Pioneer DJS-1000

Can confirm the ducker is great. I bus all my synths into it and the ducker + dsi filter really makes for a polished sound. Great sampler. I’m as frustrated as most other users regarding pioneers business tactics and dead silence regarding updates to the gear, but in the end the unit sounds way too good for me to let go of it.

Would be nice to see it compared against the new OT, but I suspect the toraiz is still the most hi-fi sampler on the market.

3 Likes

Indeed. The toraiz FB page is a feisty place!
Sp16 is great and the frustration people show is really based around how almost great it is, and little faith that pioneer will do the right thing. I learned it in ten minutes and look forward to using it. OT 2 is just a different kettle of snakes, but I enjoy the sense that I have discovered a new musical universe. I look forward to pairing them in a killer c3p0 r2d2 combo:

Is the ducker effect a compressor? Is it basically an SSL 4000 w/ sidechain?

What does the live sample feature mean? Is it a through track ? It will be available in 1.4 firmware, as i have a lot of fun with NI Maschine, the toraiz might be interesting standalone. I read it has inline FX already. Probably not as versatile as the scenes on the Octatrack, but the operation might be better for live usage?

2 Likes

From what I can tell on my SP-16, the ducker is not triggered by audio but rather by MIDI notes.

1 Like

But you can set half trigs to activate the sucker then?

Technically the usage orientation of the Octatrack is very different from the Toraiz. If you need the Octatrack to mangle long evolving textures, for me there’s no workaround to achieve this on the Toraiz.

==> the Toraiz offer to me a real middle High Quality Definition in the center of a live setup with like let’s say a Rytm MK2 and a Four MK2 because of it’s 16 Stereo Part with it’s Master Filter… You can cut just what you want to free the spectrum for the RYTM and the FOUR very easily … Also if you have an external mixer the TORAIZ offer so much Outputs you can really Mixing as well : Comfortable …

But sadly the Toraiz do not offer this extreme sample manipulation and long audio file as the OT so if you need that you need the TORAIZ + OT that’s simple.

But it’s not a problem a part of financially, you can deal with 4 gears in LIVE… you just need to be very well organized

Seems like Pioneer will bring not FX2 second slot but Performance FX in addition with another Reverb algorithm if we take in consideration Toraiz SP-16 and DJS 1000 are compatible… they probably make the OS hybrid between those two and bring the exact same tools. As the DJS1000 have more tools they probably working to harmonized both OS with this Performance FX offered by the DJS1000.

FX1 (already in Toraiz SP16) :
FX1

FX2 renamed Performance FX :
Performance FX

1 Like

The DJS is like a little (big) jam box

My video skills aren’t good. But I made a soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-0104-djs1000-jam1

2 Likes

Posted on Gearslutz to

I gotta say. The DJS1000 is super fun. It’d be nice if there was an arranger and a way to “macro” your favorite effects. The touch strip can do USER MODES, which is great, but you have to hit a specific pad to engage it. I’d rather just turn a knob independent of a pad. Oh well. I’m totally jamming making music that’ll surely get a least 1 like, maybe 2 :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-0104-djs1000-jam2

1 Like

Hopefully I’ll get better at using the DJS, but it sure is fun! Really easy to throw some stuff together and jam.

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-0107-djs1000-jam3

2 Likes

Those sure are fun jams.

Thanks t! The DJS is super easy to use and get ideas down.

Last one. I promise :wink: It’s really hard NOT to make stuff with these things

https://m.soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-0108-djs-sample

1 Like

No, please keep them coming. It’s clear you’re having fun and the results are putting a smile on this Elektronaut’s face.

2 Likes

Just wondering why did you go for the DJS-1000 over the toraiz? Guess you have the Pioneer CDJ to go with it?

Honestly, I went with the DJS 1000 because of DJ Frankie Bones’ Instagram LOL! And he’s right. In my opinion, it’s been a game changer. BUT.

I am exchanging it for the Toraiz. I love love love the DJS, but it’s ergonomically not the best for studio use. It’s “kind of” of a challenge to sit down with it. You have to stand up or sit on a bar stool, which I have. I just hope I don’t lose my flow with the Toraiz…

Small rant: Elektrons would be this cool to me if they’d allow you to some how lock the pattern select mode. That Bank + Pattern kills me. Don’t know why. Just does.

In the meantime, here’s how the DJS is sitting

2 Likes

Thanks man! Just little jams. Maybe someone will want to collaborate and they’ll become actual tracks

I’ve been playing Frankie’s records since I started DJing in ‘97 and following him since ‘93 when I went to my first rave. Call me a sucker, but if it works for him, it’ll work for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was (am) a big fan of Bones, Heart and Adam X. My brother bought me back a Sonic Groove Tshirt from a visit to the store and 20 years on it’s still a prize possession. Might need to take a trip down memory lane with some records later now you’ve brought them to mind :smiley:

Also on GS

Now with the SP-16. The DJS does mutes per pattern but has no sends or master fx. The flow is better with the DJS. But the SP sounds a little better with that drive and filters. Ugh.

One has to go back.

https://m.soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-sp16-trialrun

I started this with the SP-16

2 Likes