Pioneer DJS-1000

1 Like

Playable file: WAV、 AIFF (16 bit / 24 bit、 44.1 kHz)

So no MP3. Surely this will annoy alot of the people coming at this from a DJ > Live angle.

DJs still use MP3s in 2017?? Woulda thought wav/aiff/flac is standard in venues that are big ineough to invest into Pioneer gear anyways?

1 Like

320kps MP3 is still a thing yeah

Convert the MP3 to something playable…!?

This is designed more for mixing stems I think,“ableton live” in a box

This is interesting but like usual with pioneer, always overpriced. I may have missed it but the specs didn’t list how much memory was internal. It seems to be aimed more at the Dj scene. The sampling and sequencing look simple. I guess if you already work with other pioneer equipment this would be a must addition but it doesn’t have enough inputs and outputs to be functional for multiple other hardware unless going through a mixer. Just my thoughts. The concept is very nice, just not quite hitting the all the marks for a sampler. Should this be considered competition for Push and Machine?

It’s rather a competition for the traktor’s remix deck and stems.

1 Like

Easy get out the DSI filter and the price is low as 1000/1100 euro ! but Part of the excellent sound of the TORAIZ SP-16 is because of the DSI Filter in between :stuck_out_tongue:

so don’t be stupid ! BUY the SP-16 second hand trust me on that one :wink:
IF SP-16 firmware 1.4 bring the FX slot 2 on the table you will definitely not regret it !

Pioneer DJS-1000 : it’s CRAP crippled hardware from the TORAIZ price is easily justified as the DSI Filter is no longer in the story. Finally it’s cool to speaking about crippled hardware for those who are criticize Elektron that way … that’s just what’s PIONEER Did ! imagine those people who bought the Toraiz few month ago :confused:

1 Like

i think it has the same sample engine as toraiz - 32 seconds only and 256mb ram

As soon as this was announced, I thought to myself; I really need…

an mk2 OT!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

William did the toraiz sound punchy without the filter? Like a clean S1000 or S3200?

1 Like

@v00d00ppl

Of course there’s a matter of taste in sounding approach regarding quality. I think Filter is certainly one the most difficult sound synthesis part to understand I mean what’s a good filter and what’s not. When you start you need to hear few filters to know how it affect the sound the good way. That’s probably where’s the cliche lies like Moog Filter, Prophet, Oscar, Jupiter… filter where normally all producer know these characteristics because they are popular we identify it and we know it like in pop music or rock band because the Moog is very over used in this music genre.

Sorry for this introduction probably not necessary but I think to newbies and what not regarding what I said earlier. Now on the TORAIZ SP-16 the sound is pristine to me. very nice and clear converter 24bits A/D converter and D/A converter is 32bit, frequency response is very good human spectral 20hz to 20khz (a bit more than a used hear it’s more like a child clean born hear at this frequencies) and Outs are +16 dBu / 10 k:ohms

The TORAIZ SP-16 features two discrete voltage-controlled filters developed by Dave Smith Instruments: a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original 1970’s-era Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 filter, and a two-pole high-pass filter. “The Prophet filters add real analog warmth to the TORAIZ SP-16

Now that’s exactly whats we have the engineering is proper and that’s warmth really when you boost those filters in the master filter territory it’s DAMN good it’s like an OT in High Qualities through an Analog HEAT. Except it’s 16 Stereo Tracks. so it’s very tempting pros and cons where cons lies elsewhere and the TORAIZ SP-16 have as every gear it’s cons. So if Pioneer release a crippled hardware for DJS1000 for DJ where the TORAIZ SP-16 is more for producers (in fact it’s crippled TORAIZ SP-16 with a different form factor minus the DSI Filter so the price is what it is…)

And I advise people to wait for firmware 1.4 because the magic happens on the DSI filter for me otherwise people don’t care about the sound which is a shame for a producer to not be sensible on that subject i guess… or maybe it’s me :stuck_out_tongue: too old and do not understand what’s important for people and what not. hahaha

To reply nope Toraiz sound without the filter is clean sounding more like a MPC Live but with the Filter activated Damn it’s killed a lot of gear regarding PUNCH on a Master outputs but as I said it’s my opinion, my hears , my tastes.

2 Likes

Quality wise I would say it’s remembering me those OLD EMU sampler with the DSI filter not without of course. Clearly American sounding and not Asian so low ends is there and very good and pleasant BASS

without the filter I would say Roland, Yamaha, Octatrack not better not worst …

EPS or ASR too? I hear on GS it sounds like a modern ASR 10.

Do those filters color the sound even if not used?

All I know is the filter sound very good and sold DJS1000 without the filter is for me, keep some producer on the TORAIZ-SP16 for that part because they know what a filter is (normally)

At first, I felt the filters were gimmicky, but after briefing owning one, they sounded surprisingly great saturating the master… like sending the master through some transformers or something. I’ve been thinking of getting one again because that new ducker effect is so nice and convenient

5 Likes

I got to play with the DJS today and it is definatly big and heavy. I prefer the SP-16 above this one. Also the screen above is not really something to ‘produce’ on. The djs is for sure aiming for the DJ market. As for the SP-16 is also a sampler for in the studio. I like the filters on the sp-16 and That is what I surely miss on the djs. I hope they update the sp-16 quick with most of the stuff that is allready on the djs.

1 Like

I do have to say that the Toraiz SP-16 does sound incredible.

I see this new unit also has live looping. Fingers crossed that this will be part of the new (1.4) update for the Toraiz. That is if we ever get it. :unamused:

1 Like