[ PDF Tool ] Tuning Table for Analog Rytm

I really don’t understand this tuning table topic. Is it for melodie or just to have the perfect tune for your kick? It seems, it’s something we all do by ears right? I’m not a piano player so i can’t think with C3, F#2. Is it possible to have a clear explanation? Because everybody seems to know already… sorry if it’s newbie questions.

it’s just a time saver either for Drums, either for use the Analog Rytm machine as Synth and make melodical content. Of course you can use your ears if you think you have Absolute/Perfect ear… naturally.

Music theory is when you make a track, your track is in Key of [ something ] and you must want to tune your drums according to that root key. by the exact same note (fundamental, Tonic) or regarding scale (music harmony)…

Every Drums is tuned (except noise based drums), if you open the decay and reset the pitch envelope… If this note is clashing with your root key… it should sound weird…

The basics is to have solid foundation and a duo Drums/Basses working well together…

Watch tutorial on how to find the root key of a song… or use a tool to get informations… (like mixed in key or something like that it can help when you don’t know how to do it)

Hi, i would like to ask if someone can clarify me how it works the relarion in values between tune value (many many thanks for the tables!) and note value in trig menu
Thanks

1 Like

@Zeros
it simple for each synth machine I give you a certain range of note (English notation) to values in number and for TUNE parameter. For instance, if we take BD Plastic if you set the TUNE at : -10 (numerical value on the RYTM screen for TUN parameter) you get a Kick tune in G (G0 in the PDF I give a range between C0 and C3 but of course not all the range is usable very low can be too low for giving something nice as a kick and not more usable for a sub bass because it’s simply to low… and too high also can be unusable trust your ears there)

For another instance with the Filter Self resonating, because it’s self resonating you can play it as a bass or sub bass (kind of Sine wave) it’s explain under the values table :

Set the Resonance until the filter self resonate.
Adjust Frequency parameter according to the
Table to get keys. For the Key of C3, set FRQ to
51. Then shape your sound with FILT Env and
AMP Env

Thanks for the replay, sorry but think i didn t explain it well. The concept of tune and ypur table is very clear for me. My question was on its relation with NOT (note) parameter in trig window. For instance a NOT value of -4 and Tune value at zero is like a Tune value of -4?
Thanks

@Zeros

NOT sets the pitch of the note when trigged, ranging from -24 to 24. When LIVE RECORDING and playing
in CHROMATIC mode, the pitch of the [PADS] played will override this setting.

The TUNE Table is intended to be on NOT = 0 otherwise it will be a mess for everyone. Technically if you set the TUN parameter of the BD Plastic to G0 as I said earlier : -10

And then you go in NOT in TRIG page setup and put the value of 2 your Kick should be tune then in A0
because of the Range it’s -24 / +24 so now it’s a real keyboard pitch range… it’s like the root note in a sampler if you’re set the root note on something else than C3 (if you know that your sample is A3 the sampler should be know that your sample is A3 on the root note parameter so then there’s no surprise to play correctly the sample on the keyboard) it will change values according to that root note… it’s like an offset

-24 / +24 mean = 2 octave down / 2 octave High
As there 12 notes in an octave

I don’t use this NOT parameters for now. But it should be nice when your kit is done and you need to play with a band in another key so you just have to offset all of your tunable drums to that key with this parameters probably simple to reshape everything.

Yes, i saw that recording in chromatic mode was modifying NOT parameter, and i was wondering how to understand which note i played. But if i understood well it is better in that case to go with ears. :slight_smile: Thanks a lot for your help and again for the tune tables. Great!

1 Like

The NOT parameter allows you to change the chromatic pitch of both the synth and the sample section together as one. Say you come up with a nice synth drum sound tuned how you want it and you layer a sample that’s not in tune with the synth so you adjust the tun and fin to match. Now when you want a different note for the combined sound, you use the NOT parameter instead of retuning the synth and then retuning the tun and fin of the sample…

1 Like

Right, good points :wink:

Great thread and tons of knowledge here!

2 Likes

Lets say i have a synth drum tuned on C1, so with a NOT value of +4 (four semitones) the synth should be tuned to E1 if I understood well. This is true in theory or also in practice? I cannot meausure it but with ears it sounds not so precise, but rytm was powered on only for one hour

I will give it a try tomorrow but all machine are analog and it can be slightly different between each machine. I will tell you tomorrow :wink:

Not all the synth engines track correct over octaves. BD plastic,silky,sharp, cowbell, and I forget maybe rimshot track octaves well, maybe some others too. For most the rest you will find you need to make corrections with a not and tun combo and possibly use an lfo fine tuning trick(search for this)…

1 Like

Frequency analysis will also tell us the note of a kick drum.

1 Like

Nice table! Thanks for this

2 Likes

This is awesome thanks so much

2 Likes

Wow cool thx!!

2 Likes

Bonjour Monsieur Wild - we were just about measuring everything ourself yesterday, prepared tuner and all that stuff already.
Thanks god (or whomever), i found your very, very awesome cheat sheet.

Really… i know that was not a five minute job! Big hugs man!

But it was a bit complicated to download zuip, unpack, put it on iPad to speedread it.
Therefore, I have prepared a scribd with just the PDF pages so it is easier to find and read for everyone in the www.

Could you check that out and confirm if that is okay for you like that?
I added the (BY-NC-ND) CC Licensing.

Very best from ze germans - and again… THANKS MAN! :hamburger:

4 Likes

You have my blessing imoahuman for that no worry. it’s just a bit of time… and the purpose is to SHARE so…

Just one thing to note and it’s coming from Elektron tech support :slight_smile:

“as it’s ANALOG it may vary for each machine a bit but not that much.”

2 Likes