t intending on using them so no biggie but kind of odd, could not see anyway of deleting them though, weird.

Anyway loaded up some of my own samples and was certainly impressed with the sound, lots of headroom and a very nice tone, I reckon it must have a decent output stage, wasn’t instantly blown away by the DSI filter but I didn’t mess with it too much yet, had a quick listen to some of the fx and some of them sounded really nice the distortion/overdrive blew my mind, plenty of parameters gave it a massive range which I did not expect at all.

I was expecting it to be both a bit easier to use and not quite as well featured, but I only had about 2 hours with it so far. Could not seem to find out how to copy a step or pattern (didn’t RTFM yet) not even sure if it is possible, some of the UI seems a bit odd, like being able to assign user modes for touchstrip to parameters that may not even be relevant to the track, again though might be me not understanding it.

Love some of the sequencer functions like step offset, and the simple manner in which steps or bars can be moved back or forewards on the grid are great, parameter lock seems very simple.

One thing that Elektron spoils us with is the direct parametric control via sequence steps and parameter pages, but they could learn a trick from Pioneer about screen and graphics, it looks really nice and the visual representation of the LFO for example is superb. Definitely light on mod sources though, and it is daft that filter is considered an effect, however the bitcrusher has its own pre or post filter and it sounded pretty sweet too.

Reckon it will take me a little while to get my head around it, but so far it seems like a keeper.

Although it has also made me appreciate the Octatrack even more, I definitely do not see them as replacements for each other, although the SP-16 kills the OT on some things, on other things the OT wins.

3 Likes

Yes. Exactly. it’s an expensive combo but it’s a good one. Quite honestly if they make it right with the next firmware or the next after. I’ll bring back the SP16 in my setup.

i would like non-destructive internal mixing (at least 1 filter or EQ + FX1 Slot) and a bit more wave editing options.

2 Likes

One thing I did notice was that I couldn’t figure out how to play slices above slice 16 from the pads, is it possible?

1 Like

Oh above 16 slices you mean a sample chain from 32 slices for instance right ??

You create slice point in the EDIT mode and select on the sequencer which slice the trig will play if i remember well

Yes, possible from pads though?

1 Like

I think you just have to transpose from the screen
or
You create slice point in the EDIT mode and select on the sequencer which slice the trig will play if i remember well

(i don’t have it anymore so i can’t remember how i done from the pads… but on with sequencer and editor it’s easy…)

1 Like

@darenager Find it it’s like i said it’s transpose in the editor then you can access the range of 16 you set from the pads on 32 slices you’ll have to set you 16 range to access it but with p-locking on the sequencer you don’t have to bother with that…

2 Likes

Cheers buddy!

1 Like

You welcome :wink: i don’t know if they extend the number of slice higher to 64 regarding they extended the 32 seconds limit to 64 sec now… if not they should gives more slices !!! :slight_smile: