"Pinging" Filter while self-oscillating

I’ve been inspired by this video by Sonicstate to try to do something similar with the filters on the A4 (I’m using an A4 mk1).

It seems parameter locks are the best bet.
Any advice?
I understand how to get Filter 1 to self-oscillate & key track… The limit of 2 LFOs & 4 destinations leads me to P-locks as thee best way to get close to the sounds these eurorack filters make in the vid.

2 Likes

Give it a try, but it could be that it will not work as in the video, because the filters of the A4/AK are definitely no “vactrol-based low pass gates”, which have been “pinged” in this video (like this Borg-Filter).

The “west-coast” low pass gates are well known, to react like this. A famous patch making use of this is the “Buchla-bongo”, where a FM modulated VCO sound is send through a low pass gate, which is “striked” by a short impulse to the vactrol inside. Some low pass gates even have a particular input for this. AFAIK the vactrol does the most of the magic.

Nevertheless … “pinging” or “FM-modulating” resonant analogue filters often generates great sounds :wink:

3 Likes

I did a calibration because my Filter 1 was out out of tune. Better after. An exponential one shot lfo on resonance is efficient.

A bit different from the video. 100% A4 at 25sec

Trying to recreate resonant sounds ala Daniel Avery

3 Likes

This was my 1st go. Just 1 track of Filter 1, Self-Oscillating (Osc 1 & 2 are bypassed). Sending LFO 1 to Filt Freq, P-locking a few trigs at different rates. The Filt & Amp Envelopes make a big difference on the sound. I like the results but I think the digital LFOs & Env on the A4 keep it in a from going 100% wild like the Sonicstate vid. I’m going to keep trying but I’ve been considering investing in some Eurorack Filter anyway. There’s so much variety

1 Like

I can’t play your file…

1 Like

It’s a Dropbox link I guess it won’t embed :confused:

Are you using the noise to ping the filters? you don’t want the filters to fully self resonate I don’t think you are more so looking for a space where the resonance picks up the short burst of noise and then tuning the filters around the depth of the FM should be pretty shallow too on the filters. the envelopes on the filters should probably the ones that look like a curved upside down V. Here is a quick sample I threw together on my A4mk1

keep in mind I was pretty much inputting random notes and twisting the filters and resonance a bit haphazardly, it is definately harder to control than the filters you demo though because a fully self resonant filter tends to be a bit more dangerous and I dont think you can set something like the resonance to have inverse keyboardtracking.

4 Likes

I would recommend to check out lowpass gates as well, maybe even the Borg Filter.

Analogue circuits have very different behaviour, which is caused by use of different components and circuit designs. IMO a classical “east-coast” filter should not be expected to sound like a “west-coast” lowpass gate.

1 Like

Here’s another example… Slightly more successful imo. I think that keeping the Amp Env very short (fast attack, short decay, no sustain/release) helps emulate the “Ping”. There’s a bit of delay on a few steps but otherwise just Filter 1

3 Likes

I haven’t been using noise but I’ll give it a try :+1:

I’m not sure to understand precisely what’s pinging (I’m french).
Make me want to try this again. I plan to use a track with soundlocks > neighbor track.

To properly ping a filter on the A4:

• Set up a neighbor track on track 2.
  • Program a step on the neighbor track to hold the vca open infinitely, this way the vca does not contribute to the ping dynamics.
  • Set the neighbor track’s filter resonance on the edge of self oscillation.
  • Now use track 1 to send a burst of noise through the neighbor.
  • Experiment with what you use to excite the filter of the neighbor track from track 1, this can be slow oscillator clicks, noise bursts from a tight envelope, or anything that generates a click or short burst of frequency content.
4 Likes

I’m just using a trig as a “ping”
Filter 1 -
Cutoff Freq = 22
Res = 111
Trk = 30
Env = +12 (or more)

LFO 1 - to Filt1 Cutoff Freq
Speed = 27
Multiplier = 512
Shape = Exponential
Depth = 36

LFO 2 is modulating the depth & speed of LFO 1 but slower.

Keep the Amp Env very short & play with the Filter Env.

With the tracking on Filter 1, low note trigs will “play” the filter cutoff low, high note trigs will “open” the cutoff.

2 Likes

Ah…
Thank You :+1:

Ah maybe that’s the right “ping” synonym?

Yeah, most people mean ‘exciting a filter on the edge of self oscillation’ when they speak of pinging. Many eurorack filters even have a ping input which accepts a gate/trigger and handles sending the noise burst through the filter.

The term is not standard and could easily mean sending a short envelope to the resonance or frequency of the filter. These can have similar yet different effects on the sound produced depending on the topology of the filter.

2 Likes

hainbach gives a nice explenation of pinging in this video at 5:00

3 Likes

The best explanation is at 5m08s! :wine_glass:
Cheers!

In the A4 Manual is a decription how to setup the A4 as a 4 track Filterbank…what If the pingings continue from track to track?

1 Like

8 filters pinged ! :champagne:

2 Likes