Pattern volume jumps - how to avoid?

Ok, I’ve done several searches on the forum, and I can’t find anything in the manual either. Maybe I’m just missing something really simple*.

When I adjust levels on the Mixer page, these changes only affect the pattern being played.

While I’m sure this is the default behaviour, is there any way to change levels so that ALL pattens are changed?

This is driving me absolutely nuts - every time I switch patterns there is a significant jump in volume. While I’m sure this default behaviour has its uses, it’s seems really counterintuitive atm.

each pattern is its own thing on the digitakt and digitone all you can do is copy the sound or certin pages across, the rytm and a4 use a kit system that can share across patterns…
some people prefer it some dont

1 Like

When creating patterns that are made to be played in a chain, you shouldn’t touch the mixer while creating these. So that you don’t have imbalance between those. if you need to change levels between patterns, you can use the pattern master volume setting on the compressor page. ( on the left of the screen)

1 Like

I don’t own a DT but balancing patterns an patches is a prep thing for me. I use a mixer and try and keep the levels consistent when creating - this has been the case for me in DAWs, groove boxes an synths. It’s a pain in the ass as it’s best to have a process set before you start filling up machines. Don’t think there’s an easy way…

1 Like

Dang, that’s a bummer.

I start making variations and alternate patterns, and eventually decide, ‘yeah, that snare is too loud’, continue making patterns…

…and of course, when I eventually jump back to my OG pattern - POW - massive jump in volume. :flushed:

Erm… while I can see that there are potential benefits to each patterns having its own levels, atm it’s REALLY counterintuitive to me. Even with this knowledge, I know I’m going to get caught out with this again.

Is the best workflow to 100% be certain of your relative levels BEFORE starting to make variations/new patterns?

2 Likes

Can anyone who is more experienced with developing large DT projects explain how this is default behaviour is beneficial, and the best workflow to use when keeping this behaviour in mind?

Everything being in the pattern is much simpler, which is probably why the Digi boxes work like that – you’ll see in A4 & AR threads people similarly being driven nuts by fact that kits are separate from patterns, and end up losing changes they’ve made to sounds etc. I prefer the kit-based system on those machines as it means you won’t get the issues that you’re describing.

You can copy the MIX page and then paste it onto other patterns to keep the levels the same. Hit FUNC+LFO+COPY to copy it. For differences in sounds (which is what bugs me quite a bit – if I change the filtering on the hi-hat on one pattern and want that across the project, for example) you can either copy/paste the particular param page and paste it into all of your other patterns, or export the sound and re-import it in each pattern. Pretty laborious!

3 Likes

I think I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were talking about balancing patterns that are parts of different songs and not patterns that go into creating 1 song. Yeah that is probably even more annoying than what I described. If you are using a lot of patterns for one song then that’s a ball-ache!

2 Likes

There is a lot of discussion in an existing topic on the same subject, and many people seemed to like this suggestion:

2 Likes

Oh, wow, that shortcut is great - I didn’t know that one, I’ll have to try it. That pretty much solves my problem.

So, from your post, that shortcut (FUNC + LFO + COPY) works to copy settings from ANY param page?

(And, presumably, FUNC + LFO + PASTE pastes the params, yes?)

That will copy the page you are on under the lfo menu. Unfortunately there are 3 pages under lfo so make sure you’re on the right page you would like to copy.

2 Likes

Yeah you can copy any parameter page. It’s not the same shortcut for each page though - for filter you’ll hit FLTR+Copy, for example. And yes to paste you do the same but use paste instead of copy.

I know you can copy the whole sound and every parameter by holding the sound selection button and copy on digitone…
not sure if can copy the whole sound on digitakt

In my opinion yes. I had the same headache as you had. It happens aswell when you change other parameters in the sound. When the next pattern hits your back to basic.

The Digitakt isn’t made for creating a song or live structure over multiple patterns. It can, but then you have to leave it untouched or do quick copy paste functions. That’s a hassle, because you constantly copy and pasting between the changes and when the track moves to the other pattern. But I decided to see the box as it is and stop complaining about what it doesn’t is, I embrace what it can do and that is heaps of fun.

I think the Digitakt and Tone are made so that a single pattern can be played live and for performing. When you move to the next your next song or project will start. Works great when you have multiple devices so you can create transitions. And if you want to do a long project with multiple patterns and chain them? The prepare one pattern so it is exactly how you want the volumes before pasting it to the next.

1 Like

Thats a pretty snazzy workaround there! copypasting and only reloading the seq data I mean. I always wondered why elektron didn’t thought of catering to this on the digis… well, apparently they actually did :diddly: This will come in handy with my DN.

FWIW I prefer the kits/patterns paradigm of the analog boxes, but this makes things much more bearable.

After a while i stopped searching for an easy workaround and now i stay in one pattern all the time. I’ve changed from making songs to playing sessions tweaking everything live. Now i have more fun playing improvised music than producing tracks like i did before. But it took some time to learn my way around and letting go of the wish to craft songs with the Digitakt.

2 Likes

I work this way on the dark trinity. I think it makes me use the performance aspects of the boxes more and keeps things fresh as I never play it exactly the same way twice.

1 Like

So, are you just tweaking and jamming on a single pattern? Is that what you mean?

Ideally, I’d like to create a few different ideas (as different patterns) - and jam + tweak and record them into my DAW.

The only way to make sure that levels are appropriate across patterns is to either reference with good ears and headphones you trust and cross-reference as you build the patterns, or use a VU meter (either analog or digital) to make sure they’re hitting the same levels. Even cheap hardware mixers have a primitive VU meter with LEDs (Yamaha 6 channel mixer is my go-to), and you can dish out some cash for a dedicated VU meter, but Overbridge lets you see it in Ableton. And you can get a decent VU algo from Sonimus Satson for $50.

But yeah. You’ve gotta work to level patterns as part of workflow. This is what mastering engineers are typically tasked with for an album, but since the advent of technology where anyone can do everything…well, now the bedroom producer has to learn mastering.

Yes. I got used to it. But of course i’d still like Elektron to change the whole one-kit-per-pattern system.