Pickup Erase? + Reset PUM?

:frowning_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::smiley:

3 Likes

O_o how’d you do that to your eyes…!?

1 Like

And I’m a forum geek that’s addicted to answering OT questions, it’s kinda a hobby like doing crossword puzzles or something for me. Reading the other recent posts is like reading the morning newspaper… Haha… :rofl:

4 Likes

Something I just thought of is using qpl setting at plen, shorter qrec, and then have multiple patterns with different master pattern lengths (still 64, 128, 256, etc.) to switch to and then only need to initiate record…

Could you please elaborate? Is that with the sequencer running? With the sequencer running, I find that Qpl doesn’t have any effect during or after recording. Unless you hit play with the PUM track stopped. Maybe we have a difficulty to understand each other here because MkI vs MkII. Going “straight to playback” on MkII in quick-record mode and One2 mode == hit Rec2 button (or send note#64 over midi) And that does exacly what we were talking about during this whole thread regarding quantization and Qpl doesn’t have any effect there: it just quantizes the play start but not the recording lenght. At least that’s what I experience…

That is not a bad idea at all… :slight_smile: I can implement this on my MFC10 I think, I need to check the midi implementation.

Well, my OTs been in storage most the year and not with me now to test things, but I recall that the qrec parameter would quantize record start when pressing rec1 and also quantize record length when pressing rec1 again to enter overdub. Qpl would affect quantize record length when recording is happening and you press rec2 to go to playback, or like you say quantize the start a stopped pickup.

That’s what I remember and also when I had my studio set up last I would always verify things right before posting, I checked and I have posted that multiple times during that timeframe. I have no idea why I would just make that up and post it, that’s not something I would do…

But yeah, MKI OS 1.25H, not in quick record…
PS I don’t see how quick record affects pickups as you just press one button for record/play anyway…

Ok, I just checked again and again, in both One and One2 mode, going from rec into play, and from rec into overdub, and Qpl has absolutely no effect on the recording lenght.

The manual says:

QPL makes it possible to quantize manual trigging of the recorder buffers and Pickup machines. Manual trigging is done by for example pressing [TRACK] + [PLAY] or the last eight [TRIG] keys. This parameter has no effect on track recorders trigged by the sequencer. This parameter is a reflection of the QUANTIZED TRIG setting available in the ATTRIBUTES menu found in the audio editor. If the QPLparameter is changed, QUANTIZED TRIG will thus be changed as well, which can be seen when the recorder buffer of the track recorder is opened in the audio editor.

and whenever QPL is referenced in other chapters, it’s always explained as a way to quantize manual triggering. (Set it to 4 and trigger the recording buffer, it’ll play on the next beat, set it to 64 it’ll play on the next pattern turnaround).

So I’m afraid that’s just how it is… I would have liked your version though !

Weird… Thinking about it more I do remember being confused about the behavior I experienced and testing it, verifying it, and then posting it in the past, behaved as expected for flex. Maybe there’s some other settings involved or they fixed it with the new OS… :thinking:

It seems I also reported this on the forum as a possible bug. Maybe there was some weirdness fixed in OS… Seems kinda related, unexpected C/D(rec2) behavior anyway…

Edit: It’s deffinately related otherwise qrec would apply… Looking through my posts I’m positive this is how my OT behaves…

I’m cooking dinner but will check afterwards

At this point I’m pretty positive with the settings, hardware, and OS I’m on, it behaves that way. Yours may not. I’ll test again for sanity when I get my OT back…

I don’t care what the manual says about “len”, when it comes to weird behaviors the manual sometimes doesn’t matter if something is not behaving like it says. If your going to try, try with len off, qrec shorter, qpl longer, quick record off, one2mode, sequencer running, because those are my settings… on a new project would be best…

If it behaves different for you, well, mine behaves differently for one reason or another… :slight_smile:

I have not mentioned “len” , were discussed QPL… and my OT does exactly what the manual says, so that suits me.

And I wouldn’t use the erase function as it might reset qpl, in case they fixed it only for qpl 0. I’m starting to think the behavior was changed in MK2 OS…

Mine doesn’t… Just sayin…

1 Like

I don’t care if you test it or not, but if you do you might as well use the same settings.
It’s all good man, no worries… Seriously I’m not upset or have any bad vibes toward you in this moment…

1 Like

Wow, you’re convoluting… I discuss in a linear fashion, what I say has a context.

And they are mine too. Except quick record off because that’s only enabling shortcuts. So we’re talking about the same set-up allright. I don’t use the erase function when testing the stuff we’re discussing, but I clear the slot and check all relevant settings at each pass.

Sorry to hear you don’t care. I thought it would be interesting. I’ll keep that tuff for myself then. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Man… I’m super friendly… I just meant I don’t want you to go out of your way to do something, that’s all…

Regarding len it has odd behaviors on my unit, yes, mostly regarding slaves, they start from the middle of the loop upon playback. It’s just that since I’m talking about buggy behavior, even if the parameter seemingly has nothing to do with it, it is connected to PU’s, so just in case to be specific I’d set it to off.

The last time I mentioned it, you told me it has nothing to do with it, it very likely might not, but if your going to be thorough I didn’t want you to assume it works as expected… It’s related to the discussion and troubleshooting in my mind…

Again I wish you the best, appreciate your input, and if you want to test that would be great!

Maybe our brains just work different so we misinterpret each other, and also just reading text is weird because there’s no facial expression or voice inflection…

I would like to not be at odds with you and just be friendly to each other, really…

1 Like

FWIW, and this is a bit off topic, I have played with PUMs for a very brief time, and I noticed all sorts of unexpected behaviours - like for example, where there were two PUMs on two tracks, one PUM was both master and slave, and the other was slave. All I had done was play with PUMs on tracks for a while. Some of the weird behaviours are just weird rounding and so on; some are definitely bugs.

@pinup57, I really appreciate the testing you’re doing and the results you’ve posted so far.

Oops pressed Submit too fast! I also wanted to say:

It’s worth keeping in mind, in my humble opinion, that the octatrack OS is very idiosyncratic, and that it’s well worth listening to the stories of long time and experienced users and taking them as they’re offered. There are many variables at play.