[ PDF Tool ] Tuning Table for Analog Rytm

Hello @MaximJazz
As we already discuss in this thread, i don’t know if it’s changed with recent firmware updates but it seems BDHD, BDCL and BDFM was the less accurate machine regarding tracking in terms of Key. If you need something more accurate everyone suggest BDPL, BDSH and BDSI.

That said you need to understand few things and your message is a bit confusing to me. as it goes in too many directions. But i will try to do my best.

First thing first : it’s a good thing to tune your kick in the key of your track (or in specific harmony in used) if you want a kick with a long release… Because the tail of the kick is sustained longer it can clash with other notes (bass notes etc…) - Something to have in mind is if the Kick is vey short and compressed or sidechained tuning the kick will have less effect than a very long sustained kick (like a 808 kick coming close to a bass synth because the release is long) and it may shaped to taste and dynamic rather to key note. Usually taste and hears must be the final judgment.

SO if we refer to the BDHD model machine you mentioned and when you need more informations usually refer to the end of the user manual to find for a dedicated model its controls (it’s vary regarding specific machine)

BDHD, in the “Tuning” section I set the note A (-2)

According to my table -2 is A sharp and not A, A is -4
Pay attention you are in not on the chromatic mode on the Analog Rytm. You selected you first voice BD1 and assign the BDHD model. Then in the Synth section (normally there’s nothing in Sample section but you should be sure you put it at zero so no sample is playing on top of your BDHD)

In the Synth page if you just want to tune you use the TUN parameter to set the pitch of the oscillator for sure. But if you don’t know Sound Synthesis and not really your Analog Rytm i suggest to understands prior to tune and shaping how this BDHD works before. The most simple for that is sort of reverse engineering the sound design. If you click on rotary knobs you will have the values set for the BDHD, click on TUN you will have a value, SWT (Sweep time) a value etc… You can write those value on a piece of paper so you can coming back to default then. (or you can reload the machine too)

I suggest Two things in terms of tuning to key. First it’s more easy few octaves higher to hear better what you do because in lows energy are moving a lot and in a spectrum it’s very hard to see a precise peak. In my tune table that’s what’s i’ve done. Next, you should kill the kick shaping to come more close to the fundamentals of the BDHD machine synth instead of the BDHD Kick sound design made by elektron. So i would kill the Sweep, Snap, Tic - i would set a short hold, i would make the Decay longer to hear better the TUN when dialing in… And i will stay on the purest tone on WAV parameter the Sine value is 0.

Then dial the TUN down and up, you will hear the synth going down in key and up in key. Use the value of my TUN Table and you should be close to what’s you looking for. If not as i said before try instead : BDPL, BDSH and BDSI. and see if it’s tracking better :wink:

That’s should help you to start… Then TUN with value of the Tune table. If you want you can pass audio through get signal under your DAW and use something like Ableton Spectrum or anything Spectrum giving you frequency range and their associated note/key

rytm1_2048x2048

When you set the tune you can restore every other value to default… Get the Decay to taste and the Punch you want. When you TUN is set it’s done. But if your Decay is too short, you will have difficulties to tune the machine that’s for sure. The longer you can hear the fundamentals of the kick body without punch (Sweep, Snap, Hold and Tic) easy it will be be to hear and feel the TUN in action.

The change of FRQ and resonance …, they have nothing to do with notes and do not change the root note

Of course but i don’t spoke about that, the TUN Table is relative to TUN Synth section when editing the machine. FRQ and RES is relative to the FILTER and unless you have in mind self resonating feature of a FILTER, those parameters as nothing to do with TUNING your drums.

If BDPL, BDSH and BDSI not tracking as per my TUN Table. Try first to play a pattern for some time until the machine is Warmer… It’s analog so… And see if the TUN table match better with the TUN

THEN maybe you can contact the technical support and ask if a re-calibration is necessary ...

13.8.4 CALIBRATION
Calibration will start the calibration routine for the oscillators and filters. After selecting this option, a popup window asking to confirm the calibration will appear. Press [YES/SAVE] to proceed with the calibration. Please note that the calibration routine takes quite a while to complete.

Please note that during calibration there will be loud and unpleasant sounds on the individual outs. Disconnect these during calibration.

Analog Rytm is factory calibrated. It should not be re-calibrated unless specifically stated by Elektron Support or if prompted by the machine. Before calibrating, it is important that the unit has been turned on for at least two hours to attain working temperature.

