Petition: Implement Scenes for midi tracks

Lucky me, I never use the Pickup machines so I don’t have to care about remaining bugs. So here’s my plus one for Midi scenes (which I know will never happen).

1 Like

Speaking of the workaround for absent MIDI Scenes… I thought maybe Bitstream can do this? I put my question here: Can CME Bitstream 3X receive MIDI CC#s? (as a replacement for the absent "MIDI scenes" of the Octatrack)

NI Maschine will release a new Software version soon 2.6 which can do MIDI scenes - it gets a new mode where you can setup MIDI macro controls. The midi macros then get “lock” states - which is then morphable i.e 64 scenes, betwen you then can morph while setting a time i.e up to 16 bars untill all your macros are at their new locked values , it will also work with VST macros. So you can sequence from Maschine, and then morph between different sound settings. Per midi channel up to 127 CC configurable - you could also morph on multiple channels at the same time. Also multiple midi ports on multiple channels. It should already been released , but its still on beta status. (I´am in the beta program.) Users already creating templates for different Synthesizers. So far its beeing stable.

If you consider the availability of the Bitstream device and its price, you get a nice sequncer, midi scene + drum synth, VST´s of Native Instruments bundle software for a fair price. Also the 2nd hand market is not too bad for NI Maschine.
You get also the full version of NI Maschine if you get their new controller NI Maschine Jam. Which can be used as standard Midi Controller aswell, with the midi faders it can be used as midi mixer to control levels on the RYTM (instead using a novation Remote XL.

In the video you see that you could control the macros of NI VST with the faders on the hardware, if you press the lock , you could also set midi CC with the faders. On the pad grid you could then create 64 scenes where you switch between different parameter lock settings. With 2.6 this will work with midi CC in addition.

I tested 5 different parameters at the same time, i think there is a limit for din midi for messages, but i wil try soon with more paramets at the same time.

Sampling an 909 :slight_smile:

+1
I also thought that midi track parameters would be scene-assignable. when i first saw the scene/crossfader concept it seemed so natural that i just started mapping synth controls like crazy… it kinda sucks now to find out my setup is garbage.

Concerning midi oveflow: somebody made a good point about 3 LFOs modulating parameters simultaneuosly…
there is definately room for SOME scene morph assignments…
maybe if you sacrifice a midi track you could make 6 parameters available for scene assignment…?

It is really the ONE thing that this damn feature monster doesnt have…
-_-

+1 +1 +1 :slight_smile:

Up to 16 CC controlled with crossfader and this :

Wasn’t the justification behind not implementing this that it would be really, really easy to generate so much MIDI data that it completely choked your system? MIDI has really, really low bandwidth and even a few dozen simultaneous notes passed to a single physical MIDI port is enough to start causing problems, much less the amount of CC data you would be generating if you could assign controller values to scenes.

I would love to see some of the things that don’t generate MIDI data be assignable to scenes though, stuff like the ARP parameters and the default MIDI note for a track. That would be fantastic. Being able to use scenes to transpose multiple ARPs or change the default notes of a few tracks at once to create chord changes - that stuff would be huge and wouldn’t be affected by the limitations of MIDI.

3 Likes

About time midi was updated so things like this can happen.
Defo be next level OT.

I thought about that too, but with 24 midi lfos + plock at each step on all CC, it can be messy too !
That would be great, for sure. Upgrade with a warning : don’t use too much CC, it’s bad for your health.

Someone on the mutable instruments forums was making what is essentially a DIY souped up version of the OT midi sequencer. They actually implemented midi scenes and I think I recall them saying that the midi traffic was extremely heavy, even though they had 4 midi ports to distribute the load.

2 Likes

BTW It should be possible to map CC48 to other CCs with Mutable Instruments Midipal/Midibud.

Yeah, I think it would be more than enough to just have scenes for MIDI note, LFO and ARP parameters, so many possibilities with that alone.

I’m still meaning to check what happens when you try to send 24 midi lfo’s at high rate + tracks and arps, you might already be able to choke it. :thinking:

Let me hear the result, must be beautiful. :smile:

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks the OT owners should be happy now that TRCs are here, and let the hopes for further updates go to sleep? I’m really hoping that Elektron will let the OTs rest now and start focusing on the Octatrack DPS 2 :unicorn:

I sure hope so :wink:

Still things to improve in DPS1. They just released MKII. I think they will focus on DT/AH format machines first. DPS2 won’t come soon.

I’ve only had my Octatrack for around a month, and I’m still working out how best to use it. However, I moved on to having it control my Machinedrum and Analog Four last week which was interesting. Imagine my suprise when I discovered scenes couldn’t include changes to midi data!
At first, I even thought that the MKII may have a bug; I thought there is no way Elektron wouldn’t have thought about allowing you to do this. But then I read all the historical posts about this restriction.

I guess there must be some technical restriction, perhaps along the lines of the things suggested before. Seeing how these boxes typically encourage experimentation, surely Elektron would’ve implemented this if it was possible to do so.

What would be handy is a response from Elektron in relation to this requested feature; from my searches I couldn’t find anything official.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I think it’s more dreaming than hoping.

Also there is literally no chance that I would ever own a DPSII if it came out so why would I prefer they abandon work on what I have in favor of something I don’t have? I doubt I’m alone in this, the Octatrack (especially MKII) is very expensive and even one of them is out of the reach of most people, much less buying a new version every time one comes out. One of the reasons that Elektron’s track record of actively supporting and improving their instruments for much longer than a lot of companies do is so nice.

But yeah, I don’t expect major feature updates but it’s still fun to dream. I didn’t expect trig conditions (or even any more bugfix releases after 1.25h) either when I bought mine, but here we are.

…my OT arrives today and I learn this now… sadness