Pickup Erase? + Reset PUM?

Looks like the Mk2 has a new ‘erase’ function, which seems to be, at least at a glance, linked to the pickup machine controls. I haven’t seen discussion on this anywhere else, so…
-Do you think this is an indication of an update to pickup machines?
-If yes, do you think Mk1 will benefit from that update somehow?
-How do you think it works?

I imagine it’s a shortcut to clear the recording buffer of the selected track…

On mk1 you have to press [function]+[audio rec] to enter record setup, and then [function]+[play] to clear.

I bet this does the same just by pressing [function]+[erase]…

As track recorders are there own entity, I would assume it doesn’t specifically involve pickups or flex, as you can have a recorder going that is not being played by a pickup or flex, I assume this will still erase the buffer…

3 Likes

It’d be cool if I’m wrong and it can remove overdub layers from pickups… :wink:

Makes sense!

1 Like

I works other modes too. You don’t have to be in grid recording. :wink:
With Flex, you can also double clic on track button > Fn + Play.

2 Likes

Hi, I’d like to find a quick and easy way to fully reset Pick-up machines when they mess up (when I mess it up, to be fair). I have quick recording mode on so I can easily erase the last recording, but when it’s the first recording it’ll retain the master state and the lenght unless I go into the AED and clear the slot in the file menu.

Is there a hidden (or not so hidden) shortcut for this?

Thanks!

I just stop the PU, and hit PU record again, in one2mode and while the sequencer is going…
Maybe you need to make sure the PU len parameter is off? Can’t test specifics but I’ve done it…
I always use rlen max for PU’s, maybe that’s a factor, do you need to reset rlen?

That’s what I do. BTW, a moderator has merged this into another 2-years old topic that deals with “erase”. This is not an “erase” issue. I know how that works, and use it all the time. “Erase” is not “Clear Slot”. When you erase, you just clear the recording buffer. But the lenght that has been set, and the master/slave status is NOT affected by “erase”. So the next recording will have the lenght of the recording you just discarded. At least, that’s what I was struggling with this morning.

2 Likes

Hmmm… MK1 doesnt even have erase. Absolutely positive I just stop the PU from playback with the current recording intact, hit record again, and it allows me to record again and redefine the loop length, done it hundreds of times…

2 Likes

Yes but as far as I know, if the buffer is being read by a flex machine the “play head” is likely to be ahead of the “record head” so you will still hear the wrong recording until the playhead loops. So I use quick erase (on MkII) as an emergency solution to stop all the audio that has this recording buffer as a source at once (With “quick record” on hit REC3 button and confirm).

I’ll check again for the recording lenght.

So I checked and confirm that this doesn’t work out well here. I record a 256 beat loop. I stop the recording (and erase or not, doesn’t matter). The display now shows …\256. I do a new recording, and stop anywhere before or after 256 beats. With my settings (Rlen=max, Qrec= Plen, Qpl= Plen, scale mode=normal, pattern scale 64/64) the recording stops and loops to play as expected at the end of the current 4 bar pattern loop, but then the OT changes tempo because it still thinks this was a 256 beat recording though it wasn’t, resulting in total chaos. To get rid of that 256 beat reference I need to do “Clear Slot” in the AED.

That doesn’t happen over here. When I stop the PU after say a 64 step recording the counter shows 000/064. When I hit record again the counter starts at 000/000 and I can make any length recording and it won’t change the bpm, although I should mention my recordings are always 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 steps. I’ll also note that I always have at least one flex playing a start point remix of the same buffer…

Do you use the len parameter on PU main? I have it set to off for all PU’s.
My hunch is “Len” parameter…

I never have to clear the buffer and I’ve never needed to “clear slot” to reset a PU length in 4+ years of looping… :thinking:

I doubt it’s an OS thing but I am on MK1 OS 1.25H…

Everything works as expected if I hit stop recording (rec2) during the last bar of a multiple of 64 (…64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024). If I hit rec2 (stop recording and play) in any other bar before, it’ll stop and loop at the end of that bar, but it will calculate the tempo as if I had recorded as long as the next multiple of 16. Resulting in a tempo jump.

I checked with and without scale per pattern. Maybe it’s just normal behaviour…

1 Like

:confused::smiley:

2 Likes

This was imprecise: here’s my reproductible sequence:

1 start with cleared PU
2 Check settings: Rlen=max, Qrec= Plen, Qpl= Plen, scale mode=normal, pattern scale 64/64, len=off, dynamic recorders enabled, plenty of free memory available
3 start sequencer, hit rec1 to start recording, hit rec2 to stop recording and start play at 64 beats. All is fine.
4 stop sequencer, erase recording.
5 start sequencer, hit rec1 to start recording, hit rec2 just beyond 64 beats to stop recording and start play at 128 beats. All is fine.
6 stop sequencer, erase recording.
7 start sequencer, hit rec1 to start recording, hit rec2 just beyond 128 beats to stop recording and start play at 256 beats.
8 recording will stop and go into play mode at beat 192, tempo jumps from 111 to 148
9 check settings: Qpl has automatically reset from Plen to off
10 EDIT: If in step 7 I wait to hit rec2 until after beat 192, it’ll go to 256 as expected and loops OK

I have no clue… :frowning:

What’s your master pattern length? If 64 it makes sense with q settings at plen, if 128 it doesn’t…

I wouldn’t bother erasing the recording unless you need to to cut your PU + flex like you said as an emergency tactic, but maybe you could just have a scene handy to mute them or something? That might be what resets qpl, I don’t know…

PUs will change the tempo in unexpected ways if not (can’t think of the correct mathematical term) but like I said, a series such as 64, 128, 256, 512, etc… Haven’t found a way around that so I’d use flex for weird divisions…

Welcome to PU bugs/unexpected weirdness… Flex works when PUs don’t… At least there’s another option…

When scale mode = normal you can’t set a master pattern lenght, can you? That wouldn’t make sens…

1 Like

Oh yeah… So you would have to press after 192 to get 256…