Parse error, brand new octatrack

Wondering about getting a parse error on my brand new OT? I’ve literally just started using it.

I’ve ordered a new card but is it hardware or card related? Wondering if I should return the OT instead or is that not the issue? Thanks for any help.

…what’s a parse error ?

while the chances that the card is faulty are way more likely to happen, than some hardware issue…

like all other units, it must have passed it’s final check after assembling…

if u can wait another while, send it back and ask for a replacement straigt away…
if not, get another card, there’s not that much to miss about that “preset” content to find on it anyways and u gonna need ur own, bigger, better, faster card pretty soon, too…

but keep in mind, that card slot is the only real fragile part on that whole thing…
so go easy and carefully on it, whenever switching the cv card…

Possibly not, I’d ask Elektron support for advice and explain what you had been doing prior in terms of user projects/loads etc - hold off on opening/using a new card until you have contacted support for clarification on how it may have arisen

There’s a solution (empty reset) posted here, but before considering doing that you need to ask Elektron first to see if it’s as benign as it appears here

1 Like

I had the same thing with mine last month, only had it for a couple of weeks.

The solution is in one of those other parse error topics.
It’s simple, just reload the same project.

But also buying a better quality CF card is not a bad idea.

2 Likes

Elektron initial reply is that it’s likely the cf card. Waiting on next reply but almost instant response from customer support!

2 Likes

Nice to hear that their customer support is quick.

I haven’t had the parse error since that one time, but I also read that the supplied CF card is not the best quality and can cause problems.
So I also ordered a better card yesterday.

I’d like to read what the final verdict from Elektron is, because if the original card I’m using now could be broken, it would be nice to know that.

I’ll update for sure.

2 Likes

Any update? I just got this error today on my Mkii :frowning:

1 Like

What is your card ?
Do you have it / use it since a long time ?

Think it’s the original one. Yeah I’ve had it for a year and bought the OT used. Its been fine.

I deleted the project that wouldn’t load. Loaded my template file. Saved as new. Renamed it and powered off. I powered on and everything seems to be working. The new project loaded fine.

Maybe the old name - july22222 messed it up? I had not loaded any samples yet or anything.

Also meant to ask if there is a recommended cf card replacement.

Doesn’t seem to be with strange characters…

I had this PARSE ERROR with my original card (MKI, Kingston 16GB), but my card was almost full, used since maybe 5 years, with a lot of projects.

Then I had a card crash, almost all projects deleted. I think it’s because I turned off OT just after power on, during card files loading. Backup important files ! (I didn’t).

Seemed to work correctly after formating. But now I’ll use it as backup card.

IIRC some writing errors can concern only certain banks, so you can recover some banks copying them in a new project, or with a Save As New procedure (if you can).

Some users, including me, chose a Sandisk Extreme (gold) 64 GB, or 32 GB.

Max is 64 GB.

Great thanks! Maybe I should get one to be safe. Is this the card you are talking about?

Yep.

1 Like

Here’s what was sent to me via email: What most likely has happened is that some of the files on your CF card have become corrupted, and are causing the Project to load erroneously. Could you try if saving the project as new in the Octatrack makes any difference?

Are any other projects affected or does it only happen in that specific project? Could you also send a picture of the back of the CF card that was shipped with your Octatrack? Have you been moving the project files around to and from a computer? Or have you edited them outside of the Octatrack?

Parse Errors are not indicative of a hardware issue. It could potentially be a problem with the CF card though.

I haven’t had any issues since then, but I plan on switching to the better cf card linked above at some point.

2 Likes

Thats awesome. Thanks. Yeah I deleted the corrupt project and my template project loaded fine. Made a new one and I’ll see if it loads up tonight.

I did put some samples on my ot before this happened via usb so maybe that caused it. Im buying a new card to be safe.

If it happens again, try Save As New. IIRC it solved this problem for me, and it seems recommended by Elektron :

1 Like

I had a PARSE ERROR today !
A bank was blinking red (MKI).

SAVE TO NEW solved it.

1 Like

That’s a “not so friendly” reminder about making a backup again, isn’t it? :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but I’ve nothing essential to backup anyway…