3 Likes

First, thanks for what you do! Thanks for your help.
I learned the instructions pretty well.
The fact is that my A RYTM now completely misses the right notes.
Your table shows that the note “B” for the BDHD drums is 0, but I checked that +1
BDCL +1
BDFM -1
If you use my drum machine, then your table is not correct, it is wrong by +1, -1
Calibration was done 3 times, as written in the instructions.
I can’t understand what to do, change the rytm or look for a problem…

Every machine is different and as it’s analog it’s vary… Technical support would told you that… as far as i can say and expecially on kick and these first series of machines the gap is not huge … SO make you own adjustement table based on your rythm :wink:

The table is not a precise measurement of your machine but mine and it’s perfectly fine and normal as it’s analog there’s slight difference and to me +1 is a slight difference. use you hears !
But honestly your rythm is perfectly fine. the tuning of the drums must not be something that locks you up or blocks you … If my Tune table not corresponding exactly to yours … Dial the amount so it’s in Tune for you that’s just the way it is -

4 Likes

Are there tunings for DVCO in this?

No, it’s not updated to DVCO. I don’t have anymore the machine for now

Well, if you know how to view plists this is what I use in my Collider App DVCO_TUNE.plist (5.7 KB) …If the value has a * next to it, it means it’s slightly sharp / flat…the DVCO starts at C and goes up / down in QUARTER TONES

4 Likes

Hi !

I wonder if the different engine of the Rytm will play the good key if I play them from an external keyboard ?

Per exemple : If I play a C on my keyboard, will any selected machine play a C ?

I’d like to know this as well.

It’s been a long time since i checked the midi configuration of the rytm, but it would be interesting to see how this interacts with midi note values.

From what I understood, the most accurate is the Dual VCO engine.

Edit: rubs eyes oops, I misinterpreted the question. No, playing it over MIDI externally does not make a difference to the accuracy of tuning.

Short answer is no. You still need to tune on the machine and the tracking is what it is regardless so any sharp or flatness still remain

I think what I’m actually is wondering is how the pitch tracking behaves, provided that you use midi note values from an external controller/sequencer. Unless I’m mistaken the tracking is pretty much hardwired and can’t be adjusted, no?

Correct, and no pitch bend or MPE implementation… so probably no big hope of pitch bend wizardry.

Hi,

thank you for your tuning table.
I have the analog rytm mk2 and I set the following:
In the TRIG Section: Note is at 0
In the Synth Section: Tune is at -8

My tuner in Ableton Live shows me the following tune:

The tuning doesn´t hit the middle in the green, is it important to hit the middle, or not?

Is it necessary to use the CALIBRATION in the machine menu in my case, or is this difference to your tuning table in the normal range?
Could something go wrong with the Calibration when I had my Rytm on Standby for 2 hours before the calibration, or must it really play for 2 hours?

Thanks in advance for help.

@Magnusch
I would not use the “tuner” for drums. It’s just (to me) not sufficiently accurate. I would use a oscilloscope/spectrum and froze the measurement when the waveform hit their stability. Most of the tunable drums are done with pitch modulation so that’s perfectly normal that if you use a “Tuner” you will see that modulation occurs in drifting (that’s why I said don’t use a tuner for drums - drums are too low and too complex to analyse it with the tuner method)

tips: the shorter the drums is the less it need to be in tune (you can still open up the decay to hit the stability, tune it and revert back to your design timings)
i open up the decay for every tunable machine, I remove (when I can) the pitch modulation to analyse every drum machine synth - to analyse only the fundamental “stable”. When tuning a drum you must tune only the fundamental aka the stable part of the sound, this is the part our hear is seeking for a note or waiting for a certain note. Before it’s all feel the dynamic of the drum instead of focus to a note.

What i have done with this tuntable is I use multiple method (including analyzing with Melodyne) I scan all values from the highest to the lowest and I (for some) deduced increment value - the more you go in the lowest note the less accurate your measurements are.

So you can use this trick at your own advantage - analyse your sound drum design 1 or 2 octave higher (with the increment I give) and if the note is correct 1/2 octave higher you should good to go. (and not recalibrate your device - still electron support said as it’s analog every device may vary on its own)

PS: then if you are really out of tune - then recalibrate might help but it needs to run at least 2 hours before to launch the recalibration process

1 Like

Thank you so much William.
Sorry for the late reply to your answer - I was in vacation.

When I understand you right, I can use the Spectrum analyzer from my DAW to check the tuning?
I use ableton live and there is a Spectrum analyzer on board.

Bests,
Marc

Are these Analog Rytm tuning tables still true after OS update 1.70?

after the update, the tune no longer matches the table :frowning: I’ll probably do this now: set the tune to zero, go to the TRIG page, and use encoder A to select the root note. I quickly tried it on DB machines and it matches. tune 0 = C note. it is necessary will try with other machines

is it that all machines in init patch are tuned to C?
anyone tested it?

1 Like

Yes most of them are tuned to C, though not all. It’s must better now in terms of tuning, no need for this wonderful table.

Hi Guys it was done a way back Feb 2017, I hope it helps some folks for a while…
I don’t have gears for quite some time not that I quit or something just on a real budget so I can’t update anything related to gears on those old goodies I made for elektonauts community sorry
Cheers

6 Likes