Photography geeks, gather round!

I lost interest about 20 years ago, but here I am still swinging a camera. I never really realised how useless a career as a photographer was till all the restrictions started.

Anybody use iPad for Lightroom and/or photoshop? It looked pretty smooth on the videos I saw on YouTube.

1 Like

Look away! LOOK AWAY!

2 Likes

Memory erased😵‍💫

1 Like

Here’s some of my photography. I like to shoot street corners in industrial estates at night using traditional architectural methods (tilt shift lenses). I also shoot lots of film using various cameras and print at home in a darkroom converted from the laundry room. More here: Rob Padley Photography

28 Likes

Digital and Film

8 Likes

Really nice stuff here. Can I ask, has anyone ordered a print-on-demand photography book of reasonably high quality?

Looking for a recommendation in Europe or even the US to create a keepsake for family.

Blurb do good quality - you can edit it all in Illustrator as well as their own software…

1 Like

photos

2 Likes

My grandfather died of it.
I have already visited some too but it is always striking to imagine
that it was/is the daily life of certain human beings.
Beautiful pictures.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that - they can be unpleasant places - the ones near us have a really low seam compared to other places in the UK. Caves are far safer and more pleasant :-). (Thanks for the kind words!)

1 Like

In the case of my grandfather it was not a mine accident,
but through the lungs, a kind of involuntary theft of coal.

2 Likes

Ah, yeah - silicosis is pretty horrible :frowning:

1 Like

I have to say - I really love your photos and they are the sort of photos I’d love to take one day - I can appreciate how much work went into getting them that day (and how many other unfruitful days there must have been - and manual focus and manual exposure is definitely still really important!)

19 Likes

Nice geometric shapes and lovely lighting!

1 Like

And thank you to the brave/nuts who take care
to make it shine for those who benefit from it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. These animals are kind of forgiving to photograph as they don’t run away when you find them. But some care and common sense is important as they can attack you if they feel provoked. I’ve seen people on YouTube spending days just finding the musk ox, but I’ve been up there five times and found them pretty fast every time. The first time was hard because of the extreme conditions, but also the most rewarding. :slight_smile:

I have some autofocus lenses now but still really like those old manual focus lenses. I don’t have to think about autofocus points and stuff like that. And with the ibis on the Sony cameras I get stabilization on those too. Really helpful on longer lenses.

The photos are great ! I think bad conditions often make the best photos - most of my favourite landscapes have been taken in rain or very low light! I’ve never had great success with animal shots though!
I quite often switch off the autofocus - especially on long lenses, bad weather or with tripod shots - it can make life a lot easier! (I’ve got a gimbal mount for my longest lenses and often only use manual focus on them….)

1 Like

I don’t personally like the idea of dealing with super hi-res images. Anything much higher than 20 megapickles is overkill for me.

I had an M9 setup for a while, but I didn’t really love it. I got some nice images, but the clunky shutter really made it feel very different from other film M’s I’d tried. It wasn’t until the m10 that they really got the digital RFs up to the same standard as their film bodies.

All these mirrorless systems, and it still seems like none of the major companies really get it. It’s either huge, fast aperture lenses with pro build and sharpness, or cheap slower lenses.

I’d love some weather sealed, compact f2 or f1.8 primes with really good optics, that are small enough to take advantage of the more compact body designs.

I pretty much only use my x100v these days. I’ve gotten lazy.