"Pinging" Filter while self-oscillating

thanks, gave this a try and found that it only really works with filter 2, not filter 1. filter 1 just won’t ring when pinged - it either self oscillates or nothing. filter 2 works great though.
straying from your suggestions slightly, i’ve set it up with unison so tracks 1 & 2 play together - short noise burst on track 1 into neighbour on track 2 (whose amp is set to inf.release)

3 Likes

I’m having a hard time getting this to work. I’ve never used the neighbor tracks before so please forgive these basic questions:
So I’ve got noise on track 1… I can hear that trough the filters of track 2 (osc 2 = NEI)
If I set the amp env of osc 2 to inf I just hear the noise droning through. How would I get a “short burst” without using trigs on track 1 (which are then audible through the filters of track 1)?

Clearly I need to experiment more. I had the thought that using a CV trig going into the audio input could work to ping/excite the filter, “but that sounds dangerous,” was my next thought.
Then I saw this & maybe it’s something?
Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&catid=9&id=213870#213870

I’ve put more time in to this. Thank you everyone who responded to the thread, it’s helped me understand the possibilities of the filter. This is Filter 2 on Track 2 getting noise from Track 1. Envelopes are triggering the Resonance.

Wow. Nasty!

I made this a while back in an effort to cure my gear lust for the moog subharmonicon.

The basic idea was to use the oscillators as rythm sequencers, which forced me to ping the filters as my sound sources.

Tune your oscillator waaaay down, and use very narrow pulse width, and enable oscillator reset.
Set the filter resonance up to just below self oscillation.
Playing a trig will now trigger a narrow pulse that will ping the filter!

All the sound in the video is the analog four filters pinged by pitched down oscillators, with a little noise mixed in. The rythms are from the oscillators themselves.

9 Likes

Litlle bit of sidestepping here, sorry for that… But I feel like filter 1 doesn’t go as deep as I remember it going a while back on my unit. With full resonance it won’t drop pitch any more below a cutoff of 29, reaching down to 86,7 hZ (F1-10cents). Curious to hear how other peoples units behave… thanks in advance!