Photography geeks, gather round!

Yeah I was really surprised ! A year or so ago, I was looking for scanners as a friend was asking which one to get. I was a bit shocked - there just aren’t any decent ones available for the hobbyist any more! I also looked up prices and mine is now selling used for more than I paid for it over 20 years ago ! Crazy !

1 Like

My Dad was really big into photography when he was in the Marine Corps. He gave me this camera a while back and it is in beautiful condition. He bought in while in the Military during the late 60s.

I mess around with my Cannon T5i, pretending like I know what I’m doing (I do not), but I am very amateur and know next to nothing about cameras. Anyone know anything about this camera?

5 Likes

Hah. You know the struggle! :slight_smile:

I like the process of shooting film. It slows me down so much and really allows me to think through the image and composition. That has translated to digital, but I find film to be much more meditative, which is a big reason I head out there anyway.

There’s definitely a Christmas present-like feeling when you get your film back after a while. Another great benefit of film…

1 Like

I think that learning to use a tripod was the most valuable thing from shooting film…. that slows you down and makes you think…

1 Like

Glad to hear there are also photography enthusiasts here.
I have been a hobby photographer for over 30 years.
15 years ago my hobby peaked and turned into a day job. I ran a large commercial photography studio for two years before burning out, losing all interest in photography altogether and deleting all of my work from social media.
About 5 years ago I picked up my camera again and started doing ONLY the work I enjoy doing, which is landscapes and cityscapes. I’ve also quit trying to please the social media gods by regularly posting my work. I mosty keep it to myself.
That being said, I do have a small collection of my favourite pictures online here:
https://500px.com/p/TomRobbrecht/galleries/my-work

5 Likes

Totally agree! I only enjoy photography when I am doing it only for me and if I am the only one who will judge it! I do provide some images for books or magazines if asked but then I ask for the fee to be donated to cave rescue so that I don’t feel any pressure from cash…. so I totally get where you are coming from :slight_smile: (and I don’t post them on blogs or any online media - I’ve had photos used commercially without permission too…)

2 Likes

For certain kinds of photography, a tripod is indispensable.

That said, I’ve come to realize, that for most of the photography I do, being free to move and be fluid is essential. I need to be able to respond to my subject and make small changes to my camera position in the moment.

Horses for courses I suppose. You’re not going to get a nice photo of the Milky Way without a tripod, that’s for sure.

1 Like

An anecdote:
Some years ago I was browsing a local newspaper when I spotted one of my snapshots (my two young daughters hand in hand at the beach) being used in an advertisment for a real estate project.
I wrote a letter to the CEO explaining that their marketing dep. was infringing upon my copyright by using the image. I enclosed an invoice giving them the right to use the picture for a pretty decent fee.
They paid it no questions asked.
Best snapshot ever :wink:

3 Likes

That’s really nice !
I’ve seen my photos in books and used as advertising without permission or accreditation :frowning:
(They’ve made donations to cave rescue when I have got in touch with them…)

1 Like

I totally agree - defintely - for me personally I’ve only very rarely taken an acceptable photo when I havent used a tripod - I think I am just a bit crap at photography and need to slow down and compose slowly and methodically in order to get anything vaguely acceptable ! But I have friends who are just the opposite… for some of my photos, my tripods can cost far more than the camera and lens as it can often make much more of a difference (for me) and having an ultralight stable tripod (for where I want to use them - ie mountains and caves) is not the cheapest thing !

Funny you should mention the Milky Way (I’ve been getting into deep space object astrophotography :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Those are some spectacular images.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

I finally got my photography GAS under control with my last big purchase being a Canon 5Dm3. Never saw a need to upgrade after that. One thing I do want is something that many YouTubbers are dogging on, the Canon PowerShot Zoom. They keep saying “who is this for?” Well, I can tell them. It is for me and other amature birders that need something to zoom in on the birds, take a quick picture for identification, and don’t need quality. I really want one of these, and they are cheap.

The only other thing I have been interested in is that Nikon point and shoot with the big zoom that people are using to take pictures of Saturn. But, that thing is $1000. It is much easier to justify $250 for a birding accessory.

1 Like

Well, I ordered my Canon PowerShot Zoom. I’m excited to start birding with it. I especially like the price to use ratio that I plan to get with it.

2 Likes

Was just scanning a bunch of polaroids from the last month and thought I’d share my favorites of the batch.

9 Likes

Oh ive been bitten by the photography bug after a 5 year hiatus with the new Leica M11. I know i know its ridiculous at £6k. Then theres the Summilux im eying at £3500.£9500 in total to walk the streets again. Absolutely bonkers🥳

2 Likes

Why not try and find an M10(P/R)?

What is it about the M11 that is pulling you in?

Is it the extra resolution that you’re after?

They do make some damn fine gear. Still unparalleled. The M system is so compact and well made. The 50 Summilux is pretty special.

1 Like

Sony a7s mkii with a Zeiss 50mm 1.4
Need an extra wide lens.

5 Likes

The 50mm Summilux and be done.

I know an M10 would suffice. But that extra resolution is going to push that Summilux all the way. I like that. Plus a much bigger battery think about 64percent increase. Small points in the real world but Leica has always been about the details.

1 Like